Guardians of the Galaxy Part 3 - the first decent Marvel film in quite a while

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Yes I finally got to see GotGv3. And it's not bad. It isn't up to the standards of the first two but is still solid and had good acting and characters and sent them off well.

On the good side, good acting all around and good characterizations. Finally a strong villain as well - the High Evolutionary is for once (in Marvel) not misunderstood but pure evil. Rocket gets a storyline that fills in his blanks nicely also.

On the less good side, the story was a bit overlong and James Gunn was a bit hamstrung here by bad writing choices earlier (In Avengers Infinity Wars and above all Endgame). You can tell he had a different ending in mind for Peter and Gamora but his hand was forced by others and the blame goes on Kevin Feige - the Russo's should have been told they could only use the Guardians if ALL of them were back exactly the way Gunn left them at the end of Vol 2.

And so the Guardians trilogy ends. To me it is still BY FAR the best thing the MCU produced outside of the original Iron Man. In fact, despite their attempts to knit it in these films do not feel MCU or really fully Marvel - they never have. Gunn did his own thing to a large degree and it is a good thing.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
I'm waiting for this to be available on Disney+.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Makes sense. I had the time and also some Fandango bucks so I figured a James Gunn film (I like his work) was a good use of it.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
It was decent. Of course now that it is done so is Gunn with Marvel. His next work will be Superman Legacy - the first of the new DC films since they fired the old creatives who messed it all ump. On the good side he has gotten good actors for Superman and Lois Lane. Seeing as The Suicide Squad and Peacemaker were both pretty good I think the MCU is going to be kicking themselves over pushing Gunn out.