Fine Dining RIPOFF tactics. I am so sick of this!

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I have had the opportunity to see good Executive Chefs at work and also bad ones.

For example a dish like meatloaf with mashed potatoes and gravy and green beans. It was done up to look very nice (in fact the meatloaf was presented as a sphere) and everything tasted good as the food was all properly prepared. In fact the blend in the meatloaf was different but good.

On the other hand I had a French chicken dish where the Chef was into fru fru - it looked pretty but tasted like garbage. Chicken was way over cooked and the veggies were basically mush.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
The little place we ate at in Long Beach (Lola's) is packed almost every weekend, and I still don't understand why. There is another restaurant across the street called The Social List which is owned by the same people. I think that because it is in "Retro Row" and there is a heavy gay patronage from South Alamitos' gay community, they can get away with $12.00 hamburgers and $10.00 shrimp cocktail. I don't eat on Retro Row at all. I cook like...98% of every meal I eat.

12 Bucks for a hamburger is pretty normal around here, even a bit of the cheap side actually. Here you generally pay around 12 pounds for a burger or more. I personally don't find it worth the money. Sure, the burgers are better than McDonalds' burgers usually, but I think I'd still rather get two double cheeseburgers for 3 pounds total.

Here's a dish I made myself tonight by the way, I call it Pasta Vindaloo Parmesan with Balls.

IMG_20190617_181912.jpg

It was "sweat on your forehead" grade spicy.

Basically I just cooked some pasta, heated up my left over Indian sauce in the microwave, put some herbs and spices on a pack of pre-made meatballs and cooked them in the oven and grated some parmesan. Super tasty, that it was.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
12 Bucks for a hamburger is pretty normal around here, even a bit of the cheap side actually. Here you generally pay around 12 pounds for a burger or more. I personally don't find it worth the money. Sure, the burgers are better than McDonalds' burgers usually, but I think I'd still rather get two double cheeseburgers for 3 pounds total.

Here's a dish I made myself tonight by the way, I call it Pasta Vindaloo Parmesan with Balls.

View attachment 35232

It was "sweat on your forehead" grade spicy.

Basically I just cooked some pasta, heated up my left over Indian sauce in the microwave, put some herbs and spices on a pack of pre-made meatballs and cooked them in the oven and grated some parmesan. Super tasty, that it was.

Looks delicious! Filling. Time to start contributing to the Recipes thread again...:)