Grow your own food/ home, yard and garden DIY stuff/fixing your own home issues

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Perfect for "apple" pie! There is nothing like pear juice to sweeten the pie :) weet pears and some added pear juice means you do not have to add sugar.

yeah, but if use my "friedpears" recipe above, you wont have to wait an hour or consume all those unnecessary carbs from the crust :encouragement:

Last edited:

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
Perfect for "apple" pie! There is nothing like pear juice to sweeten the pie :) sweet pears and some added pear juice means you do not have to add sugar.

Pear juice is sometimes given to infants as their first juice because it is hypoallergenic and is mostly fructose, but Wikipedia claims that it is linked with childhood obesity.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Pear juice is sometimes given to infants as their first juice because it is hypoallergenic and is mostly fructose, but Wikipedia claims that it is linked with childhood obesity.

Yes, it's mostly all fructose...but it is still better than refined sugar, and it makes great sweetening in stuff where the taste will be complimentary.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Yes, it's mostly all fructose...but it is still better than refined sugar, and it makes great sweetening in stuff where the taste will be complimentary.

Id rather eat a little bit of something that is real though "bad" than something that is synthetic and "good" any day

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
Id rather eat a little bit of something that is real though "bad" than something that is synthetic and "good" any day

Poison Ivy is 100% natural. Even if you are not allergic to it, if you eat some, then you will spend a few weeks in the hospital.

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan

Yes, most of the problem with High Fructose Corn Syrup is the glucose, not the fructose. The other problem is the price, which results in it being put into nearly all processed foods (like spaghetti sauce).

I have a sister-in-law who makes authentic Italian food, but she makes the sauces even sweeter than the corporations. I can't take very much.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Poison Ivy is 100% natural. Even if you are not allergic to it, if you eat some, then you will spend a few weeks in the hospital.

r-i-g-h-t...but i never heard of anyone using poison ivy as a food source...

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
I have a sister-in-law who makes authentic Italian food, but she makes the sauces even sweeter than the corporations. I can't take very much.

Sugar is added to tomato sauce to cut the acidity, not for flavor. She's using too much. Americans have gotten so infused with sugar in everything that they actually believe every single thing needs to taste sweet.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
So not food, but something I did do on my own (I'll edit the thread title)

started out about 15 yrs ago as a small hole I dug with garbage bags as a liner and a couple of carnival goldfish

then got bigger with real liners and carpeting,etc as under layment

got some Koi

got "addicted" to it

in this pic, I had 2 ponds side by side, decided to unite them

had to get one side deep enough for a lotus to winter over and also, deeper is better for fish to hibernate and to hide from the eagles and hawks and herons in the area

just got it done--i had to splice 2 liners together with butyl tape and spray on rubber coating

it is now about 16 ft long and about 9 ft wide at its widest

about 3 1/2 deep at its deepest

did it all by hand and no power tools,etc--all over time-starting with that original garbage bag lined hole in the ground

IMG_20141030_140317.jpg
IMG_20141030_140001.jpg

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
yeah, but if use my "friedpears" recipe above, you wont have to wait an hour or consume all those unnecessary cards from the crust :encouragement:

This actually sounds like a better alternative to my "apple pie" which I use Carbquik for. :) Ill try it as soon as I get my hands on some pears this weekend.

So not food, but something I did do on my own (I'll edit the thread title)

started out about 15 yrs ago as a small hole I dug with garbage bags as a liner and a couple of carnival goldfish

then got bigger with real liners and carpeting,etc as under layment

got some Koi

got "addicted" to it

in this pic, I had 2 ponds side by side, decided to unite them

had to get one side deep enough for a lotus to winter over and also, deeper is better for fish to hibernate and to hide from the eagles and hawks and herons in the area

just got it done--i had to splice 2 liners together with butyl tape and spray on rubber coating

it is now about 16 ft long and about 9 ft wide at its widest

about 3 1/2 deep at its deepest

did it all by hand and no power tools,etc--all over time-starting with that original garbage bag lined hole in the ground

View attachment 30454 View attachment 30455

AWESOME! I love ponds. Do you experience any seepage from the liners? Could you do a much smaller version INDOORS? You did a lot of work on that pond. :) I love the fact that you did not use mortar on the stones, and I really like those little figurines you have around it...the little frog, the Buddha and that cool bench and the swing couch. Its like you have created a little private park there. A nice peaceful place to sit and think and connect with Nature. Beautiful!

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
This actually sounds like a better alternative to my "apple pie" which I use Carbquik for. :) Ill try it as soon as I get my hands on some pears this weekend.

AWESOME! I love ponds. Do you experience any seepage from the liners? Could you do a much smaller version INDOORS? You did a lot of work on that pond. :) I love the fact that you did not use mortar on the stones, and I really like those little figurines you have around it...the little frog, the Buddha and that cool bench and the swing couch. Its like you have created a little private park there. A nice peaceful place to sit and think and connect with Nature. Beautiful!

Like I said--it was done over time==thanks

got bigger each time

I have no seepage with "real" liners--they are made for this (though you can get 10mil plastic and it will mostly work as well) they are butyl rubber with a mesh sandwiched between them==thinner plastic will get pressure spots over time where they will allow some water to escape

i dont waste the money on real under liners--a rip off. just use old blankets, bubble wrap, old towels, even old clothes--anything to cushion the liner from up pressure from rocks or roots

an indoor version could def be done-i have seen them, usually small--from a lined wooden half-barrel, to a ground level converted bath tub, to a free form in floor shape==all do able

everything you see (except liner and pumps from amazon) was either bought at a place like ROSS or BIG LOTS. whether the figs or the swing. The wooden bench we bought at one of annual chainsaw carver's rendezvous.

all of the fish (at the time of the pic were still in my other pond) i bought small. the size koi i have, if bought at their current size would cost hundreds-buy them at 4-6" and they are like $6. most of the goldfish were won by my kids at the carnival

they grow real fast and will reproduce in-pond

---------------------------------------------------
the more flower beds, gardens, ponds and trees we have the less grass to cut!

besides-whether a pond, flower or veg garden all are more productive then grass which just consumes energy (personal and fuel). at least from a pond you get relaxation, from a garden you get food--grass gives you nothing

good thing, with the pond is that not only did i pay little for the components (believe me, some ppl spend way too much-from labor to materials, they get ripped off big time) and did the work myself-the approx 2000 gals or so of water is free as we pay nothing for our water save the electric to pump it up. if i were in town, it would be rather expensive

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Like I said--it was done over time==thanks

got bigger each time

I have no seepage with "real" liners--they are made for this (though you can get 10mil plastic and it will mostly work as well) they are butyl rubber with a mesh sandwiched between them==thinner plastic will get pressure spots over time where they will allow some water to escape

i dont waste the money on real under liners--a rip off. just use old blankets, bubble wrap, old towels, even old clothes--anything to cushion the liner from up pressure from rocks or roots

an indoor version could def be done-i have seen them, usually small--from a lined wooden half-barrel, to a ground level converted bath tub, to a free form in floor shape==all do able

everything you see (except liner and pumps from amazon) was either bought at a place like ROSS or BIG LOTS. whether the figs or the swing. The wooden bench we bought at one of annual chainsaw carver's rendezvous.

all of the fish (at the time of the pic were still in my other pond) i bought small. the size koi i have, if bought at their current size would cost hundreds-buy them at 4-6" and they are like $6. most of the goldfish were won by my kids at the carnival

they grow real fast and will reproduce in-pond

---------------------------------------------------
the more flower beds, gardens, ponds and trees we have the less grass to cut!

besides-whether a pond, flower or veg garden all are more productive then grass which just consumes energy (personal and fuel). at least from a pond you get relaxation, from a garden you get food--grass gives you nothing

good thing, with the pond is that not only did i pay little for the components (believe me, some ppl spend way too much-from labor to materials, they get ripped off big time) and did the work myself-the approx 2000 gals or so of water is free as we pay nothing for our water save the electric to pump it up. if i were in town, it would be rather expensive

I love that. :) What is the rating of that pump you are using so you get that jet? I was looking online for water pumps and for an indoor pond it should be around 150gals an hour maybe? Im thinking of making a container pond for indoors.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I love that. :) What is the rating of that pump you are using so you get that jet? I was looking online for water pumps and for an indoor pond it should be around 150gals an hour maybe? Im thinking of making a container pond for indoors.

that pump is the smaller of the 2--it also very much depends on the type of fountain/"spitter" and your distance and lift

the lift specs of this pump (mine) $21 on amazon--new with attachments kit
  • SPECIFICATIONS: Salt or fresh water ready with flow Rates of 291 Gallons Per Hour (GPH) @ 0' Lift; 271 GPH @ 1' Lift; 251 GPH @ 2' Lift; 218 GPH @ 3' Lift; 172 GPH @ 4' Lift; 120 GPH @ 5' Lift; 26 GPH @ 6' Lift; Max Lift - 6' 3". Dimensions are 3.50" x 2.80" x 3.27". 120VAC - 16 WATTS - 60Hz. 1 year limited warranty when sold by PonicsFarms.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006M6MTMI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

another thing to look at as well is that the pump has an intake grate and if you are going to have any live plants in your set up. they will create "flotsam" (never get to use that word--:encouragement:) that WILL jam up your grate. Easy to clean, but, you can not get into the pump to clean out what made it into the pump

this-over time, decreases your flow

the pump will not burn out in the traditional way--it is lubricated by the water flow and there is no oil

of course you can buy more expensive pumps

there is one you can't see in the pic--it is similar but has a removable housing around the grate so you can get into the impeller and clean it out

YJ02

Well Known GateFan

ALSO

I will try to remember to take another pic in the early summer-like late may. that is when everything starts to bloom-the water plants and the plants around the border--wild and domesticated iris', "butterfly" bushes, forget me nots and some i don't even know-just found then in the woods

we bought another "artic" lotus this yr==of course it did not bloom this yr but it should next yr
it is possible to have these in our cold climate--hell the things grow wild in siberia and manchuria as well as korea. so just have to buy the right kind and keep it deep enough

i also let the fish stay in all yr long

some ppl think i am BS them when i tell them--they bring their in which is actually bad for the fish-esp the koi

it is best to leave them in, let them hibernate in a deep enough pond (at least 30") and put in a floating heater to create an air opening in the ice for gas exchanges

WARNING!!!! This is a highly addictive hobby and can be very expensive if you get "stupid" about it! :icon_lol:

--------------------------
So how do you like the female statuette? She is "Kwon yin/ guan yin" in chinese and "Gwanse-um" in Korean

my wife got her plain white a long time ago when she was an active buddhist (YES!! OM1-- def NOT trying to get into a "religion" discussion here--just saying :icon_lol:)

after my hip replacement when i couldn't do much-i got some acylics and painted her using what i saw in korean temples as "motivation":icon_e_ugeek::icon_e_ugeek: how geeky of me yes?

the gold one is a cheap one from ROSS'

Bluce Ree

ALSO

I will try to remember [...]

around the border--wild and domesticated [...] forget me nots [...] even know-just found [...]

we bought another "artic" lotus this yr==of course it [...]

in our cold climate--hell the things grow [...]

when i tell them--they bring their [...] the fish-esp the koi [...]

--------------------------
[...]
NOT trying to get into a "religion" discussion here--just saying [...]

couldn't do much-i got some acylics and painted [...]

Dude, I enjoy reading your posts but they are so f'ing painful to read. :icon_lol:

You liberally sprinkle dashes and tildes all over the place except where you're supposed to use them, like "forget-me-nots". :beguiled:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Dude, I enjoy reading your posts but they are so f'ing painful to read. :icon_lol:

You liberally sprinkle dashes and tildes all over the place except where you're supposed to use them, like "forget-me-nots". :beguiled:

:icon_e_surprised: === --, --; : : ===. ? :vala-newanime016:

:anim_59:

Yes, well I tend to believe that forums-as a replacement for the real original "forum" - a place of face to face contact and verbal discussion--is a place where one should "type as they talk"

I know, I am just quirky that way

Now, if you want to start a thread discussing the finer points of English composition, cool -----------

I know,I know, these "barbaric" actions I take with the English language must be quite the affront to your Canadian educated mind

up there, you guys never drop a vowel and hit all those consonants so hard---the end of your spoken sentences are so drastic that one can nearly see the period mark floating above the Canadian's head in a real time comic book type bubble cloud :topsy_turvy:

In the future, I will try not to offend thy majestic-ness oh Duke of Speakdom! :redface:

Bluce Ree

:icon_e_surprised: === --, --; : : ===. ? :vala-newanime016:

:anim_59:

Yes, well I tend to believe that forums-as a replacement for the real original "forum" - a place of face to face contact and verbal discussion--is a place where one should "type as they talk"

You pronounce dashes and tildes? :icon_lol:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
yeah, but if use my "friedpears" recipe above, you wont have to wait an hour or consume all those unnecessary cards from the crust :encouragement:

I tried this! Yes, the taste is all there, but essentially it is the pie filling without the crust. Tastes excellent, but I found that I miss the crust broken up in there. :( Your version is lower carb though...I found it quite tasty. :)