"Good Doggy, Good Doggy!" The Dog Lovers thread

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Yep. Lassie was a Rough Collie which are distant relatives of Border Collies, which trace their lineage to a dog named Old Hemp which was a cross between two different types of sheepdogs up in Northumberland (hence the name Border Collie as Northumberland is on the Scottish-English border).

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yep. Lassie was a Rough Collie which are distant relatives of Border Collies, which trace their lineage to a dog named Old Hemp which was a cross between two different types of sheepdogs up in Northumberland (hence the name Border Collie as Northumberland is on the Scottish-English border).

Their eyes are always bright and they look at you like they are listening to every word (cause they probably are). :) But you can sense the intelligence. Much different then looking into the eyes of say...a cow. Over the years I have met some amazing dogs. Mostly mutts, and some rescues. Seemingly, they develop a human-centric intelligence by just surviving in cities where they have to compete with other strays, and homeless people.

This mutt named Jumpy obviously has a lot of Border Collie in him, this training session is amazing:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
LOL. As if they call the shots on the internet? Same video.

ABC hates their videos embedded in stuff. :), and they may go after this uploader.

"find darwin" awesome!

the guy studying the Bonobos should have known (and I am sure he does) that Bonobos-even young ones-spend a massive amount of their time either looking for sex or having sex and the young ones spend their time in mimicking the adults. they are poor choices for this study. not saying that a chimp would do better, but at least he wouldn't have been trying to hump the dude's hair instead of picking the right cup.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Ok,so you'll just have to get past that its a kid's show (from Wale's TV) that shows here on babyfirst--with a grandkid in the house, I have been intro'd to a whole new generation of kids shows!

ANYHOW! This ep is a great one--it shows the sheep dog in action. One wonders if they can be this effective with a group of large animals, just what else could you teach one to do?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Ok,so you'll just have to get past that its a kid's show (from Wale's TV) that shows here on babyfirst--with a grandkid in the house, I have been intro'd to a whole new generation of kids shows!

ANYHOW! This ep is a great one--it shows the sheep dog in action. One wonders if they can be this effective with a group of large animals, just what else could you teach one to do?

Loved the vid! I know that thing about the kid shows. :) My nephew would usually drive my remote control when he was with me. Kid movies too.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Loved the vid! I know that thing about the kid shows. :) My nephew would usually drive my remote control when he was with me. Kid movies too.

do you know if the sheepdogs in that vid are the same or different from other sheepdogs? Seems like all of the ones in it are black with some white, is a "welsh sheepdog" a separate breed?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Welsh Sheepdogs are a distant relative to Border Collies in that both are classed in the Collie type, which as a whole is indigenous to the Island of Great Britain. Of course Welsh Sheepdogs come from Southwestern England and Wales while Border Collies are Northern England the lowland Scotland.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
do you know if the sheepdogs in that vid are the same or different from other sheepdogs? Seems like all of the ones in it are black with some white, is a "welsh sheepdog" a separate breed?

I would not have known the answer to that question. I'm glad Joelist did!

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Welsh Sheepdogs are a distant relative to Border Collies in that both are classed in the Collie type, which as a whole is indigenous to the Island of Great Britain. Of course Welsh Sheepdogs come from Southwestern England and Wales while Border Collies are Northern England the lowland Scotland.

uh..yeah..of course :daniel_new_anime021::pride:

Quetesh

Well Known GateFan
Sadly, I was told that my Ex's big dog who I had got for him many years ago, died on Saturday. She was a wonderful Big lovable Bernese Mountain Dog. She will be missed.My daughter and Ex are heart broken. My heart is heavy.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I think it would be great if we could genetically increase the lifespan of dogs. A decade, give or take some change, is far too short of a lifespan when you're man's best friend.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I think it would be great if we could genetically increase the lifespan of dogs. A decade, give or take some change, is far too short of a lifespan when you're man's best friend.

That is where cats have an advantage. They live longer than dogs.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
any one seen this? been around for a long time

foxes as pets; a domestication experiment held in russia in the 50's showed that over a few generations, the offspring became more and more open to domestication. the yalso noted physical changes like shorter snouts for one

know anyone who has one?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I wonder, what would be the benefit of domesticating foxes? :daniel_new004:

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Anybody remember Lassie? :) She was a collie (long haired breed of the same family as border collies). The show actually featured several Lassies over the years. This particular episode is an example of typical apple pie TV. They are supposed to be a midwest farm family with an impossibly brilliant dog named Lassie, and even more impossibly coiffed and dressed actresses who are supposed to be living on farms. Just LOL! A snapshot of an earlier, more naive society in America.

But, the dog did so many awesome things on that show. :)

Sadly, she was a he, as female rough coat collies don't have that splendidly feathery coat. :(

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Oh that's right! :beckett_new049:

I don't mind beagles. But if you ever get one be prepared to have it run off a lot. They have a built-in tendency to roam. Although some like to go off on regular routes that circle back home. It's a weird hunting thing that they do. They also "bay" loudly when they've got the scent -- which can be annoying at 3 a.m. on a summer night when they run past your open bedroom window. Don't ask me how I know.
ALWAYS make sure to keep your Sopwith Camel under lock and key, and they'll do a lot less roaming through the French countryside.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Hi Lit!!!

Welcome back! I hadn't seen you around in a bit, I hope all is good.

Back to puppies, mine turned 13 this year. Female Border Collie and definitely a very affectionate dog.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Hi Lit!!!

Welcome back! I hadn't seen you around in a bit, I hope all is good.

Back to puppies, mine turned 13 this year. Female Border Collie and definitely a very affectionate dog.
I've come by to read posts, but didn't get into the conversations so much. Currently writing my fingers to the bone, so hopefully, I'll have something new out in the relatively near future.

Our two dogs just turned 7 and 4 years old. Sweet little girls who will lick you within an inch of your life...once they get to know you.