Falling Skies Discussion Thread *spoilers*

G

Graybrew1

Six months into the invasion, i do hope the survivors have learned some of these answers to fill in the plotholes and we will learn of them in ep 2.

Sounds Good, I will be watching tomorrow, either way.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
That and why people can have open fires and move around fearlessly in the day, come night how a flare can attract an airship.

I, too, have all these questions about the obvious, but I'm trying to give the show a chance to address it. If they don't give satisfactory answers to these very blatant issues in a timely fashion, i.e. by the second episode (after a freakin' 2 hour premiere) then I'm going to unload both barrels.

I know they can't give answers to every single thing within the first two episodes but they can certainly explain the points you've made. I mean, road flares attracting the aliens but 300 people in a confined area cranking out the BTU's via body heat and electromagnetic signatures for their equipment and cooking supplies doesn't register on the aliens radar? This is lame, but I'll give them a chance to explain it.

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
I, too, have all these questions about the obvious, but I'm trying to give the show a chance to address it. If they don't give satisfactory answers to these very blatant issues in a timely fashion, i.e. by the second episode (after a freakin' 2 hour premiere) then I'm going to unload both barrels.

I know they can't give answers to every single thing within the first two episodes but they can certainly explain the points you've made. I mean, road flares attracting the aliens but 300 people in a confined area cranking out the BTU's via body heat and electromagnetic signatures for their equipment and cooking supplies doesn't register on the aliens radar? This is lame, but I'll give them a chance to explain it.

It would be nice if they addressed these things but somehow I doubt they will. :(

I will give episode 2 a shot though...

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

That pretty much sums it up. If the premiere 2 hour episode was "building the foundation", then the rest is ALREADY on shaky ground. I dont expect them to explain that, or why the aliens dont just drop those "glow bombs" they had in the first episode on the survivors and just get rid of them? Im tired of hearing about the Masons already, and I dont feel any urgency about getting Ben or helping the other kid celebrate his birthday party by watching him wiggleboard, okay? Bring on the alien backstory and the flashbacks which show them invading and attacking earth. Or, is that opening crayon scene with the kid describing it as close as we are going to get? :facepalm:.

Falling Skies, you need to GRAB me and do it quick. :icon_cool:

ChromeToasterX

GateFans Noob
Well, finally having caught the pilot, I found it to be a bit mediocre, but a hell of a lot more tolerable than SGU's pilot (my new low bar for live action scifi pilots). I think the big problem with it was that it was actually two separate stories and not one single story, like most pilots, so there wasn't actually a lot of character establishment because each part was focused on their own plot. I will say that I'm pretty sure that short blond kid that hangs out with the Professor's group is another one of those dumb ideas Steven Spielberg likes tossing in whenever he produces something, without realizing how negatively it affects the story. Mirror Major Davis more than makes up for him tough and I hope he at least becomes a recurring character, because he and the Professor have good chemistry together, especially considering that the Professor is the only major character that really feels fleshed out at this point.

As for the aliens, I really get the feeling that they don't give a damn what the humans do as long as it doesn't directly affect their operations (whatever those are), because otherwise they would've created some sort of bioweapon to wipe out humanity before landing on Earth. I doubt that we're going to get any major revelations about the aliens in tonight's episode and we're almost certainly not going to get a flashback episode with tons of CGI in it, mostly because it's a bit too early to do that and the fact that the CGI on this show is terrible. That said, from the previews, it looks like there's going to be some sort of equalizing factor coming into play in the future, so we might get set up for it starting tonight.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
I'm looking forward to the new ep. hoping I don't get disappointed I admit. I agree with CTX that there may be some equalizing factor which will be set up starting tonight's ep. I really don't want it to fall into soap-fi - if it does I am gone. :P I will be watching it tomorrow night with hubby so will give my review/feelings on it then. :) enjoy!

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
I don't really think they have long range thermal scanners. If they did, there wouldn't be much of a show cause then the aliens would just hunt down all the humans. And come on, when a coast guard helicopter goes out, do they check to see thermal scans, or is the flare more obvious? They can't explain everything in two episodes, wouldn't be much of a show if they explained everything right away. Somehow I get the feeling the aliens are nocturnal and are letting some of the humans live for some sinister design. I'm hoping for answers too, but it'd would not be worth watching if everything was explained right away.

G

Graybrew1

This started 6 minutes ago, anybody else watching this tonight?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
This started 6 minutes ago, anybody else watching this tonight?

Meh, Ill download it later. Im not hoping for much...more Ben, more of the Masons. Why do I hear the tune from "My Three Sons" in my head now?

G

Graybrew1

Okay, but this is funny, about the "bad guy"..........................that is funny. :biggrin:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Okay, but this is funny, about the "bad guy"..........................that is funny. :biggrin:

Rush? Oh, I mean...wait, I cant think of his name. I refer to him as the "Rush guy".

G

Graybrew1

I'll watch it tomorrow, or the day after. You having fun with it so far?

Meh, But there is a very funny/ironic reveal about the "bad guy" that led to some more very good lines from him. He is definitely my favorite character. The rest of the plot, so far, not so much. Still up in the air.

G

Graybrew1

Rush? Oh, I mean...wait, I cant think of his name. I refer to him as the "Rush guy".

Smarty, definitely not Rush with this reveal, but it would have helped Rush's character if they had done something like this with him.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
It was okay...I was a bit disappointed that one scene they showed in the previews is obviously not going to happen yet! :P but it was interesting...
the harnesses keep the kids drugged, they can cut the "needles" of the harness with a blow torch- "surgery by blow torch"- going to be all the rage this year in med school i am sure! ;) when the skitter woke up so did the de-harnessed kid! Going to be interesting.

I could have done without the drama between tom and the new doctor whose cowdarly behavior tom blames for his wife's death.:facepalm:

The idea the aliens killed the kids to send a message- Nazi style was interesting. Now Hal is going to be looking for his "lost love" :facepalm:
...less drama more action. it's not gone into the land of soap-fi yet....but it's getting close! :P

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
It was okay...I was a bit disappointed that one scene they showed in the previews is obviously not going to happen yet! :P but it was interesting...
the harnesses keep the kids drugged, they can cut the "needles" of the harness with a blow torch- "surgery by blow torch"- going to be all the rage this year in med school i am sure! ;) when the skitter woke up so did the de-harnessed kid! Going to be interesting.

I could have done without the drama between tom and the new doctor whose cowdarly behavior tom blames for his wife's death.:facepalm:

The idea the aliens killed the kids to send a message- Nazi style was interesting. Now Hal is going to be looking for his "lost love" :facepalm:
...less drama more action. it's not gone into the land of soap-fi yet....but it's getting close! :P

They will get there, and they will stay there because its cheaper to do the drama than spend money on the cheap looking CGI in the show. Its on its burn phase to kick start the show, then it will settle into orbit around the Soap planet.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
I'm still hopeful it will reach escape velocity and not sink into the corona of the star known as Soap-fi. :P