Gorath - Toho does Epic SciFi

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Gorath is a Japanese film released in 1962 by Toho Pictures and directed by the great Ishiro Honda. It is epic in pretty much every way and when it was released was the most expensive Japanese movie ever made. Interestingly, Honda did other movies aside from Godzilla for Toho (The Mysterians, Atragon) and the non-Godzilla ones tended towards space films.

Simply put, Gorath takes us into the future (as usual) and posits a planetoid which is so dense that it has immense gravitational pull heading for Earth. The movie involves the discovery of Gorath, the attempts to deflect it and finally - wait for it - MOVING THE EARTH to avoid the collision.

So is it good? Sure thing!

Pacing is excellent as is typical of Honda. Acting is good with several Honda regulars (watch Destroy all Monsters then watch Gorath and you'll see the crossover). And the tone is properly set and maintained. It is a sort of foreboding but purposeful tone. Duty is a prominent theme in the film. And the model work is both ambitious and effective.

Does it have negatives? Not really. That said, you do have to put on your "suspension of disbelief" hat pretty firmly and not ask questions like:

a) Where are they getting enough rocket fuel for all those motors in Antarctica moving the Earth?

b) Why don't the motors rapidly consume all the oxygen in Earth's atmosphere?

But really it doesn't matter. It's a lot like Atragon (reviewed in another Gatefans post) where you enjoy what's happening and don't overthink how it happens.

Sadly it is hard to get a copy of this. But if you can it is worth it!

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Here is a small clip of Gorath goodness!

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Next time, just paste the page URL from Dailymotion into the post and the system will automatically detect and embed it like so....

I have not yet listed the new tricks the forum can do, but this is just one of them. Many many more sites which have video will embed automatically. If you see a video on the page, try it. ;)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Is there an English dub version (not subtitles)? I am trying to find it and am having trouble finding a dub version.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I know there is an English dub out there. The only issue it has is you don't get to see the Kaiju that attacks in it (a giant walrus). The torrents I saw so far look dreadful unfortunately.
[MERGETIME="1441694802"][/MERGETIME]
Next time, just paste the page URL from Dailymotion into the post and the system will automatically detect and embed it like so....

I have not yet listed the new tricks the forum can do, but this is just one of them. Many many more sites which have video will embed automatically. If you see a video on the page, try it. ;)

I did that. for some reason when I did that it did not add the MEDIA flag - I will add it manually.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I did that. for some reason when I did that it did not add the MEDIA flag - I will add it manually.

You no longer need embed codes. If you see a video on the page, Xenforo will find the video and tag it appropriately. You do not have to click the video to get the embed URL. :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
FYI I can't find this puppy anywhere online except for torrents. Pity.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
FYI I can't find this puppy anywhere online except for torrents. Pity.

I had this in my Kaigu Collection already, but it is in Japanese. I cannot find an English SRT or audio track for it. :(