Flame Hell will be CLOSING at GateFans and moving to it's own website.

Discussion in 'Announcements & Introductions' started by Overmind One, Mar 4, 2017.

1. Overmind One

Overmind One GateFans Gatemaster Staff Member

Okay, the consensus seems to be that religion and politics and world affairs as general topics do not belong here at GateFans. Therefore, they are going to be moved to a brand new website dedicated to those things. And it will be named, appropriately, Flame Hell or www.flamehell.com

This domain has been purchased, and it will feature a mobile friendly Xenforo forum layout, with some new features which might also show up here at GateFans later on. This is what will happen here on this side of the beginning of the process:

• The Flame Hell forums will no longer appear on the main Forums Home page.
    • The New Posts page will no longer display any of the topics and threads being created or responded to in Flame Hell.
    • No new access to Flame Hell will be granted to new members joining here after this announcement.
    After a time, the forums and threads and comments from Flame Hell will be transferred to the new site and the usernames of the people who posted them will be stripped from the threads and comments and set to Guest. Users from here who decide to join FlameHell can claim their threads and comments under their new usernames if they wish.

Once the new site is live, no crosstalk will be allowed between the websites. You may freely post links to topics on the new site, but no content. No content from GateFans may be posted on FlameHell for discussion.

More to come....

It would be VERY helpful for users here at GateFans to flag the threads and posts they encounter which they think belong at FlameHell. I can then move them into Flame Hell and package them for transplanting to the new site.

Thank you for your participation!

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. yongjin02

yongjin02 Well Known GateFan

how should i flag them to help?

also anyway you can transfer my entire profile to this new site?

great idea! all this sci fi and entertainment stuff has been getting in the way of political and social/culture stuff!!! :)

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. yongjin02

what about non FH threads like "good doggy"and cat lovers"? "Grow your own/gardening,etc"?

4. Overmind One

Use the Report link at the bottom of the thread or comment.

• Like Like x 1
  5. yongjin02

K! :)

6. Overmind One

No, just the political, religion and some sexually themed threads. :)

7. yongjin02

i'll just comment "move to fh.com" in the thread then? not seeing the 'report' button

-----
    so can you move my profile to the new site? i would like to keep everything the same-- log in, password, etc

having another email address would come in handy as well ;)

8. Overmind One

Capture.PNG

9. Lord Ba'al

Lord Ba'al GateFans Member

report.png

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. yongjin02

yeah..someday I am going to write a memoir and title it "Duh!!!"

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Jim of WVa

Jim of WVa Well Known GateFan

Is the login information for our accounts the same in flamehell.com as it is here?

• Interesting Interesting x 1
  12. Overmind One

That is a good question....should they be? I have the option of stripping the users and starting fresh (but with the seed posts), or copying the database and deleting all that is unwanted.

13. Gate_Boarder

Gate_Boarder Well Known GateFan

No! No! Don't do that as I want to use the moniker "yongjin03" in my next life.

I guess we can reserve the right to use our old names in-case an interloper drops by and tries to kidnap one of our most favourite names.

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. Joelist

Joelist I'm showing this for a reason! Staff Member

I'll repeat the observation I made in the other thread - to me, members should use different member names on the two sites. What that does is prevent discussions over there from influencing people holding discussions here - as you won't know whether you are talking to the same person in both places.

Just a thought.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Gate_Boarder

Gate_Boarder Well Known GateFan

I agree with the above, as I would like to personally throttle some of the "contributors" at a different site.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Overmind One

I agree with you both, and this presents a technical problem which I can overcome, but not easily. :). Many of the threads and comments contain our actual usernames from here. Not just as an author, but in the body of the comments and replies. By default, that means that the users identified over here can be connected to those threads over there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Rac80

Rac80 The Belle of the Ball

I just want to stay Rac80... I use that as my twitter handle too! :D so can you easily arrange that?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Overmind One

Okay, I found a really great surgical importer at Xenforo. It allows me to import specific forum nodes instead of the whole database (no pruning!), AND, it only imports the users who have comments and threads in those nodes. I found another one which allows deleting users en masse (surgically). So, the tools are there.

Right now, many of these threads we post on were started by Members who are no longer here participating. We can do that over there too. :)

19. Lord Ba'al

Lord Ba'al GateFans Member

I wish to note that I have no intention of participating on the new site. So if at all possible, please leave my handle and registration out of there.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. Joelist

Joelist I'm showing this for a reason! Staff Member

Did your eyes briefly glow when you posted?

• Funny Funny x 2