Google Home Mini

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
They both do but keep an eye out for the Huawei P11. I'm not sure if the Huawei P10 is available in the US but, if it is, hold it in your hand. It feels identical to an iPhone 7 including the solid build. The P10 is one of the most premium feeling phones on the market and the P11 will be more than an incremental update; it'll be a step up from the Mate 10 Pro.

The P10 is here already, and is available on Amazon. It's specs are higher than the iPhone7. The premium Huawei phones are over $800.00 and I just don't need a phone like that at the moment! But these Huawei phones make other "premium" phones seem like a ripoff.

Twalet Brash

GateFans Member
The P10 is here already, and is available on Amazon. It's specs are higher than the iPhone7. The premium Huawei phones are over $800.00 and I just don't need a phone like that at the moment! But these Huawei phones make other "premium" phones seem like a ripoff.

If it's on Amazon it doesn't mean it's officially in the US. According to Huawei's site, there was no official US release. The P11, however, is rumored to be available unbranded and through AT&T early 2018.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
If it's on Amazon it doesn't mean it's officially in the US. According to Huawei's site, there was no official US release. The P11, however, is rumored to be available unbranded and through AT&T early 2018.

Amazon product
I can get it here in California. The P11 I did not see on there though...

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
It's due to be released in Feb 2018, I believe.

The international version P10 is available right now and I can order it on Amazon. That's the one I would be getting and not a US market one, if I get it. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Life with the Google Home Mini is truly great. I have a couple of smart plugs and smart bulbs now, and they can all be controlled by with the Echo or Alexa. I have a Phillips multicolored LED in my main room and only the Google Home can also control the colors, even though it acknowledges the commands. With Google Home Mini, I just say "Hey Google, make the living room light green", and it turns green or blue or whatever. Also, the Alexa randomly connects to my smartphone, and also randomly drops music streams. However with it's external speaker jack, it still makes a great Bluetooth stereo speaker.

Advantage: Google Home Mini

EDIT: The Alexa DOES control the colors, but only after restarting it and the bulb. It's easier to control the lights with the Google Mini though...you can say "turn off all the lights" and it will turn everything off or on.

EDIT AGAIN: The problem was my repeater. I have a repeater next to my front window so I can use my home internet when out in the courtyard with my computer or phone. My smart bulb was connected to the repeater signal, while the Google Mini and my other stuff is on my main wireless network. After reconfiguring the bulb, Alexa handles the bulb like Google does, but it still lacks the "turn everything off" feature.

Last edited: