Google reportedly partners with Audi for on-board Android. Apple battling for Smart Car market too.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57...edly-partners-with-audi-for-on-board-android/

pandoraincar.jpg

Google is reportedly hitting the road for its next battle with Apple for mobile OS market share.

The Web giant has teamed with automaker Audi to develop in-car entertainment and information systems based on the Android operating system, according to the Wall Street Journal. The aim of the partnership, which is expected to be announced next week at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, would allow for in-car integration of music and navigation apps currently available on smartphones, sources told the Journal.

The partnership is expected to generate a challenger to Apple's iOS in the Car, which aims to integrate users' iPhones with their car's onboard receiver or "infotainment" system. Unveiled in June at Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference, the feature is expected to provide an interface that lets users control things like music, messages, and maps right through the vehicle.

Interesting. :rolleye0014: So, how much are they going to charge buyers of new cars with Android or iOS built into the vehicle? I would bet HUNDREDS more than what it actually is worth. What is the difference between running Android on a car display screen and on a smartphone? NONE. You can change the shape and look of the screen, integrating it into interior auto design and such, you can even duplicate the display on multiple displays pretty easily. Both Apple and Google are doing this.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304591604579288670734733740

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2013/12/30/google-apple-to-battle-over-smart-cars-at-ces/

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Please, if there is a god, let there be no more Microsoft OS in cars and PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE bar Apple and any other closed-shitbox OS maker from being in control of the vital systems on a 2 ton vehicle made of steel with virtually unstoppable inertia.

Imagine how I felt when i discovered my old BMW's iDrive was, in fact, Windows CE. :moody:

I'm ok with Android. I'm NOT ok with Windows or iOS being in charge of my car's vital systems.

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
Google already bought up some robotics companies, one of the biggest being Boston Dynamics. They really are taking over the world. Waiting for Google and Disney to join forces and DP us to 1984/Skynet. Boston Dynamics vid that you probably have seen around the interweb:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Google already bought up some robotics companies, one of the biggest being Boston Dynamics. They really are taking over the world. Waiting for Google and Disney to join forces and DP us to 1984/Skynet. Boston Dynamics vid that you probably have seen around the interweb:

I been sayin it! I have been saying for a couple of years now....

Google = Skynet

googleisskynet.jpg

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

The ironic thing is that with mobile computing to that degree, many people will never have to commute to work. :)

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
What do you mean mobile computing? People work at home through the internet? I don't know, some things can't be communicated well through the internet though. And you have lots of people that simply cannot pay attention. But I get what you mean, if we have similar notions of what mobile computing is.

I'd rather they develop some sort of automated driving. Sure there's public transportation but those are kinda crowded and feels cramped with all those people inside. I think they should have automated driving at intersections and long stretches of roads where people can relax, take their pants off, and mast...do work stuff without worrying about driving. Plus, an automated system would render accidents obsolete, well due to driver error. Error would be put on the automated system and the persons handling that.

And it'd cut down on traffic in many ways. I'll just illustrate one way. When you stop at a red light, there are a bunch of cars in front and behind. When the light turns green, not everyone moves at once. The first cars at the front go, then the next row, and then the next. It's not all at once. That kind of delay could be rectified with an automated system that moves all the cars at once rather than doing that row by row wave. (I forget what this specific phenomena is called, but if you wanna know more about just traffic waves, look up density waves and PDE's; density waves aren't just about traffic, it's everywhere from fluid dynamics to the spirals of galaxies.)

Plus, from what I said earlier, research into such an automated system could have massive subsequent developments that extend beyond the scope of just traffic. Would improve society and have many subsequent implications in many aspects, more than just solving traffic issues. One funny thing a professor told me was that there are drivers that go to highways and purposely tap the brakes to make a density wave generating traffic to see how that wave plays out over time. The assholes, lol, nah for a good cause.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
What do you mean mobile computing? People work at home through the internet? I don't know, some things can't be communicated well through the internet though. And you have lots of people that simply cannot pay attention. But I get what you mean, if we have similar notions of what mobile computing is.

I cant speak for other professions, but 90% of what I do can be done remotely provided I have internet access to the relevant hardware (which is basically everything). Physical presence is needed to replace hardware, upgrade hardware and other hardware related issues. A downed computer in an office building means I can troubleshoot a computer that is not connected by accessing the network and seeing what the issue is. Many services I offer can be contracted out like wiring/cabling (I dont do wiring), and delivering hardware like computers and laptops and so forth...can be drop shipped after ordering online.

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
I don't know why my post submitted that when I was still typing stuff to the previous post. Anyways, wanted to add some thing:

There was this project I was working on, google earth freaking can pinpoint the local topography of whatever coordinates you give it. That's freaking insane. Not only that, there's a program online done by a university that basically uses forecasted wind patters and shows where a weather balloon will land after you just input the initial launch coordinates. Freaking insane. If google, amazon, and disney ever combine, flying spaghetti monster help us.

B

Backstep

I'd rather they develop some sort of automated driving. Sure there's public transportation but those are kinda crowded and feels cramped with all those people inside. I think they should have automated driving at intersections and long stretches of roads where people can relax, take their pants off, and mast...do work stuff without worrying about driving. Plus, an automated system would render accidents obsolete, well due to driver error. Error would be put on the automated system and the persons handling that.

And it'd cut down on traffic in many ways. I'll just illustrate one way. When you stop at a red light, there are a bunch of cars in front and behind. When the light turns green, not everyone moves at once. The first cars at the front go, then the next row, and then the next. It's not all at once. That kind of delay could be rectified with an automated system that moves all the cars at once rather than doing that row by row wave. (I forget what this specific phenomena is called, but if you wanna know more about just traffic waves, look up density waves and PDE's; density waves aren't just about traffic, it's everywhere from fluid dynamics to the spirals of galaxies.)

Plus, from what I said earlier, research into such an automated system could have massive subsequent developments that extend beyond the scope of just traffic. Would improve society and have many subsequent implications in many aspects, more than just solving traffic issues. One funny thing a professor told me was that there are drivers that go to highways and purposely tap the brakes to make a density wave generating traffic to see how that wave plays out over time. The assholes, lol, nah for a good cause.

Would the automated system have a manual override? If yes, then what about the 'road warrior' types?

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
Would the automated system have a manual override? If yes, then what about the 'road warrior' types?
Yeah but for special occasions. Obviously, Murphy's Law applies. Road Warrior types can go do that crap on professional racetracks. Obviously, this kind of automated system will never be implemented because there are too many other changes that would need to be made ranging from highways, car designs, legislation. Just an idea and I think it'd be better implemented or tested at a small scale to see if it works or not. Video on density waves in traffic:

A more simple thing that could be implemented without too much fancy stuff though I think is this (I don't know road terminology, will try to describe what I mean as best as I can):

If you drive on highways during somewhat heavy traffic, one thing you'll notice in particular jams are more predominant on lane exits and lane entrances. Everyone that wants to exit all pack onto that one lane and you see red brake lights. This sorta sets off a slowing down effect on the other lanes. It's sorta like if there's a crash, everyone can't help but slow down cause of that disturbance and look. That permeates onto the other lanes when people are entering and exiting highways. And with the video above, you can see how that causes a wave of disturbance that causes traffic jams. So my idea is to have spindle web like exits all along the way instead of all being dumped onto one exit. Have multiple options for one exit to alleviate the density of cars in one particular lane. I have to draw a crude picture of what I mean (forgive the shitty drawing):

Untitled.png

Essentially you'd have one exit to the inner lane and one exit going over and to the outer lane. Obviously, black one is the main highway and other one is where you're exiting to. Yeah, I know not all exit roads have 3 lanes, but they at least have two usually. Can still do the one exit to the inner and the other to the outer, instead of one exit. My other idea is stacked highways, like a double-decker bus. The ground frame is already there, can just use the existing infrastructure or reinforce them if necessary.