FOUND IT! This sub forum was buried in the forums. The Clone Wars rewatch.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
So WHO did you post it for??
Yong won't hit up TPB either and he is the only new entrant into this discussion where TCW 6 became mentioned.
So, who did you post it for? or were you merely saying where YOU would get it from?
If so, go nuts.

Ahh, then this is for you:
View attachment 29722

It stands alone...sorta like you do on this topic. :) Im still amused that you believe that the group of fans who know the whole extended universe of Star Wars is a huge number of people...it just isnt. YOU do, but the books are marginally purchased in the US. The extent of knowledge about Star Wars for the AVERAGE fan of the thing is restricted to the movies, the animated series that have come before TCW, and perhaps an action figure or two. Its similar to Trekkies...the AVERAGE Trek fan can tell you a lot, but not every nuance and relationship in the thing. There has been fan fiction which has put Uhura and Spock (also Kirk and Uhura) in romantic situations, but seeing it in ST 2009 just seemed shockingly outside of Trek because few knew about the books.

In Star Wars, you can put whatever you want in it and fans will lap it up because it's Star Wars. You can put the Michelin Man in the show and call him a Rubberanian from the planet Bounce and fans will accept it. You can have magic, dragons, ghosts...the EU doesnt really matter (to most SW fans: meaning the majority of the fans of Star Wars worldwide). Sure, many do know but not most....not even close.

And again, back to the Mandalorians...the EU may call them just "warriors", but in the Clone Wars what they SHOW US is the Aryan planet populated entirely by blondes and gingers with either blue or green eyes. Fans who DO know the EU point out that both Jango Fett and Boba Fett are Mandalorian warriors, but not Mandalorian by birth. Both were from the agricultural planet of Concord Dawn which is in Mandalore space, and Jango was ADOPTED. You find me EU canon that disputes this...if you can. I got it from the same sources you are going to use.

And those Dathomir witches...we only SEE them in TCW. When people see Darth Maul or his horned race, they do not know that they are created by the Dathomir witches unless they have been watching The Clone Wars or reading EU books. What we SEE are witches and cauldrons and crystal balls.

I dont know who dreams up the idea that things can be thrown into movies from the EU without explaining them in the movies or animated series.
--- merged: Apr 2, 2014 at 9:49 AM ---
So WHO did you post it for??
Yong won't hit up TPB either and he is the only new entrant into this discussion where TCW 6 became mentioned.
So, who did you post it for? or were you merely saying where YOU would get it from?
If so, go nuts.

Ahh, then this is for you:
View attachment 29722

Does it come in tan? :P

Last edited by a moderator:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I don't know that you can just put anything into Star Wars. After all the prequels were rejected by the vast majority of the fandom and a major reason was that they played VERY fast and loose with what was laid out in the Original Films, to the point that Lucas subsequently retconned the originals to varying degrees (some in Stars, a bit in Empire and heavily in Return of the Jedi) to try to get the prequels to "fit". For example, in Phantom Menace Qui Gonn Gin (since he acted like a drunk) gave the midichlorian explanation of the Force that flatly contradicted both Obi Wan in Star Wars and Yoda in Empire Strikes Back.

Star Trek has tighter canonical standards but I would not say Star Wars has none.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
its a big galaxy, plenty of room for all types of races as we have been shown. whose to say that there wouldn't be those alien races who can manage to blend voodoo and science or religion and witchery?

The extended universe is a very big one that is obviously paid attn to by many since lucas/disney has assigned a team to "weed through" it and decide what belongs in canon and what does not. Lucas himself is said to be very accepting of the EU and has even given his "approval" to many projects even when it was not sought for

"mandalorian" is not a specific race but a lifestyle embraced by several races that choose to model themselves on the warrior ethos of the ancient Taung species. The humans seen wearing mandolorian armor are or can be humans from any planet.

"The Mandalorians—known in Mando'a as the Mando'ade, or "Children of Mandalore"—were a nomadic group of clan-based people consisting of members from multiple species and multiple genders, all bound by a common culture.

In their early years, Mandalorian culture revolved around battle, with war being a source of honor and pride in their community. The leader of the Mandalorians was known as the Mand'alor, translating to "Sole Ruler" and was rendered as "Mandalore" in Basic. Throughout their history, the Mandalorians were frequently allied with the Sith, perhaps most notably the Sith Lord Exar Kun, and held a certain distrust and general dislike for the Jedi Order. However, they would not hesitate to cooperate with the Jedi if a partnership between the two groups was mutually beneficial. In later years, the Mandalorians moved away from their obsessively war-like and conqueror ways and instead, most became bounty hunters and mercenaries, selling their skills to various individuals and factions in the galaxy. However, the Mandalorian Protectors sided with the Alliance to Restore the Republic ever since about 3 ABY and even continued to serve the Alliance of Free Planets, the New Republic, and finally the Galactic Alliance"

from http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Mandalorian
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for ethnicity in Star Wars-hey we do not see much variety anywhere in any SW product do we? Blame George for that.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I dont care where anyone watches it at. But OM,didn't you already say you subscribe to netflix? I don't see why someone would try pirates and all of the virus and malware threats they bring (especially for "tech commoners" like us. I am sure you have no problem dealing with any issue though

Netflix is easy peasy--why go to some para legal site and risk PC doom and gloom to watch something? Not worth it to me

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Viruses cant touch me. :) I can handle anything thrown at me.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
He (OM) is quite right in saying that you can add a lot to the SW universe and it be accepted by fans of the EU canon, but it still has to make *sense* within that EU canon. (which is what he is missing) The advantage of course is, in SW you really are talking a galaxy spanning universe, and not just a single one as it is in ST, there is far, far more room and time to play with.

I don't see how you can say Qui-gonn was "like a drunk" though....

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
It stands alone...sorta like you do on this topic. :)
Guess not :lol:
Im still amused that you believe that the group of fans who know the whole extended universe of Star Wars is a huge number of people...it just isnt. YOU do, but the books are marginally purchased in the US. The extent of knowledge about Star Wars for the AVERAGE fan of the thing is restricted to the movies, the animated series that have come before TCW, and perhaps an action figure or two. Its similar to Trekkies...the AVERAGE Trek fan can tell you a lot, but not every nuance and relationship in the thing. There has been fan fiction which has put Uhura and Spock (also Kirk and Uhura) in romantic situations, but seeing it in ST 2009 just seemed shockingly outside of Trek because few knew about the books.
Dude, you DO know the definition of "fan" and it's derivation, yes?
The "Average person" will like whatever you feed them, which is why the 2 new trek movies did so well, they don't mind seeing the canon being airlocked, they are the general viewing audience. THEY will probably know nothing about ST:TOS, let alone the books and such, and I don't expect them to. The *FANS* however, well, they are a different story. Seeing Cumberbatch as Khan made my skin crawl, and I *like* the actor, but he is no Ricardo Montalban.
In Star Wars, you can put whatever you want in it and fans will lap it up because it's Star Wars. You can put the Michelin Man in the show and call him a Rubberanian from the planet Bounce and fans will accept it. You can have magic, dragons, ghosts...the EU doesnt really matter (to most SW fans: meaning the majority of the fans of Star Wars worldwide). Sure, many do know but not most....not even close.
No, the FANS will not, the general viewing audience *will*

And again, back to the Mandalorians...the EU may call them just "warriors"
Nope, whole separate species, as Yong pointed out.
, but in the Clone Wars what they SHOW US is the Aryan planet populated entirely by blondes and gingers with either blue or green eyes.
Come on man, you have bemoaned when they add politics to TCW, you think that was not a conscious decision either?

Fans who DO know the EU point out that both Jango Fett and Boba Fett are Mandalorian warriors, but not Mandalorian by birth. Both were from the agricultural planet of Concord Dawn which is in Mandalore space, and Jango was ADOPTED. You find me EU canon that disputes this...if you can. I got it from the same sources you are going to use.
Why would I dispute it? By the Rise of the empire era, Mandalorian is a philosophy or code that species of all kinds adhere to, not just a race, exactly like the Sith, or the Jedi.

And those Dathomir witches...we only SEE them in TCW. When people see Darth Maul or his horned race, they do not know that they are created by the Dathomir witches unless they have been watching The Clone Wars or reading EU books. What we SEE are witches and cauldrons and crystal balls.
Maul is not "created" by the Nightsisters, he is a Zabrak. They do train Zabraks however.
I dont know who dreams up the idea that things can be thrown into movies from the EU without explaining them in the movies or animated series.
Creative people do, they Expand the SW universe.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
He (OM) is quite right in saying that you can add a lot to the SW universe and it be accepted by fans of the EU canon, but it still has to make *sense* within that EU canon. (which is what he is missing) The advantage of course is, in SW you really are talking a galaxy spanning universe, and not just a single one as it is in ST, there is far, far more room and time to play with.

I now like Star Wars better than Star Trek (starting in 2009). I just watched Star Trek 2009 and I hate it because of the second movie Into Darkness made me retroactively dislike it. But that's another thread :). Star Wars just seems like a better vehicle for the imagination than where they are taking Star Trek. It takes limits away from traveling from point A to point B by just not going into it. They just start at planet A, you get the cool hyperspace effect, then seconds later the next scene is at the destination and the story smoothly continues. I like that. Also, the robots and aliens other creatures speaking English works very well because the Star Wars galaxy is already fully explored and most races have been exposed to each other. Technology in that universe has been around so long it is just everyday stuff. I like that too.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member

Pretty easily. Qui Gonn acted like a blithering idiot in Phantom Menace - drunk was a play on his name because he acted like he was either a moron or not sober. And the rejection of the prequels by most of the fandom shows that they won't accept just anything. Indeed a fair amount of the EU is basically trying to reshape the prequels into something less revolting.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Uh yeah, that is basically what I said :icon_lol: "You are 'de-man'"

but didn't you say you have a netflix acct as well?

Yes, I do. But I have been giving it a break for the past two months because I just dont watch it much anymore. But it is still active.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Pretty easily. Qui Gonn acted like a blithering idiot in Phantom Menace
How was he a blithering idiot?
- drunk was a play on his name because he acted like he was either a moron or not sober.
I got the Gin aspect :P

And the rejection of the prequels by most of the fandom shows that they won't accept just anything. Indeed a fair amount of the EU is basically trying to reshape the prequels into something less revolting.
They will accept stuff that makes sense. What are you counting as EU here Joe?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

You have me getting very interested in looking at the EU. Where should one start if they have already seen all the movies and TCW?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Do you want to go forwards, or backwards?

Dunno. What do you recommend? I like starting from the beginning. Is there anything covering the way back history of the Jedi and Sith? The Sith once ruled the SW galaxy, right?

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Nope, the Sith are another race entirely. In "basic terms" the Jedi Order suffered a schism, where some thought they should rule the Galaxy because of their force powers, and the other Jedi who thought that they should use their powers to help the rest of the galaxy and never rule. The people who wanted to rule were basically kicked out of the "known universe" and they arrived where the Sith lived. Over generations the original people died out and the Sith inherited their ways and philosophy. The Sith Empire then grew into "the golden age of the Sith" where the rest of the SW galaxy forgot them. Eventually, explorers from the SW core universe came across them and the Sith turned their eye on their "old home", which leads to the "great hyperspace wars" The sith are eventually defeated, but their knowledge comes into the core SW universe. After this defeat, the Sith institute "the Rule of 2" Even still you get fallen Jedi, who are not "sith". During this time (the old republic era) the Jedi are not really "liked" all that much because the rest of the galaxy see so much suffering and warfare over what amounts to a religious war.

There is a lot more, but that's the basics :P
Probably the most *popular* phase of the EU is the Old Republic Era, after the Hyperspace wars, but before the golden age of the Old Republic, most of which is fuelled by the 2 KOTOR games and to a lesser extent SW:TOR.

If you want to go forwards, I would start with Tim Zahn's books and then the books that spawn from that storyline. If you are a spaceship junkie like me, there are the Rogue squadron books.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Nope, the Sith are another race entirely. In "basic terms" the Jedi Order suffered a schism, where some thought they should rule the Galaxy because of their force powers, and the other Jedi who thought that they should use their powers to help the rest of the galaxy and never rule. The people who wanted to rule were basically kicked out of the "known universe" and they arrived where the Sith lived. Over generations the original people died out and the Sith inherited their ways and philosophy. The Sith Empire then grew into "the golden age of the Sith" where the rest of the SW galaxy forgot them. Eventually, explorers from the SW core universe came across them and the Sith turned their eye on their "old home", which leads to the "great hyperspace wars" The sith are eventually defeated, but their knowledge comes into the core SW universe. After this defeat, the Sith institute "the Rule of 2" Even still you get fallen Jedi, who are not "sith". During this time (the old republic era) the Jedi are not really "liked" all that much because the rest of the galaxy see so much suffering and warfare over what amounts to a religious war.

I would like to start with wherever you got all of this ^^^.

There is a lot more, but that's the basics :P
Probably the most *popular* phase of the EU is the Old Republic Era, after the Hyperspace wars, but before the golden age of the Old Republic, most of which is fuelled by the 2 KOTOR games and to a lesser extent SW:TOR.

If you want to go forwards, I would start with Tim Zahn's books and then the books that spawn from that storyline. If you are a spaceship junkie like me, there are the Rogue squadron books.

I think I want to start from before...from as far back as there is canon for Star Wars (in their timeline, not in order of release). Is there a specific book where I should start?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member

EU is the comics, books, the TCW animated show and so forth. And a fairly large quantity of all of them wind up patching the backstory to try to make the prequels make more sense.

As to Qui Gonn's idiocy, I could go on for a while. But just a couple of examples:

- Qui Gonn says they have to warn the Naboo of the Trade Federation invasion. So how does he say they should do it? By storing away in ships OF THE INVADING FORCE. Kinda late to warn them then.

- He also says they need to stay together after landing but has them hide on separate ships.

- Saying they need to be incognito on their trip into Mos Eisley for a spaceship part but then taking with him Jar Jar Binks. Meanwhile he leaves the experienced military officer and a Jedi Knight well versed in being discreet out in the desert.

- The whole "bet" nonsense around the race.

- Taking the Gunga sub right to the center of the occupied Naboo city in broad daylight, and then he stands up in the open cockpit and starts looking around like a tourist - REAL stealthy there :)

After about 20 minutes of the idiotic film I was questioning every decision he made. Then again pretty much everything every character did was nonsensical (the script was that bad).

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
EU is the comics, books, the TCW animated show and so forth.
TCW is not EU, it is core canon.
And a fairly large quantity of all of them wind up patching the backstory to try to make the prequels make more sense.
The prequels make sense, they are just crap, their IS a difference.

As to Qui Gonn's idiocy, I could go on for a while. But just a couple of examples:

- Qui Gonn says they have to warn the Naboo of the Trade Federation invasion. So how does he say they should do it? By storing away in ships OF THE INVADING FORCE. Kinda late to warn them then.
They were sent their to be DIPLOMATS, by the time they arrived, diplomacy was not an option, nor was direct comms, so he took the direct approach by wanting to see Amidala directly. He "stowed away" because there was no other option to warn the Naboo.
Yep, that's just silly.............

- He also says they need to stay together after landing but has them hide on separate ships.
Of course, he knew Obi-wan could hide alone on a ship and defend himself, so could he. Both of them on one?

- Saying they need to be incognito on their trip into Mos Eisley for a spaceship part but then taking with him Jar Jar Binks.
Jar Jar is a distraction, no more. I don't think Qui Gon would give a shit if Jar Jar died. Did Jar Jar ever say "oh hey, we are with Jedi and a Princess??"
NO.

Meanwhile he leaves the experienced military officer and a Jedi Knight well versed in being discreet out in the desert.
Yes, he keeps the military guy out, so he can look like a commoner, how shocking!! As for Obi-wan, why are you assuming he is "well versed" in the desert? Because his older version is?? :lol: :lol:

- The whole "bet" nonsense around the race.
WTF???
He trusts in the living force, you might as well say that about anyone who prays to "god". Of course, unlike your generic twat who "prays to god", Qui-gon can actually directly effect fate, so it was not so much a "bet" as a calculated risk.

- Taking the Gunga sub right to the center of the occupied Naboo city in broad daylight, and then he stands up in the open cockpit and starts looking around like a tourist - REAL stealthy there :)
The city was not occupied at that point, sections of it were. In addition, Qui-gon has never *tried* to be stealthy, he just deals with what comes along. He does not plan ahead, sure, but he is not an idiot.

After about 20 minutes of the idiotic film I was questioning every decision he made. Then again pretty much everything every character did was nonsensical (the script was that bad).
I am beginning to question your understanding of it. YES, TPM was a crappy movie, but that does not mean it was all shit, or nonsensical. The concept was fine, the delivery was shit.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Sorry, but they don't make any sense. And I understood them fine and was FAR from the only person to come away from Phantom Menace thinking Qui Gonn Jinn was an idiot. The underlying issue of the prequels is extremely poor scripts. All the other problems stem from the bad scripts and illogical plots.

As to the examples (and remember there are lots more), they are all valid. The notion of warning the Naboo (his exact words) by stowing away in the invasion force is silly - it's too late to warn them. And saying they need to stick together but then have them go on separate ships is contradictory. And taking along Jar Jar Binks to Mos Espa whose behavior did nothing but attract attention is not the way to avoid attention. Taking along Obi Wan who as a Jedi was well versed in stealth (reread what I posted I did not say he was experienced in desert actions but that it was dumb to leave him in the desert) would make a lot more sense as would taking along the military advisor. As to the bet, the entire sequence of how the bet came about was plain stupid. It had nothing to do with his misuse of the Force to steal the part off of the dealer, and indeed it was his foolishness in "negotiating" that left Anakin's mother in servitude. Finally, yes just standing up in the Gunga sub and looking about like a tourist was foolhardy again - the whole idea of what they were doing was to enter the city in a clandestine manner.