For those sci fi geeks who are also space enthusiasts.

R

Robbie_Rocket_Pants

Aye we will need to do it eventually. At the moment if we increased the standards of living in all 3rd world countries to those of which countries in the western world enjoy we would need the resources of a 2nd Earth.

Will need to find alternatives to ever have equality for all nations and avoid getting to the point where we will have devastating wars over resources.

Another option of course is population control (but it is an option in "addition" to the others, not "instead" of).

Copenhagen

GateFans Noob
Oh yeah! Some geek chat! woot!

I've been keeping some tabs on the Private Space Industry. I'm hoping that they can actually get some stuff accomplished.

Like has been said, the first "Milestone" or "Revenue" that is going to come to pass. Will be selling trips to space "Low Orbit" to the people that will have the insane amount of money to afford it. I hope that will generate enough money for them to fund some other missions, Like Comerical Mining, for resources, and stuff. If we could get to that point, I feel that we would be further down the road to a brighter future.

Someone asked if the moon has oil? I don't know maybe, It, asteroids, planetoids, mars, etc, might have other resources that we can use besides such rudimentry fuel, energy sources. I would be willing to bet that there is Oil on Mars though. Especially if what they think is true. The mars used to be much like earth at one time.

Take a good look at mars. If we keep on rudimentry energy sources/fuels we are using though. It is likely that Earth will look just like Mars.

Also, I was watching some stuff on the Science Channel, or maybe it was NOVA. They are saying that it is actually may be possible to Terraform planets such as Mars, Venus, or even some moons. (Sort of like in FireFly).

However, this type of Planet Engineering is extremely expensive, certainly no government is going to single handly foot a bill like that. It would most likely take every nation working together with funding to foot such a bill. Given the way humans are getting along now, I don't forsee that happening.

But I'd sure like to see those huge rockets hauling "Useful" stuff into space, to better the future of Humanity as well.

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
Um, doesn't oil have organic origins? Doesn't that mean for the moon to have oil, it would have had to have organic matter sometime in its history?

Copenhagen

GateFans Noob
Technically speaking, yes.

However, they believe that the moon is actually a big chunck of the earth. I don't actually think that Organic origins had established themselves on Earth at the time of that impact. But, if they were there, there could be Organic microbes living inside of the moon, that Could have oil. Or the gizillion objects that have hit the moon, could have loged organic material into it at some point. It is clear to see that the universe is an extremely large bumper car ring.

There is always something exploding, or smacking into something.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
I have yet to meet a scifi fan who is NOT a space enthusiast! They seem to go together. :)