Google’s new Go-playing AI learns fast, and even thrashed its former self

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Just last year Google DeepMind’s AlphaGo took the world of Artificial Intelligence (AI) by storm, showing that a computer program could beat the world’s best human Go players.

But in a demonstration of the feverish rate of progress in modern AI, details of a new milestone reached by an improved version called AlphaGo Zero were published this week in Nature.

Using less computing power and only three days of training time, AlphaGo Zero beat the original AlphaGo in a 100-game match by 100 to 0. It wasn’t even worth humans showing up.

One more step towards Skynet :)

https://theconversation.com/googles...-fast-and-even-thrashed-its-former-self-85979

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

I can still find the threads here where I was screaming how Google is Skynet, and how they are watching my every move...but what are they doing with that data? They are using it to target ads. Not much else. The rest of what they are doing is charging people (particularly small businesses) to give them the kind of high end, enterprise-level features that multi-million-dollar businesses have for only $5.00/mo. Suffice it to say, I finally "get" what they are doing and I am fully in.

Google AI is benign. They are a good guy. Not so much for Microsoft and Apple.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
I can still find the threads here where I was screaming how Google is Skynet, and how they are watching my every move...but what are they doing with that data? They are using it to target ads. Not much else. The rest of what they are doing is charging people (particularly small businesses) to give them the kind of high end, enterprise-level features that multi-million-dollar businesses have for only $5.00/mo. Suffice it to say, I finally "get" what they are doing and I am fully in.

Google AI is benign. They are a good guy. Not so much for Microsoft and Apple.
I was thinking about more AI. If AI becomes self aware, you don't think that it will try to wipe us out from what it sees? Remember it is a computer, and computers are able to do stuff much better than what we can.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I was thinking about more AI. If AI becomes self aware, you don't think that it will try to wipe us out from what it sees? Remember it is a computer, and computers are able to do stuff much better than what we can.

It won't become self-aware. As much as we dream about machine sentience and as much scifi has been dedicated to that concept, we really do not know enough about sentience to quantify or define it. But we can give machines a damned good imitation of it.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan

And we are already so efficient at wiping ourselves out.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
It won't become self-aware. As much as we dream about machine sentience and as much scifi has been dedicated to that concept, we really do not know enough about sentience to quantify or define it. But we can give machines a damned good imitation of it.

If we don't create safeguards and laws, I am pretty sure we might see something like I Robot :). Remember, even Asimov saw that robots needs laws.

https://www.auburn.edu/~vestmon/robotics.html

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
BTW, for those who do not know what Go is, it's an ancient Chinese game played with "stones" on a grid. It's one of the oldest board games in existence.