Gauntlet Review: A Tale of Two Episodes

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
GAUNTLET: A TALE OF TWO EPISODES

Well, SGU is now officially history. Whatever we may think of it (good or bad), it did provoke people to express themselves. And so we launch into my take on the series finale, with a title unashamedly cribbed from Dickens.

I am calling this review a Tale of Two Episodes because it really felt like they filmed two different episodes then tossed both into a video mixing system and mashed them together to create the finale that we saw last night. In keeping with this, I will look at each one in turn. To put them in character I will assign them "writers" and "directors" in keeping with what the end product was like to me.

EPISODE I: DRONE WARS!

Written By: Jerry Pournelle and JJ Abrams

Directed by Ridley Scott

This was a taut, action packed episode with Destiny in a death struggle against drones that just swarmed the ship like attacking army ants bringing down a big scorpion or other such animal. Even though Destiny got its licks in, the overall situation was basically unworkable. They even had a clever deception exercise by the crew, sacrificing one of the two shuttles to distract the drones so they could gate to a planet that had a mineral they needed. That part felt like we actually had competent military personnel at work - for the first time in the series.
If only the whole show had been like this. Had it been, it is likely that we would not be bidding SGU farewell right now. And if only there was one "episode" in this episode, but alas we have the other pea in this pod:

EPISODE II: ONE LIVE TO LIVE - DESITNY EDITION

Written By: Barbara Cartland and Susan Lucci

Directed by Ed Wood

This was an unbearably maudlin and syrupy melodrama centered around all of the characters who fans found unlikeable for two years showing us once again why they found them unlikeable. It was also replete with forced tension (like the pod that suddenly doesn't work, forcing the all too often seen "one must stay behind" dilemma). Even better, we get Rush showing why he should be simply ejected out an airlock - after Young went out of his way to try to bond with him Rush responds by trying to manipulate him into sacrificing himself. Also we get Chloe the sudden math genius with her boytoy Scott having a short romantic minute, and in a real hoot Young effectively gives his (ex)wife to Telford.....right.

This brings us to the rope used to tie these two totally incompatible episodes together, namely Eli. Eli has a totally bizarre meeting with Mom and then gets to volunteer to be the one "left behind" at the end. We're supposed to buy that Eli is now a better expert on the Ancients and better technology engineer than Rush. By that logic why not have Chloe and her alien enhanced brain stay out ? After all she is so good she checks Eli's work to make sure it is right. Hey, she may finish turning alien and might not actually need life support anyway. It's illogical stuff like this combined with the constant overwrought personal melodrama that dragged SGU into the abyss. So I guess it's only fitting the finale showed it off.

So in conclusion. Two episodes in one. One showed what SGU could and should have been and the other demonstrated why this was the series finale only two pre-committed seasons in.

Terran77

Captain Tightpants
Interesting take on the two halves slammed together. Eli really is the cheese between those two crackers. It's like the writers just couldn't let go of their original concept for high melodrama.

Green 4 u! :)

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan

Well, SGU is now officially history. Whatever we may think of it (good or bad), it did provoke people to express themselves. And so we launch into my take on the series finale, with a title unashamedly cribbed from Dickens.
I am calling this review a Tale of Two Episodes because it really felt like they filmed two different episodes then tossed both into a video mixing system and mashed them together to create the finale that we saw last night. In keeping with this, I will look at each one in turn. To put them in character I will assign them "writers" and "directors" in keeping with what the end product was like to me.

Directed by Ridley Scott

This was a taut, action packed episode with Destiny in a death struggle against drones that just swarmed the ship like attacking army ants bringing down a big scorpion or other such animal. Even though Destiny got its licks in, the overall situation was basically unworkable. They even had a clever deception exercise by the crew, sacrificing one of the two shuttles to distract the drones do they could gate to a planet that had a mineral they needed. That part felt like we actually had competent military personnel at work - for the first time in the series.
If only the whole show had been like this. Had it been, it is likely that we would not be bidding SGU farewell right now. And if only there was one "episode" in this episode, but alas we have the other pea in this pod:

Directed by Ed Wood

This was an unbearably maudlin and syrupy melodrama centered around all of the characters who fans found unlikeable for two years showing us once again why they found them unlikeable. It was also replete with forced tension (like the pod that suddenly doesn't work, forcing the all too often seen "one must stay behind" dilemma). Even better, we get Rush showing why he should be simply ejected out an airlock - after Young went out of his way to try to bond with him Rush responds by trying to manipulate him into sacrificing himself. Also we get Chloe the sudden math genius with her boytoy Scott having a short romantic minute, and in a real hoot Young effectively gives his (ex)wife to Telford.....right.

This brings us to the rope used to tie these two totally incompatible episodes together, namely Eli. Eli has a totally bizarre meeting with Mom and then gets to volunteer to be the one "left behind" at the end. We're supposed to buy that Eli is now a better expert on the Ancients and better technology engineer than Rush. By that logic why not have Chloe and her alien enhanced brain stay out ? After all she is so good she checks Eli's work to make sure it is right. Hey, she may finish turning alien and might not actually need life support anyway. It's illogical stuff like this combined with the constant overwrought personal melodrama that dragged SGU into the abyss. So I guess it's only fitting the finale showed it off.

So in conclusion. Two episodes in one. One showed what SGU could and should have been and the other demonstrated why this was the series finale only two pre-committed seasons in.

My eternal, internal dichotomy with sgu, What could have been, and what is.

G

Graybrew1

Very, very good review.

I am so glad I posted mine first. Would not have wanted to be after this one. Interesting way to look at it. I never thought of it that way. Good point about Chloe being left behind instead. We totally agree on the whole , Eli is all , aspect. Nice little dig with the writers for the One Life to Live. This was also cancelled recently BTW, along with AMC( which is where Susan Lucci is from).

Good inside jokes.

I did not mention it in mine , but I thought it was ludicrous that Young would make that comment to Rush after they just bloody well tried to kill each other a couple of times a couple of month ago.
Not. LOL

Green for You.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Uh oh, people here know who Ed Wood is....

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
No really it was an interesting way of reviewing the episode. Very different from what we usually see.
Also lol on that Battlefield Earth review.

Apologies - I misstated. I meant I know my review has an element of sarcasm in it, which was inspired in part by places like Stomp Tokyo.

Mr. A

Super Moderator +

Directed by Ridley Scott

This was a taut, action packed episode with Destiny in a death struggle against drones that just swarmed the ship like attacking army ants bringing down a big scorpion or other such animal. Even though Destiny got its licks in, the overall situation was basically unworkable. They even had a clever deception exercise by the crew, sacrificing one of the two shuttles to distract the drones so they could gate to a planet that had a mineral they needed. That part felt like we actually had competent military personnel at work - for the first time in the series.

Directed by Ed Wood

:rotflmao:

Great review! Concise, witty and straight to the point. You are a very good writer and make some excellent points. I especially like the way you draw a parallel between this episode and the series as a whole.
Mod green for you!

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Yes, "Gauntlet" was definitely two distinct episodes in one. Good review.

Leo(T.C.K.)

GateFans Noob
I think Chloe would be out of the idea for staying because they found out about the glitch after they have frozen her, so meh. And unfreezing her would seem rude and not fair.

And how do you know Rush did that on purpose so Young would stay? It was only speculated, not confirmed, maybe he didn't do it on purpose after all.

G

Graybrew1

I think Chloe would be out of the idea for staying because they found out about the glitch after they have frozen her, so meh. And unfreezing her would seem rude and not fair.

And how do you know Rush did that on purpose so Young would stay? It was only speculated, not confirmed, maybe he didn't do it on purpose after all.

You could always wake Chloe up from the stasis pod.

Rush, pretty much admitted it to Eli, when confronted by Eli, by just saying... I never wanted anyone to die.

S

Stonelesscutter

Rush does everything on purpose.

Leo(T.C.K.)

GateFans Noob
Rush does everything on purpose.

I wouldn't agree with that. I beleive in most of cases it is because the characters say so or speculate, but you cannot be sure. It is something the writers wanted to pull you into I would say. Kind of a mind trick. I never fell for that myself though.
This is pretty open for interpretation, but I don't think he wanted Young to be there forcefuly, he volunteered after all, it was Young and Eli who doubted it and Rush only said that it doesn't matter, to put off the speculations. I think you fell for that part a little and I saw many doing that in other episodes as well.

S

Stonelesscutter

I wouldn't agree with that. I beleive in most of cases it is because the characters say so or speculate, but you cannot be sure. It is something the writers wanted to pull you into I would say. Kind of a mind trick. I never fell for that myself though.
This is pretty open for interpretation, but I don't think he wanted Young to be there forcefuly, he volunteered after all, it was Young and Eli who doubted it and Rush only said that it doesn't matter, to put off the speculations. I think you fell for that part a little and I saw many doing that in other episodes as well.

I wouldn't say I fell for it. The way I see it Rush was intended by the writers to be seen that way. So we agree on that I guess. Over the course of the series there have been plenty of instances where an attentive viewer could see there was something going on in Rush's head without anything being said. As far as I'm concerned that's because those parts were well written and because Robert Carlyle acted well.
Rush is well aware that Young and Eli don't trust him and he knows how to be a player. It's not a stretch to believe that Rush intentionally volunteered to stay behind knowing that Young wouldn't allow that.

Leo(T.C.K.)

GateFans Noob
Yeah but that doesn't mean it has to be true. They wanted the audience to suspect Rush all the time. I did not however. And in my opinion it shouldn't be said in the reviews that Rush intended this or that, when it was only hinted at by the characters and not really confirmed. I think a little outside that spectre, the way they wanted the audience to feel about him, just doesn't work with me that way, if you get what I mean.

S

Stonelesscutter

Yeah but that doesn't mean it has to be true. They wanted the audience to suspect Rush all the time. I did not however. And in my opinion it shouldn't be said in the reviews that Rush intended this or that, when it was only hinted at by the characters and not really confirmed. I think a little outside that spectre, the way they wanted the audience to feel about him, just doesn't work with me that way, if you get what I mean.

Okay.
But I think the reviewer disagrees with you on that. ;)