Gluten intolerance? Probably not.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
http://www.webmd.com/diet/20120220/gluten-sensitivity-fact-or-fad

Celiac disease, and those ACTUALLY allergic to gluten is a miniscule number of people. Yet, every day I see people making extra steps to be gluten free. Unless there is an epidemic of celiac disease, I don't see how the number of gluten intolerant individuals increases. But, there could be another reason...fad.

There is lots of stuff on gluten intolerance online. I'm not buying all the claims for it though. :) I'll just leave this here:

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
My brother in law has Celiac, (proper, medically diagnosed Celiac), and from what I understand, it's genetic, so I am a bit wary of people saying it's just a fad. I am sure some people are just jumping on the hip bandwagon, but I am not so quick to judge them.

Does gluten actually do anything good for you?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
My brother in law has Celiac, (proper, medically diagnosed Celiac), and from what I understand, it's genetic, so I am a bit wary of people saying it's just a fad. I am sure some people are just jumping on the hip bandwagon, but I am not so quick to judge them.

Does gluten actually do anything good for you?

Clinically diagnosed Celiac disease is a reason to eat gluten free, In America, there are way way too many people claiming gluten intolerance because it is a social buzzphrase among hipsters. Gluten is part of most food grains (actual grains, not pseudo-grains). As such, it has no nutritional value and is just a component of the grain. On the other hand, REMOVING it changes the nutritional value of wheat, which is already low in nutritional value on many levels.

I made the thread because I was watching as a customer at Smart & Final was whining about there being so few gluten-free products. The store associate had the best answer I have heard to that: "Yes, but that is because there so few people with actual Celiac disease". HOW TRUE! If you want to go gluten free, there is Whole Foods and Amazon. Making wheat gluten free is like making sugar-free fruit juice (there is no such thing).

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
The sheer amount of stuff out there that actually uses flour is staggering, whenever he comes over I am always checking with him beforehand about what he can and cannot eat so I can make him stuff that won't put him in bed for a few days.

This was fascinating to learn, Did you know that when people make ice cream, they use flour as a lubricant when filling the tubs and such so they don't loose any product?
So, next time you see a hipster being "gluten free man" and eating an ice cream...................

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The sheer amount of stuff out there that actually uses flour is staggering, whenever he comes over I am always checking with him beforehand about what he can and cannot eat so I can make him stuff that won't put him in bed for a few days.

This was fascinating to learn, Did you know that when people make ice cream, they use flour as a lubricant when filling the tubs and such so they don't loose any product?
So, next time you see a hipster being "gluten free man" and eating an ice cream...................

I see it all the time, hence the thread. :), Anybody want to take on a conversation with a gluten intolerant vegan athiest? :smiley-laughing021:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

Just curious, what amount of gluten affects this guy? I mean, I'm actually seeing stuff like beer and wine being advertised as "gluten free!" nowadays, but that shit can't possibly have any appreciable amount of gluten to begin with. And I would assume any wheat flour used as a lubricant would leave, at best, minuscule trace amounts. In fact I doubt it's even listed on labels which it would be if it was enough to affect the product.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying your friend is making it up about being gluten intolerant, and I'm sure he has a reaction when he consumes a certain amount of the stuff, but do minuscule amounts really affect him? Was he able to eat ice cream without a problem before you edified him on the fact that flour is used as lube during processing?

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Just curious, what amount of gluten affects this guy? I mean, I'm actually seeing stuff like beer and wine being advertised as "gluten free!" nowadays, but that shit can't possibly have any appreciable amount of gluten to begin with. And I would assume any wheat flour used as a lubricant would leave, at best, minuscule trace amounts. In fact I doubt it's even listed on labels which it would be if it was enough to affect the product.
It isn't listed on the labels dude.
As for how little it takes, very little I'm afraid. I don't know if that's because his case is advanced because he lived with it undiagnosed for 35 years and a lot of damage was already done, or because he is just hypersensitive to it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying your friend is making it up about being gluten intolerant, and I'm sure he has a reaction when he consumes a certain amount of the stuff, but do minuscule amounts really affect him? Was he able to eat ice cream without a problem before you edified him on the fact that flour is used as lube during processing?
The edification was the other way around dude, and only discovered by him -after- he got laid up from it. This is a guy who is a country farmer now, so he's not in bad general health, or overweight or any other thing you might consider could be a contributing factor and he's also not a wanker about it either. When he comes for visits, I think -I- probably worry about it more than he does :P

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
It isn't listed on the labels dude.
As for how little it takes, very little I'm afraid. I don't know if that's because his case is advanced because he lived with it undiagnosed for 35 years and a lot of damage was already done, or because he is just hypersensitive to it.

The edification was the other way around dude, and only discovered by him -after- he got laid up from it. This is a guy who is a country farmer now, so he's not in bad general health, or overweight or any other thing you might consider could be a contributing factor and he's also not a wanker about it either. When he comes for visits, I think -I- probably worry about it more than he does :P

Good thing for your dinner parties that kangaroos are gluten-free. ;)