Shin Godzilla has a trailer!

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member

Coming in July of this year.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Is it a direct sequel to the last one (with Bryan Cranston)?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Nope, This is a different film completely. Made in Japan by Toho as opposed to made here by Legendary Films for the Cranston film.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Coming in July of this year.

It looks like a traditional Godzilla film updated to modern standards. I like what I saw in that clip! Their Godzilla does not look nearly as mean as the new American one, but he looks more like all the previous Godzillas than the new one does. Looks like he is a man in a suit type Godzilla there, but I could be wrong! CGI does not look too heavy on this. Also it looks 100% Asian in casting, but I could be wrong there too.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
another Godzilla? ok I just don't get it - the "remakes" have all sucked (IMHO) why do yet another remake or reboot?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I'm still ambivalent about Godzilla looking like an overcooked barbequed lizard but who knows, maybe it will work out.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
There's a new trailer up.

It looks okay overall. The military engagement scenes look well done. Still trying to warm to "charzilla".

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
There's a new trailer up.

It looks okay overall. The military engagement scenes look well done. Still trying to warm to "charzilla".

Hmmm. Looks very VERY traditional kaiju. The cast looks 100% Japanese, mostly all male, and they have drastically changed Godzilla's look. He has glowing red "accent lighting"? Also, it looks like they have a man in a Godzilla costume for this one. No CGI Godzilla, even if there is CGI for the rest. This might fly well in Asian markets, but in the US...I dunno.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
I'm pretty sure I saw a zipper just below the neck.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
This is a case where tradition does not mean better. I watched again and it feels like seeing a muppet playing a Star Trek character.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Nope, This is a different film completely. Made in Japan by Toho as opposed to made here by Legendary Films for the Cranston film.

So....you are okay with this one? Even if it's by the actual Toho? For the first time in like...forever, I'm not okay with a real Toho film. The new Godzilla was a distinct step forward, and this one steps back just as much IMO.

Bluce Ree

More leaked images. Apparently, this is Godzilla's teenage son featured in the movie. I tip my hat to the special effects team for the realism of this monster.

RU880858lg.jpg

Bluce Ree

Here's another scene from the movie where Godzilla was apparently sold some property by this equally giant Japanese real estate agent. The scene is a flashback, made apparent by the fact that it's black and white and that his son is very young.

This scene is supposed to be key because it sets up Godzilla's rampage. He's apparently very cross with the agent for not disclosing that his property was built over an old landfill.

2680938158_10aff63c6b_o.jpg

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Here's another scene from the movie where Godzilla was apparently sold some property by this equally giant Japanese real estate agent. The scene is a flashback, made apparent by the fact that it's black and white and that his son is very young.

This scene is supposed to be key because it sets up Godzilla's rampage. He's apparently very cross with the agent for not disclosing that his property was built over an old landfill.

2680938158_10aff63c6b_o.jpg

:icon_rotflmao::shep_lol::smiley-laughing024::happy0007::SmileyLaughingTears:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
We have two threads on this film. In the first one I had noted that to me they should have just used the Legendary Goji design instead of this one, which looks a bit like burnt Teriyaki lizard.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
We have two threads on this film. In the first one I had noted that to me they should have just used the Legendary Goji design instead of this one, which looks a bit like burnt Teriyaki lizard.

:shep_lol::crying-028::icon_rotflmao::smiley-laughing024::smiley-laughing024::smiley-laughing024:

Load up those howitzers with these:

kikkoman-teriyaki1.jpg

And it's all said and done, that would be the biggest teriyaki barbeque of the age!

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Well it's out now. Reviews seem to be very positive but the plot synopsis sounds strange to me; almost like it is a Godzilla version of "The Blob".

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Well it's out now. Reviews seem to be very positive but the plot synopsis sounds strange to me; almost like it is a Godzilla version of "The Blob".

What is that hump on his chest?

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
SMH -- why do they still make these movies?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Because a lot of people are fans of the Kaiju movie genre - and Godzilla is THE Kaiju.