Google Tracks Android

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Found out today that even with no sim card in your phone , or even when the phone is off , google can track you if you own an Android phone ...

https://www.mobileappdaily.com/2017...droid-phone-even-without-the-location-service

You do have to have a sim card. :) Without a sim card, there is no account attached to the device and as such it means that tracking the device is not going to be connected to any individual person. Why track the device unless you are tracking somebody's movements? You cannot attach the device to a person without a carrier account.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
You do have to have a sim card. :) Without a sim card, there is no account attached to the device and as such it means that tracking the device is not going to be connected to any individual person. Why track the device unless you are tracking somebody's movements? You cannot attach the device to a person without a carrier account.
Not according to the interview I just heard on CBC . With no sim card in the phone , google can locate it within 100 square feet with locations off and the phone off . I will try to find the podcast ... This will only occur with an Android phone .
;)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Not according to the interview I just heard on CBC . With no sim card in the phone , google can locate it within 100 square feet with locations off and the phone off . I will try to find the podcast ... This will only occur with an Android phone .
;)

I agree with the tracking and I do know about it. What I am saying is that without the SIM card, then no name is attached to the device and all you are tracking is a piece of hardware, whose movements do not tell you anything about the individual moving the hardware around. So, it can tell you that an Android with UMEI number XXXXXXXXXXX went from point A to point B and the data is meaningless if you want to track a person because nobody knows who has the phone unless there is a registered SIM card. Google is not interested in tracking hardware, it wants to track people. I suppose they could assume who owns it by seeing if it is tracked to a home or carried in a personal vehicle.

BTW, this (tracking) can be done in certain vehicles too, even when the vehicle is not running and is parked.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
I agree with the tracking and I do know about it. What I am saying is that without the SIM card, then no name is attached to the device and all you are tracking is a piece of hardware, whose movements do not tell you anything about the individual moving the hardware around. So, it can tell you that an Android with UMEI number XXXXXXXXXXX went from point A to point B and the data is meaningless if you want to track a person because nobody knows who has the phone unless there is a registered SIM card. Google is not interested in tracking hardware, it wants to track people. I suppose they could assume who owns it by seeing if it is tracked to a home or carried in a personal vehicle.

BTW, this (tracking) can be done in certain vehicles too, even when the vehicle is not running and is parked.
You are being tracked regardless of what google claims. Your searches are saved and so are the websites you click on when you use their services. Hell, they even say this in their TOS. Nothing on the internet is deleted. It is just soft deleted meaning that it away from the public eye. That so called 'control' is bullshit and it's just giving you the illusion that you have control. Just remember one thing, don't be an asshole or a malicious/evil fuck on the internet. Google will use their powers to hunt anyone being a parasite.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
See where this leads to when you are logged off from google. Is it on or off?
https://www.google.com/history/privacyadvisor/search

Signed-out Search activity
Determines whether searches on google.com from this browser are used to help Google offer more relevant results and recommendations

I turned that off years ago. I check my settings every week, sometimes every day. I also clear Alexa of my voice commands, delete my Firefox history and sometimes turn off my phone altogether if I am not going to be using it. I even *gasp* intentionally leave my phone at home when I go out sometimes. See, I actually remember life without cellphones or internet. :) Two generations have been born which do not know what life is like without internet, cellphones, microwave ovens, or Facebook. I find that interesting and sad.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Nothing inherently bad about the internet. To me, it gives us true liberty to do what we want but as soon as you had grown ups and the average person entering in, and most definitely MONEY, it ruined the whole place. Then you had the weirdos and creeps entering in and making the internet a messed up place. It's now such a serious place and now even if you say something bad over the internet, it can be used against you.

THIS is where you can squint and see the truth of it all. The internet infrastructure is a network. It is the framework which can be connected to and disconnected to at will. It allows us to transfer all sorts of information to each other (and to machines). The part of it which makes it dangerous is the constructs like Facebook, Google, and others. Internet Providers themselves sit on that network and control it for the other lesser lords which pay for that control. If you wired a small town together with routers and switches, and shared information in the EXACT same way, only the whole town owned the internet and there was no "provider" because everyone was providing, that would still be an internet. THAT was the model of the internet envisioned. I am sharing something very important here, in terms of perception. :)

Twalet Brash

GateFans Member

You don't need a sim card, just a Google account.

Twalet Brash

GateFans Member
;)

They can't locate anything with your phone off. What they did say is that Google continues to track your movements with the GPS off. It uses the built-in motion sensors to estimate your movements from your last known position. However, if you use Android without an account there's nothing to track as no identity is attached.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
You don't need a sim card, just a Google account.

Correction is in order, you are correct. I understand that Facebook is also using location services in the same way.

Twalet Brash

GateFans Member
Correction is in order, you are correct. I understand that Facebook is also using location services in the same way.

They do but they were also a little more invasive. Facebook, for example, was collecting your carrier SMS messages until they were caught whereas Google's collection is limited to SMS sent through Google Voice, which they tell you from the onset quite blatantly.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Apple all the way. Android is big brother. Apple is the rebel pushing back against the man.

Seriously? I wish I could sit you down and tell you what is really going on with Apple over a beer!

• Apple is Big Brother, not Android.
  • Collected metrics from Android go to Google/Alphabet to drive marketing and advertising.
  • Collected metrics from Apple and Microsoft are sold to the government and third parties (even Google!)
  • Apple users do NOT control their devices. Android users DO control their devices.
  • Apple and Microsoft have closed source systems because they are literally hiding things in their operating systems.
  • Android is Open Source. Nothing hiding in there, even if the phone unit itself might have extended capabilities hidden from the OS.
Apple IS the Man. :) They exist to make money for investors, and nothing more. To do that, they are willing to brick or slow your phone, sell your facial and fingerprint biometrics to governments, and foist inferior hardware on buyers at premium prices.

Hugh Jass

GateFans Cadet
Seriously? I wish I could sit you down and tell you what is really going on with Apple over a beer!

• Apple is Big Brother, not Android.
  • Collected metrics from Android go to Google/Alphabet to drive marketing and advertising.
  • Collected metrics from Apple and Microsoft are sold to the government and third parties (even Google!)
  • Apple users do NOT control their devices. Android users DO control their devices.
  • Apple and Microsoft have closed source systems because they are literally hiding things in their operating systems.
  • Android is Open Source. Nothing hiding in there, even if the phone unit itself might have extended capabilities hidden from the OS.
Apple IS the Man. :) They exist to make money for investors, and nothing more. To do that, they are willing to brick or slow your phone, sell your facial and fingerprint biometrics to governments, and foist inferior hardware on buyers at premium prices.

Fake news! Apple is closed source because they have some pretty groovy trade secrets in their stuff! Android is all open because they have nothing cool to hide.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Fake news! Apple is closed source because they have some pretty groovy trade secrets in their stuff! Android is all open because they have nothing cool to hide.

Android is superior to iOS though. :) It can do a lot more, can do true multitasking, and can support more types of apps. The old lines about Android being buggy have not been true now for many years. Mid and high end Androids are buttery smooth and fuss-free.

Hugh Jass

GateFans Cadet
Android is superior to iOS though. :) It can do a lot more, can do true multitasking, and can support more types of apps. The old lines about Android being buggy have not been true now for many years. Mid and high end Androids are buttery smooth and fuss-free.

Apple is easy to use and every Apple phone is exactly the same. When I buy a new phone I don't have to worry if this version of my phone has this gesture or that home screen. And can you answer an incoming Verizon call on your tablet or your pc? I think not! Apple also has IMessage that will quietly fall to SMS if data fails also everyone on Apple has imessage. On android everyone has a different messanger so you have to install like 40 messaging apps to make sure you can talk to everyone. :D