Firefox 4 update

Tropicana

Council Member
Yesterday was the launch day for the new Mozilla's Firefox 4, and I'm only aware of it now - I so can't believe I was not told about it!

As covered by BBC News - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-12829113

I must say, it does look more efficient and less crowded with an increase viewing screen space. It looks nice however, I use the Forecast Fox Weather add-on and now I don't know how to reconfigure it to have it displayed, since the status bar on Firefox 4 is completely different.

EDIT: NM, figured it out. :)

ChromeToasterX

GateFans Noob
For anybody who updated to FF4 and doesn't like the Firefox button just hanging out there, get the Movable Firefox Button addon, which will shrink the Firefox button and allow you to move it wherever you want. I personally recommend it, as it made the visually unappealing tabs on top look far more tolerable for me and saves a lot of screen real estate.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
I've been on the release candidate for quite some time.It's WAYYYYYYYYYYYYY better than chrome/firefox 3.6/IE8. It's definitely less bloatware then it's predecessor. To my surprise IE9 isn't bad either,it's definitely snappier than IE8 but I still prefer firefox.

Tropicana

Council Member
I must say I do like the whole minimalistic look. In the past, everything was all sprawled out across the screen and it meant everything has to be piled on, on top of one another creating the whole bloated feel and look.

It's definitely a new generation interface. For now, I'm ok with the Firefox options tab hanging out at the top left. It looks quaint.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
I must say I do like the whole minimalistic look. In the past, everything was all sprawled out across the screen and it meant everything has to be piled on, on top of one another creating the whole bloated feel and look.

It's definitely a new generation interface. For now, I'm ok with the Firefox options tab hanging out at the top left. It looks quaint.

They've already made preliminary designed for firefox 5.0 and 6.0 btw ;)

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
I am new to Firefox but have been using the Beta version for the last few months . IE8 was giving me so much trouble with slow page loading to just hanging and both my computers had been hacked into while using IE8 . I have had no problems since using Firefox . Not sure I would want to try IE9 after all the issues with IE8 .

Red Mage

Boney
How is Firefox 4 compared to 3? I used to Firefox until version 3 came out which I hated because some websites I frequent would load so slow on it and it would take forever to start up for whatever reason. So I switched to Opera which I like quite alot. I just got IE9 which I'm playing around with now. Huge improvement over IE8 from what I can see so far.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I've been on the release candidate for quite some time.It's WAYYYYYYYYYYYYY better than chrome/firefox 3.6/IE8. It's definitely less bloatware then it's predecessor. To my surprise IE9 isn't bad either,it's definitely snappier than IE8 but I still prefer firefox.

I absolutely LOVE the new Firefox 4! I just installed it minutes ago and have been grinning ear to ear ever since. You seem to get MORE with LESS...ever elegant design. Well organized, even in its default state. I havent learned the tweaks yet, but I actually love the orange Firefox button. :)

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
Got a question, I have firefox but an older version and refuse to update cause of that flash moderation extra thing that comes along with the newer versions. It really eats up a lot of memory. And another if I just let firefox run, the memory keeps going up and up. I've done some tweaks that I found online where if I minimize it cuts down the memory usage by a lot and a few other tweaks. But is there anything permanent that decreases the insane memory usage? Does that get fixed with the newer version? Does the newer version still have that flash moderation thing? Kindly appreciated.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Got a question, I have firefox but an older version and refuse to update cause of that flash moderation extra thing that comes along with the newer versions. It really eats up a lot of memory. And another if I just let firefox run, the memory keeps going up and up. I've done some tweaks that I found online where if I minimize it cuts down the memory usage by a lot and a few other tweaks. But is there anything permanent that decreases the insane memory usage? Does that get fixed with the newer version? Does the newer version still have that flash moderation thing? Kindly appreciated.

FF unfortunately has had memory leaks forever. They get caught and fixed as the versions progress but they never seem to get rid of them all.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I gave up on Firefox awhile back because it kept deleting my info. I don't know why. And yes, I had the settings set properly. This happened with several versions so I just got tired of it and switched to Opera. Not too many issues yet although I do miss the Firefox video downloader. :(