FARSCAPE on PIVOT network

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Well, for those of you with DIRECTV, a new channel, PIVOT (A morph of the old DOCUMENTARY network and new and rerun programming) on DIRECTV ch 267, is showing FARSCAPE. (In case you want to get your reruns the "old fashioned way" versus NETFLIX or something else.)

Right now they are having a mini marathon beginning with the pilot ep and 3 or 4 more eps after.

I think that DISH, COMCAST and ZITO are carrying the network but not sure.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I mentioned this the other day in the chat box. PIVOT is on DISH network channel #197. It's weird the way they sandwich Farscape in between a bunch of non-scifi stuff. I still don't understand the channel yet. At any rate, there ya go. ;)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I mentioned this the other day in the chat box. PIVOT is on DISH network channel #197. It's weird the way they sandwich Farscape in between a bunch of non-scifi stuff. I still don't understand the channel yet. At any rate, there ya go. ;)

yes it is eclectic. but i like that. to me this means that it is a non big corporation channel. the scatter brained schedule shows, imo, that they actually have people thinking about quality of content and not just quantity

i hope they pick up some other oldies, and not so oldies, sci fi and others. I am waiting for some one to bring back reruns of the old British hit (that ran on UHF channels back in the day here) UFO. And then Ultra Man and SPACE 1999:encouragement:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Yes, I remember UFO and I'd love to see Space 1999 rerun. From what I recall we had a brief thread on Space 1999 and the remake they're doing. It was awhile back. Suffice to say I'm not holding my breath that it will be any good.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Yes, I remember UFO and I'd love to see Space 1999 rerun. From what I recall we had a brief thread on Space 1999 and the remake they're doing. It was awhile back. Suffice to say I'm not holding my breath that it will be any good.

The remake creator seems confused as to whether he should keep the rogue moon concept, which originally made no scientific sense, or go with some sort of giant space station gone rogue. I was not impressed with the latter idea.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
The remake creator seems confused as to whether he should keep the rogue moon concept, which originally made no scientific sense, or go with some sort of giant space station gone rogue. I was not impressed with the latter idea.

Yeah, the rogue moon premise is laughably bad if you think about it but the original show was from the early 70's and it could be overlooked back then. Now of course it would be a hard sell unless they're gonna market the new show to children.

Bluce Ree

Yeah, the rogue moon premise is laughably bad if you think about it but the original show was from the early 70's and it could be overlooked back then. Now of course it would be a hard sell unless they're gonna market the new show to children.

The rogue moon concept can work if they take a different approach rather than pretending some nuclear waste dump exploding would act like a light-speed thruster. :icon_lol:

They could have the moon base experimenting with wormholes, for example, and accidentally unleash one that sucks the moon out of its current space and spits it out somewhere uncharted. They can recreate the event to jump from region to region, trying to find either a way home or a habitable world. It would be the equivalent of drifting through space except with a less magical element. The moon, when it comes out of a wormhole, can still be adrift and in motion, presenting other obstacles to overcome (i.e. will they jump in time to avoid a collision). Something to that effect.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
The rogue moon concept can work if they take a different approach rather than pretending some nuclear waste dump exploding would act like a light-speed thruster. :icon_lol:

They could have the moon base experimenting with wormholes, for example, and accidentally unleash one that sucks the moon out of its current space and spits it out somewhere uncharted. They can recreate the event to jump from region to region, trying to find either a way home or a habitable world. It would be the equivalent of drifting through space except with a less magical element. The moon, when it comes out of a wormhole, can still be adrift and in motion, presenting other obstacles to overcome (i.e. will they jump in time to avoid a collision). Something to that effect.

Or, the rogue moon base idea where the base was funded by a corporation that is secretly owned by an ultra conservative political party. Then---:tealcanime23: :anim_17: :whip: :ronan_wraith: :tealc-gun02:

:smiley-laughing024:

Bluce Ree

Or, the rogue moon base idea where the base was funded by a corporation that is secretly owned by an ultra conservative political party. Then---:tealcanime23: :anim_17: :whip: :ronan_wraith: :tealc-gun02:

:smiley-laughing024:

... then I turn off the TV, shoot it with a 12 gauge and pitch it out the window onto the street below.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
... then I turn off the TV, shoot it with a 12 gauge and pitch it out the window onto the street below.

OMG. They cant do the rogue moon thing. Nope. :facepalm:. But they can easily do it with a space station, one that drifts off course in a very big way, say that a solar flare pushes it via cosmic wind into deep space and accelerates it? Something like that. But you cant just have a moon traveling through space encountering new worlds and solar systems without running into some very hard gravitational science problems.

If they do to Space 1999 like what they did to Total Rekall 2012, it will suck. That is, take the bare minimum premise and distort it into something entirely different than the original...but try and wink to the old series in a very stupid weak way. What's wrong with putting "Based on Space 1999" in the credits and doing a whole new show?

tumblr_meeo1hnV2E1ri2ul8o1_500.gif

Bluce Ree

OMG. They cant do the rogue moon thing. Nope. :facepalm:. But they can easily do it with a space station, one that drifts off course in a very big way, say that a solar flare pushes it via cosmic wind into deep space and accelerates it? Something like that. But you cant just have a moon traveling through space encountering new worlds and solar systems without running into some very hard gravitational science problems.

If they do to Space 1999 like what they did to Total Rekall 2012, it will suck. That is, take the bare minimum premise and distort it into something entirely different than the original...but try and wink to the old series in a very stupid weak way. What's wrong with putting "Based on Space 1999" in the credits and doing a whole new show?

View attachment 28454

A rogue space station would suck balls. It has to involve the rogue moon concept, just one that's more plausibly sci-fi (i.e. wormhole experiment gone wrong). Rogue space stations and ships have been done to death. I don't wanna see "Lost in Space" on a grander scale and anything even remotely claiming to be based on Space 1999 would need to involve a moon, otherwise it's just "Lost in Space" again.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
A rogue space station would suck balls. It has to involve the rogue moon concept, just one that's more plausibly sci-fi (i.e. wormhole experiment gone wrong). Rogue space stations and ships have been done to death. I don't wanna see "Lost in Space" on a grander scale and anything even remotely claiming to be based on Space 1999 would need to involve a moon, otherwise it's just "Lost in Space" again.

An asteroid then? A "rogue moon" is just not scientifically probable. Then again, they COULD easily get away with it with today's audiences. :) Why not even put landing gear on the moon and have it land on planets too? :anim_59:

When was a rogue space station done before? I would be interested in watching something centered around that. :)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I suppose it's pointless to argue about the technical physics of the new show's premise as we all know the focus will be on interpersonal melodrama. The moon ripped out of Earth's orbit? That pales in comparison to lunar scientists Zak and Tasha's troubled relationship in the hydroponics lab. And what about the ambitious, albeit evil and scheming physicist who is the cause of the disaster that lead to them being shot into space? Contrast this with his rock-music-listening nemesis, the bleach blonde cheerleader-cum-Einstein physicist with the copious sweater meat that manages to save the day with bouts of inspiration that only an 18yo could possibly come up with in every episode. And don't forget about the base's late middle-aged commander, who is in love with his second in command, his ex wife whom he has kids with back on Earth. Can they find peace and come together even though his much younger gf is also on the base? And what about the brash young pilot that is an A-hole on the surface but really has a heart of gold, a heart that has feelings for the commander's gf? Oh it's all so intriguing!
:daniel_new_anime021:

Bluce Ree

An asteroid then? A "rogue moon" is just not scientifically probable. Then again, they COULD easily get away with it with today's audiences. :) Why not even pit landing gear on the moon and have it land on planets too? :anim_59:

When was a rogue space station done before? I would be interested in watching something centered around that. :)

YES! A base on an asteroid would work but to be truly lost in space it would have to involve some form of phenomenon like wormholes in some semi-controllable manner. Even an asteroid pitched out of the solar system at light speed would take 4 years to reach our closest stellar neighbor and that would bore the hell out of anyone.

By the way, scientists are discovering that rogue planets are much more common than originally thought:

http://www.space.com/11699-rogue-alien-planets-milky-common.html

Anyhow, I figured a nice sci-fi premise would go something like this:

Moonbase Alpha - an internationally supported research facility dedicated to deep space exploration and development of technologies to achieve that goal. One of the technologies being researched is a means of creating wormholes based on a crashed alien vessel found on the dark side of the moon. During a trial run of the wormhole tech, the experiment goes out of control and opens a giant wormhole that envelops the moon and pulls it out of orbit and spits it out somewhere in an uncharted part of space, adrift.

This wormhole tech would be used throughout the series to achieve similar jumps, allowing the moon (or asteroid) to jump to different cosmic regions, encountering new alien worlds or cosmic phenomena, which is a far cry better than the moon constantly hitting mysterious space warps and flying at several times the speed of light. :icon_lol:

The rogue space station premise I've read in sci-fi books. On TV, the premise was more of a lost ark-type vessel. There was an old sci-fi series in the early 80s called "The Ark" or "Ark", can't recall the exact title. Hulu just debuted a sci-fi series called "Ark", also involving a drifting ark, which actually looks pretty good but I've yet to find a moment to start watching it.
--- merged: Aug 13, 2013 at 1:32 PM ---
I suppose it's pointless to argue about the technical physics of the new show's premise as we all know the focus will be on interpersonal melodrama. The moon ripped out of Earth's orbit? That pales in comparison to lunar scientists Zak and Tasha's troubled relationship in the hydroponics lab. And what about the ambitious, albeit evil and scheming physicist who is the cause of the disaster that lead to them being shot into space? Contrast this with his rock-music-listening nemesis, the bleach blonde cheerleader-cum-Einstein physicist with the copious sweater meat that manages to save the day with bouts of inspiration that only an 18yo could possibly come up with in every episode. And don't forget about the base's late middle-aged commander, who is in love with his second in command, his ex wife whom he has kids with back on Earth. Can they find peace and come together even though his much younger gf is also on the base? And what about the brash young pilot that is an A-hole on the surface but really has a heart of gold, a heart that has feelings for the commander's gf? Oh it's all so intriguing!
:daniel_new_anime021:

Go on. You've got my attention. :icon_lol:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
An asteroid then? A "rogue moon" is just not scientifically probable. Then again, they COULD easily get away with it with today's audiences. :) Why not even put landing gear on the moon and have it land on planets too? :anim_59:

Isn't our moon slowly moving away anyhow?

So set it way off in our future when it may be more plausible. That would then also open up the set to a whole new slew of imagination over what the far future may hold for our culture and tech.

Or just go with Shaveds rogue moon and sparkly love quadrangle affairs. Lesbian, inter-species love and driving on the moon's surface in 1950's Lincoln's....

Or just go with UFO-I think that could be re-done much easier-less of that pesky "techy stuff" messing with the script :beguiled:

Bluce Ree

Isn't our moon slowly moving away anyhow?

So set it way off in our future when it may be more plausible. That would then also open up the set to a whole new slew of imagination over what the far future may hold for our culture and tech.

No, that would suck. The moon moving at a snails pace would be the equivalent of that steam roller scene in Austin Powers.

Or just go with Shaveds rogue moon and sparkly love quadrangle affairs. Lesbian, inter-species love and driving on the moon's surface in 1950's Lincoln's....

Or just go with UFO-I think that could be re-done much easier-less of that pesky "techy stuff" messing with the script :beguiled:

:(

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
No, that would suck. The moon moving at a snails pace would be the equivalent of that steam roller scene in Austin Powers.

:(

See, the thing is that if you use anything other than the rogue moon and weird bus-like shuttles and crappy moon landscape, it is no longer Space 1999. When is an "update" really a re-imagining? I dont understand why they want to use the name unless it is to draw in fans of the original show. But if they do that, the original fans will be all WTF? This is Space 1999:

space1999-3.jpg
space1999-5.jpg

Remember that 1999 passed over a decade ago, so how can you "update" it, and how can you set it in 1999???

Screw using that name and premise, and call it Space 2199 using a completely different concept. If they must use a moon, then why not Titan or Europa?

Bluce Ree

The remake is called Space:2099. We have an entire thread dedicated to this subject.

http://io9.com/5883885/space-1999-remake-will-be-called-space-2099

Using Earth's moon is all part of the apocalyptic event. The uncertainty of Earth's fate was an ongoing plot point. Even if they did find a way home, would there still be a home if/when they ever got back?

The original show had a good story except for how the moon left Earth and traveled through space. :(

An updated remake wouldn't use the old props from the 70s. Now you're just nit picking, bro. It's kind of like those clowns who cried foul because the Star Trek movies didn't use the old Styrofoam bridge with the blinking lights. :icon_lol:

The entire run is available on Youtube. I still enjoy watching them every so often. :)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
The remake is called Space:2099. We have an entire thread dedicated to this subject.

http://io9.com/5883885/space-1999-remake-will-be-called-space-2099

Using Earth's moon is all part of the apocalyptic event. The uncertainty of Earth's fate was an ongoing plot point. Even if they did find a way home, would there still be a home if/when they ever got back?

The original show had a good story except for how the moon left Earth and traveled through space. :(

An updated remake wouldn't use the old props from the 70s. Now you're just nit picking, bro. It's kind of like those clowns who cried foul because the Star Trek movies didn't use the old Styrofoam bridge with the blinking lights. :icon_lol:

The entire run is available on Youtube. I still enjoy watching them every so often. :)

Not sure if this in in the other thread but here's a link to one of the producers of Space:2099. He basically reveals nothing about it though; not revealing anything about the wonky premise of having the moon fly thru space at interstellar speed. Needless to say (for the billionth time) I'm not going to hold my breath here.

http://io9.com/5884500/why-space-2099-wont-be-a-dark-and-gritty-reboot-of-space-1999