Google’s new Go-playing AI learns fast, and even thrashed its former self

Discussion in 'Personal Technology' started by heisenberg, Oct 21, 2017.

1. heisenberg

heisenberg Earl Grey Staff Member

One more step towards Skynet :)

https://theconversation.com/googles...-fast-and-even-thrashed-its-former-self-85979

• Like Like x 1
  2. Overmind One

Overmind One GateFans Gatemaster Staff Member

I can still find the threads here where I was screaming how Google is Skynet, and how they are watching my every move...but what are they doing with that data? They are using it to target ads. Not much else. The rest of what they are doing is charging people (particularly small businesses) to give them the kind of high end, enterprise-level features that multi-million-dollar businesses have for only $5.00/mo. Suffice it to say, I finally "get" what they are doing and I am fully in.

Google AI is benign. They are a good guy. Not so much for Microsoft and Apple.

3. heisenberg

I was thinking about more AI. If AI becomes self aware, you don't think that it will try to wipe us out from what it sees? Remember it is a computer, and computers are able to do stuff much better than what we can.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Overmind One

It won't become self-aware. As much as we dream about machine sentience and as much scifi has been dedicated to that concept, we really do not know enough about sentience to quantify or define it. But we can give machines a damned good imitation of it.

5. Lord Ba'al

Lord Ba'al GateFans Member

And we are already so efficient at wiping ourselves out.

6. heisenberg

If we don't create safeguards and laws, I am pretty sure we might see something like I Robot :). Remember, even Asimov saw that robots needs laws.

https://www.auburn.edu/~vestmon/robotics.html

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Overmind One

BTW, for those who do not know what Go is, it's an ancient Chinese game played with "stones" on a grid. It's one of the oldest board games in existence.