Ender's Game
The Hobbit
Few Tom Clancy books
Almost all of Roald Dahl's books
Stardust & The Graveyard Book
2001 A Space Odyssey & 2010 Odyssey Two
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
A few of the Wheel of Time books

& probably a lot more that I just can't remember right now.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I've read so many books (and genres) over the years that I can't remember them all. I guess favorites would be reading multiple books by the same author. I went thru a Jame's Clavell phase when I was younger. He's a really great writer. One of his first books, King Rat, is a very simple read that can be finished in a lazy afternoon. His other books such as Noble House and Shogun require far more time and effort to get thru.

As for more sci-fi/supernatural stuff I've plowed thru Robert Asprin's "Myth" series. Good stuff indeed! And I know I've touted Jasper Fforde's "Thursday Next" series of books. Then there are the classics by Asimov and Bradbury, etc. Again, too much to mention.

Something weird I do is I read cookbooks -- yes, cookbooks! Not only do I have an interest in cooking but I find many cookbooks are actually history books chock full of anecdotes of time gone by. I'm reading Bert Greene's Kitchen right now and it's pretty funny. Yes there are recipes but they are couched in anecdotes about his life. It's amazing how many cookbooks are not instruction books but rather autobiographies. The recipes are secondary but that's okay. ;)

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
I've read so many books (and genres) over the years that I can't remember them all. I guess favorites would be reading multiple books by the same author. I went thru a Jame's Clavell phase when I was younger. He's a really great writer. One of his first books, King Rat, is a very simple read that can be finished in a lazy afternoon. His other books such as Noble House and Shogun require far more time and effort to get thru.

As for more sci-fi/supernatural stuff I've plowed thru Robert Asprin's "Myth" series. Good stuff indeed! And I know I've touted Jasper Fforde's "Thursday Next" series of books. Then there are the classics by Asimov and Bradbury, etc. Again, too much to mention.

Something weird I do is I read cookbooks -- yes, cookbooks! Not only do I have an interest in cooking but I find many cookbooks are actually history books chock full of anecdotes of time gone by. I'm reading Bert Greene's Kitchen right now and it's pretty funny. Yes there are recipes but they are couched in anecdotes about his life. It's amazing how many cookbooks are not instruction books but rather autobiographies. The recipes are secondary but that's okay. ;)

Well ape my dear, we know you're weird! :P Actually what you say about cookbooks are correct...although I have found many to be travelogues too. I love italian cookbooks and Mario Batali's books have great stories about the different regions of Italy.

I, too, love asimov and other more "classic" scifi. But I am currently reading a Star Trek storycalled "the eugenics wars- the rise and fall of Khan noonian singh"...it's a two-book series that is well done. It takes "the eugenics wars" and places them in the current time as an "underground" series of events. it's well done and very funny.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Well ape my dear, we know yolu're weird! :P Actually what you say about cookbooks are correct...although I have found many to be travelogues too. I love italian cookbooks and Mario Batali's books have great stories about the different regions of Italy.

I, too, love asimov and other more "classic" scifi. But I am currently reading a Star Trek storycalled "the eugenics wars- the rise and fall of Khan noonian singh"...it's a two-book series that is well done. It takes "the eugenics wars" and places them in the current time as an "underground" series of events. it's well done and very funny.

How does that work??
Khan was a "prince amongst men with millions of followers" in 1996 (according to WoK)??

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
How does that work??
Khan was a "prince amongst men with millions of followers" in 1996 (according to WoK)??

I wondered too how they would work it...just imagine Khan as a Bin Laden style figure behind all of the unrest in the 90's. They actually work it very well.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I wondered too how they would work it...just imagine Khan as a Bin Laden style figure behind all of the unrest in the 90's. They actually work it very well.
Fair enough, I suppose as long as it works and it's cool :P

Have you ever read any of the X-men/TNG crossover books :)

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Fair enough, I suppose as long as it works and it's cool :P

Have you ever read any of the X-men/TNG crossover books :)

Nope never been "into" X-Men or crossovers. are they any good?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Umm, there.......... interesting. reading about Worf and Logan is funny :P

There is actually a series of books that is a crossover of TNG and XMen???

AtlantisOrka

GateFans Noob
I don't read to much but my favs are:

SGA Series
24 series
Acting For Young Actors:The Ultimate Teen Guide. (Teen or not it's an awesome book i recommend for any actor.)

Any book that grabs my interests lol.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
There is actually a series of books that is a crossover of TNG and XMen???

There are at least 2 stand alone books, I don't know about a series.

EDIT:
After some quick research,apparently there was only 1 book, but there was a comic book crossover first.
Some Info from Wiki:

The 1998 Star Trek novel Planet X (ISBN 0671019163) by Michael Jan Friedman is a crossover between the X-Men comic book series and the characters of Star Trek: The Next Generation. It was a sequel to an earlier crossover, detailed in the Marvel Comics one-shot Second Contact (which was itself similar to an earlier Star Trek/X-Men crossover comic, where a slightly different team of X-Men encountered the characters of the original Star Trek series). The novel is noteworthy for hinting at an attraction between Jean-Luc Picard and Ororo Munroe (Storm), and made a forward-looking reference to the (then uncast) X-Men feature film by remarking on the uncanny resemblance between Picard and Xavier, as the two converse via the holodeck after a reasonable facsimile of Xavier is programmed into it; (both characters were played by Patrick Stewart in Star Trek: The Next Generation and the X-Men film series).

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
Um have any favourites outside of tv show/comic based books, gatefan? You know, real books.

I recently tried to watch that 90's cartoon X-Men, it is sooooo bad. I couldn't keep watching.

Is it just me or does Marvel seem to have some really bad stories? Sorry tangents.

Few more of my favourite books were:

The Voyages of Dr. Dolittle
Around the World in 80 Days
The Lost World by Doyle

anyone read them?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Um have any favourites outside of tv show/comic based books, gatefan? You know, real books.

I recently tried to watch that 90's cartoon X-Men, it is sooooo bad. I couldn't keep watching.

Is it just me or does Marvel seem to have some really bad stories? Sorry tangents.

The Lost World by Doyle

anyone read them?

What about H. Rider Haggard? He sort of created the "Lost world" genre. King Solomon's Mines, stuff like that. Definitely a creative guy that's for sure.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan

The Lost World by Doyle

anyone read them?

No I only read comix books ;)
:D

I already had a thread for books, remember dude :)

Shadowcat

GateFans Noob

Is it just me or does Marvel seem to have some really bad stories?

oooh, ouchies!!! (Shadowcat loves her Marvel). I'm not a fan of the 90's X-Men toon either though I loved, loved, loved 'X-Men: Evolution' and 'Wolverine and the X-Men'. I will hide under a bed to avoid the Wolverine Anime series airing sometime this month to keep from hearing that dude from Heroes voicing Logan.

But on to books: I love the Timothy Zahn Star Wars novels, Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels; especially 'Wyrd Sisters', 'Hogfather', and too many more to mention, Mary Stewart's 'The Moon-Spinners', Jane Austen's 'Northanger Abbey' and 'Persuasion'.

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
What about H. Rider Haggard? He sort of created the "Lost world" genre. King Solomon's Mines, stuff like that. Definitely a creative guy that's for sure.
Ahh, I had no idea. I'll have to look him up.

No I only read comix books ;)
:D

I already had a thread for books, remember dude :)
Not really. Ahh, you meant that who dominates your thingie one? You just listed too many authors, nothing to indicate favoritism I guess. Kinda like your movie collection one which included Twilight, grrrrrrrrr! lol

oooh, ouchies!!! (Shadowcat loves her Marvel). I'm not a fan of the 90's X-Men toon either though I loved, loved, loved 'X-Men: Evolution' and 'Wolverine and the X-Men'. I will hide under a bed to avoid the Wolverine Anime series airing sometime this month to keep from hearing that dude from Heroes voicing Logan.
Ahh, don't know them. Sorry, I might have jumped the gun and made an uneducated generalization. Never got into comics so my only references are the recent burst of movies and such and some of the cartoon tv shows. It just seems less deep in Marvel than the DC stuff. I don't know, eh. You're probably more informed about it than I.