"Green Lantern" can't pull in the...green

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
http://movies.yahoo.com/news/movies.reuters.com/green-lantern-falls-short-box-office-reuters

I like the character of Green Lantern and I don't hate Ryan Reynolds but I have no desire to pay money to see such an egregiously overt CGI movie. I mean, his costume is CGI! Obviously I'm not alone in my assessment cuz "Green Lantern" fell short of bringing in the scrilla this opening weekend.

And what's with these ridiculous production and marketing costs? $200 million to produce and $125 million to market? Seriously??? :eek: That's crazy.

G

Graybrew1

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/movies.reuters.com/green-lantern-falls-short-box-office-reuters

I like the character of Green Lantern and I don't hate Ryan Reynolds but I have no desire to pay money to see such an egregiously overt CGI movie. I mean, his costume is CGI! Obviously I'm not alone in my assessment cuz "Green Lantern" fell short of bringing in the scrilla this opening weekend.

And what's with these ridiculous production and marketing costs? $200 million to produce and $125 million to market? Seriously??? :eek: That's crazy.

My kid saw XMen First Class, and said she was very glad she did not pick Green Lantern instead.
I plan on wating for Green Lantern to go to cable.

Tropicana

Council Member
I still don't get why the film decided to focus on "Hall Jordan"-Green Lantern, instead of "John Stewart"-Green Lantern who's probably the most famous Green Lantern out of all of them.

greenlantern_johnstewart_cartoon.jpg

Possibly many were also wondering the same thing and felt that, since the film has a white guy as male lead, (while many probably expected a black guy due to reason that I highlighted above), they didn't bother to go.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I agree. X-Men First Class for all its flaws is infinitely better than Green Lantern.

By the way, if you've never seen X-Men or X-Men 2: X-Men United I heartily recommend it. These were the first films since Superman 2 that showed you can make compelling and watchable comic book based films. And a key reason is that they toned down the "comic" element and put their superheroes in a more realistic setting - something other franchises copied in the years that followed.

G

Graybrew1

I agree. X-Men First Class for all its flaws is infinitely better than Green Lantern.

By the way, if you've never seen X-Men or X-Men 2: X-Men United I heartily recommend it. These were the first films since Superman 2 that showed you can make compelling and watchable comic book based films. And a key reason is that they toned down the "comic" element and put their superheroes in a more realistic setting - something other franchises copied in the years that followed.

Yes, but to get back OT, I would be willing to bet that Green Lantern did not, right?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Yes, but to get back OT, I would be willing to bet that Green Lantern did not, right?

No it didn't - which is one of the problems. The same issue also pulled Thor down a bit.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I still don't get why the film decided to focus on "Hall Jordan"-Green Lantern, instead of "John Stewart"-Green Lantern who's probably the most famous Green Lantern out of all of them.

View attachment 4587

Possibly many were also wondering the same thing and felt that, since the film has a white guy as male lead, (while many probably expected a black guy due to reason that I highlighted above), they didn't bother to go.

Yep, and right now there needs to be some diversity in our superheroes. The only non-white guys who have been superheroes in the past 10 years have been Hancock and Blade. But beyond that minor quibble, the movie is getting horrible reviews already.

G

Graybrew1

No it didn't - which is one of the problems. The same issue also pulled Thor down a bit.

Stupid question, but where have all the good writers gone? All that money spent on making GL and marketing it and bad writing again? :facepalm:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Yep, and right now there needs to be some diversity in our superheroes. The only non-white guys who have been superheroes in the past 10 years have been Hancock and Blade. But beyond that minor quibble, the movie is getting horrible reviews already.

Also Storm in X-Men and War Machine in Iron Man.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Also Storm in X-Men and War Machine in Iron Man.

Yes, but those were side heroes, not leads. War Machine in Iron Man (as well as Iron Man himself) is not a superhero. :). But like I said, its not really a dealbreaker for me, just an observation.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Yes, but those were side heroes, not leads. War Machine in Iron Man (as well as Iron Man himself) is not a superhero. :). But like I said, its not really a dealbreaker for me, just an observation.

Iron Man is indeed a superhero, and one of my favorites because it isn't because of "powers" he has but instead his ingenuity in developing the suit. And I would add War Machine because (in Iron Man 2) he was much more than just a side hero - he was Tony's close friend who helped pull him out of the tailspin he went into.

As to X-Men, the interesting thing is that there really isn't a main hero. The original 2 films tend to look at things through the eyes of Wolverine because he gives the perfect outsider view. But Storm is every bit the equal of Wolverine on the team (indeed, the final disposition of things has Storm taking over for Xavier and being partners with Wolverine - who seems to be the head of the "team" when it goes into battle).

I also would find a Hancock sequel to be interesting. What is he like now that he understands his own origins and isn't behaving badly anymore?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Also I really liked Blade in the first two films, but the third was crud.

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
Not to mention zero lead Latinos or Asians, I believe... :rolleyes:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Not to mention zero lead Latinos or Asians, I believe... :rolleyes:

True. But Im just not the activist type when it comes to "race". However, I am a keen observer of its continuing presence in the US and in Hollywood.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Tbh...hollywood needs to ditch the "superhero" theme. It's getting stale and kinda mehish. Though, I'll still watch Batman and Iron man 3.The first two were watchable.However, we need moar sci-fi on tv :cool: