Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Baby Groot didn't bother me either. I liked that he was still developing and as such was a bit on a dumb side. In the post credits we saw that he had grown into Teenage Groot (in truth the entire credits were hilarious).

Post credits are one thing, but IN the movie, Groot was dumb, cute and irritating. Did I mention cuuuuuute? Right in the beginning, they tried to pick up his dancing, but the person doing the motion capture dancing this time could not dance. The first dancing Groot was on beat, and was probably Vin Diesel doing the dancing (he can dance well). The new dancing Groot was off beat, not a good dancer and just did not have the same impact. And when they did the bit with Drax looking, then looking away, it was a fail. And then the rest of the Groot stuff was all a fail IMO. Yeah, I get it that they want to sell a Baby Groot action figure. :cool:. I did watch the credits, but those are the credits. They come after more than two hours of MOVIE.

Rocket was all over this. His best performance yet. :) I was not into Drax calling Mantis ugly. What was that all about? It was strange to say the least, even though I got the understated budding romance between them.

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
The original dancing Baby Groot was James Gunn. Plus he was far from the focus of the film, which was set only three months after the first film. As to post credits stuff, whether we like it or not it is now part of how movies are presented. And one thing Gunn showed us was that Baby Groot is now maturing and has become Teenage Groot.

Drax and Mantis had a strange yet funny relationship. The insults were part of how Drax communicates; he used to be completely literal but has been experimenting with metaphors and indirect speech. He was trying to deflect what he thought was budding romantic interest from her, and when she explained that she does not work that way (remember Ego found her in her Pupal state - Mantis is an insectoid with a humanoid form) he then was doing it more as playfulness.

Remember when he was looking at the ponds and thinking of his lost family and she touched him? Her empathy showed that under the exterior he is still mourning for them. What Mantis and Drax became is friends.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
In addition to my previous comment about Groot, I wouldn't mind seeing him as a saggy couch potato. He'd be all like yeah what whatever teenage rebellion and whatnot. Then something serious happens. Something bad happens to someone whom Groot cares for dearly and he tries to prevent it from happening but due to his couch potatoness he doesn't quite reach as far as needed and he can't stop it. The "person" is captured and tortured or something. (no dying, that would be too much) Maybe the bad guy even taunts Groot and laughs at him. Then Groot would be all wallowing in pity. Then someone else, like Rocket, would "pick him up" and make sure he'll get back on his feet. There'll be an intensive Groot training program and he becomes musclegroot. Then they go and save the day. Groot gets his revenge on the bad guy in some way or another.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Absolutely loved it . It was as good as the first . Kinda funny to see Kurt Russel . He is still the real Jack O'neill to me ...or Snake Pliskin lol ...

;)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Absolutely loved it . It was as good as the first . Kinda funny to see Kurt Russel . He is still the real Jack O'neill to me ...or Snake Pliskin lol ...

;)

Fo sho on the bolded! I never really thought of the SG1 Jack as being a TV version of the REAL Jack, and I let it slide since the movie Jack is Jack O'Neil and the SG1 Jack is Jack O'Neill

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The original dancing Baby Groot was James Gunn. Plus he was far from the focus of the film, which was set only three months after the first film. As to post credits stuff, whether we like it or not it is now part of how movies are presented. And one thing Gunn showed us was that Baby Groot is now maturing and has become Teenage Groot.

Drax and Mantis had a strange yet funny relationship. The insults were part of how Drax communicates; he used to be completely literal but has been experimenting with metaphors and indirect speech. He was trying to deflect what he thought was budding romantic interest from her, and when she explained that she does not work that way (remember Ego found her in her Pupal state - Mantis is an insectoid with a humanoid form) he then was doing it more as playfulness.

Remember when he was looking at the ponds and thinking of his lost family and she touched him? Her empathy showed that under the exterior he is still mourning for them. What Mantis and Drax became is friends.

So he claims. :) Nobody actually saw him dance, and I just would have to see that for myself. I think whomever did the original dancing Groot was not him only because of the moves. But, nobody else claimed it but him. Whatever the case, the new dancing Groot has absolutely no good dance moves.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Gunn has no reason to lie. He's on video doing the dance from GotG2 and in the extras from GotG1 he talks about it.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Gunn has no reason to lie. He's on video doing the dance from GotG2 and in the extras from GotG1 he talks about it.

Ok, you win...here he is doing the actual Baby Groot dance. It's definitely him. :)

Now look at the no-dancing, lame moves of the other two guys. :anim_59:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
That's part of why I like James Gunn - he is not overly full of himself and it shows in his films, which likewise don't take themselves excessively seriously.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
That's part of why I like James Gunn - he is not overly full of himself and it shows in his films, which likewise don't take themselves excessively seriously.

Wait...further snooping reveals that he also did the dancing for Baby Groot in the beginning of the new movie! He should have just stuck with the potted plant dance, cause otherwise he is....not as good (being nice!)

I know I'm late to the party but I finally saw Vol 2 now that it's streaming on Netflix. It was awesome! They did an amazing job. I'm a tough sell but they won me over. The production was top notch. The CGI was perfect, the jokes were hilarious and the story had continuity to it. Well done! Can't wait for the next one. I'd even go see it in the theater. :beckett_new049:

*Was cool seeing Ben Browder in a cameo. I recognized him even though he was wearing a lot of gold makeup.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I know I'm late to the party but I finally saw Vol 2 now that it's streaming on Netflix. It was awesome! They did an amazing job. I'm a tough sell but they won me over. The production was top notch. The CGI was perfect, the jokes were hilarious and the story had continuity to it. Well done! Can't wait for the next one. I'd even go see it in the theater. :beckett_new049:

*Was cool seeing Ben Browder in a cameo. I recognized him even though he was wearing a lot of gold makeup.

I am planning on seeing it in the theater next time too. :)