Finally a truly first class Android browser - Maxthon!

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I finally have found a real first class web browser for Android - Maxthon.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mx.browser

What makes it first class? It's fast, pretty smooth and is loaded with features that other mobile browsers (across all platforms) lack. Examples include:

1) Night view - you can instantly make any website be light text on dark background. Very useful on planes at night and in cars and such.

2) Real text reflow that works off of pinch to zoom. This has been an ongoing problem also with mobile browsers - really if you have to scroll horizontally to read a page as well as vertically the experience is not ideal.

3) Ability to not only identify as desktop but can also identify as other browsers (Safari, Chrome. IE, Opera) so that if you run into a poorly coded site that was written for just one browser

all in all nice piece of kit.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member

What makes it first class? It's fast, pretty smooth and is loaded with features that other mobile browsers (across all platforms) lack. Examples include:

1) Night view - you can instantly make any website be light text on dark background. Very useful on planes at night and in cars and such.

That's a nice feature.

2) Real text reflow that works off of pinch to zoom. This has been an ongoing problem also with mobile browsers - really if you have to scroll horizontally to read a page as well as vertically the experience is not ideal.

If you're running JB, double-tap the page after you pinch-zoom. The text automatically adjusts. I've tested this in the stock browser, Chrome and Dolphin and also in the Gmail app.

3) Ability to not only identify as desktop but can also identify as other browsers (Safari, Chrome. IE, Opera) so that if you run into a poorly coded site that was written for just one browser

Dolphin has also had that ability since I first tried it some years ago.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

I will try this! Not every entity I use online has an app available, so the mobile browser on my phone and tablet have been leaving me frustrated at times.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
That's a nice feature.

If you're running JB, double-tap the page after you pinch-zoom. The text automatically adjusts. I've tested this in the stock browser, Chrome and Dolphin and also in the Gmail app.

Dolphin has also had that ability since I first tried it some years ago.

I'm on 4.2.2.

Reflow in Android only "sort of" works in the other browsers like Chrome - yes if you double tap it resizes but not necessarily to the size you want. In Maxthon I can zoom to whatever size I like and tapping automatically reflows to that size. I have been investigating settings to see if it can "remember" my reflow sizing (I loved that feature in the old IE in Windows Mobile).

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
I'm on 4.2.2.

Reflow in Android only "sort of" works in the other browsers like Chrome - yes if you double tap it resizes but not necessarily to the size you want. In Maxthon I can zoom to whatever size I like and tapping automatically reflows to that size. I have been investigating settings to see if it can "remember" my reflow sizing (I loved that feature in the old IE in Windows Mobile).

I'm not talking about double-tap resize. Pinch-zoom a page then double-tap. The text reflows to fit the width of the screen. This is an OS feature, not a browser feature. The rendering engine is part of Android.