FAIL: No Full Season of Doctor Who in 2012

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Last week a nasty Doctor Who rumor was circulating — that even though Matt Smith has signed on to do another 14 Doctor Who episodes, there wouldn't be a full season next year. Sadly, these suspicions have been confirmed. Danny Cohen, Controller of BBC One, was speaking at an event where we got the first confirmation that Doctor Who would NOT becoming back for a full season in 2012. A member of the audience, Wayne Clarke, confirmed via twitter that "Danny Cohen says there won't be a full series of Doctor Who in 2012, but a special run for the anniversary in 2013."

:(
For a minute there I thought doctor who was facing the cancellation :eek:

http://uk.io9.com/5811945/confirmed-no-full-season-of-doctor-who-in-2012

YoshiKart64

Well Known GateFan
Wait, what the?!?

Why are they doing this! Are they trying to hold off on episodes so there's more for the anniversary in 2013?

I kind of think this is a bad move, 13 episodes isn't a whole lot as it is and it was only a few years ago we had the Tennant 'special' year. But I think what's really annoying here is that DW has never been better; now is not the time to alter the flow!

EDIT: Well at least SOME episodes will be there in 2012 (upon reading more on this). Still I say screw 2012, let's see what they have planned for the 50th anv in 2013!

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
That is odd. I thought the show was doing well enough to offset production costs so why not a "full" season? I know this is just anecdotal but I've heard nothing but good things about Dr. Who lately. There is no shortage of fans. Moffett (sp?) has a pretty wild story arc going on that has everyone abuzz. Doesn't make sense (to me) to be so penurious with the episodes.

YoshiKart64

Well Known GateFan
It's still been renewed for the same number of episodes it usually is. It just seems like they are holding off part of the season in order to have more episodes in 2013 (the 50th anniversary).

I guess the BBC can't spend an insane amount of money to go big in 2013 (it has to be fair to non DW fans who are license payers) so they thought this was the best way.

I don't think it means the BBC is down on DW, it;s still the show its investing the most in (i presume).

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I think that this is a result of the government wide budget cuts. The license fee is not enough to cover everything and the part coming from the general budget has been lowered.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Perhaps the government shouldn't be in the business of making TV shows, n'est pas? Just a thought.

G

Graybrew1

I think that this is a result of the government wide budget cuts. The license fee is not enough to cover everything and the part coming from the general budget has been lowered.

Even still, they have better Scifi shows on than Syfy. IMHO. :icon_e_wink:

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
Perhaps the government shouldn't be in the business of making TV shows, n'est pas? Just a thought.

Yeah but then the BBC would have to start with commercian breaks, product placements and all that, which is something I really do not want to see in Doctor Who.

The Doctor: "I will save the entire Earth, but first I'm going to drink this delicious can of Pepsi!" :beckettd:

The BBC is and should always remain a public service institution, just like SVT (the public broadcaster we have over here in Sweden).

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Yeah but then the BBC would have to start with commercian breaks, product placements and all that, which is something I really do not want to see in Doctor Who.

The Doctor: "I will save the entire Earth, but first I'm going to drink this delicious can of Pepsi!" :beckettd:

The BBC is and should always remain a public service institution, just like SVT (the public broadcaster we have over here in Sweden).

Then the trade off is that you get limited Dr. Who. ;)

And over here Dr. Who has commercial breaks. They generally fit them in pretty well although sometimes BBCA doesn't run the full episodes so we end up missing a little. I don't know if this is related to the commercials or if it's simply the way the time frame for the episodes to begin with.

B

Backstep

Then the trade off is that you get limited Dr. Who. ;)

And over here Dr. Who has commercial breaks. They generally fit them in pretty well although sometimes BBCA doesn't run the full episodes so we end up missing a little. I don't know if this is related to the commercials or if it's simply the way the time frame for the episodes to begin with.

If the show is 59 minutes in the UK, the first run of the show on BBCA is 1 hour 15 minutes, then edited to fit a hour format there after.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I would prefer 10-13 eps of a superior product to 20-26 eps of an inferior product any day of the week :)

Tropicana

Council Member
BBC has just reported this news, reason for the reduce number of episodes next season? Steven Moffat is also the executive producer for the series, Sherlock and is currently writing 3 of the series' new episodes. Moffat apparently reiterated that the scheduling of Sherlock itself doesn't affect Dr. Who, I believe it's due to his personal commitment between the 2 series.

Personally speaking, if he can't commit to both series at the same time then he should resign from one. So both series get the high quality and rightful number of episodes they deserve.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-13784334

YoshiKart64

Well Known GateFan
BBC has just reported this news, reason for the reduce number of episodes next season? Steven Moffat is also the executive producer for the series, Sherlock and is currently writing 3 of the series' new episodes. Moffat apparently reiterated that the scheduling of Sherlock itself doesn't affect Dr. Who, I believe it's due to his personal commitment between the 2 series.

Personally speaking, if he can't commit to both series at the same time then he should resign from one. So both series get the high quality and rightful number of episodes they deserve.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-13784334

This was actually a joke that got taken out of context. Moffat is fine working on both shows - he has said it's business as usual for him, it's just the BBC who decide when it airs.

I haven't seen Sherlock though, I hear it's good. Anybody seen it?

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
This was actually a joke that got taken out of context. Moffat is fine working on both shows - he has said it's business as usual for him, it's just the BBC who decide when it airs.

I haven't seen Sherlock though, I hear it's good. Anybody seen it?

I have seen a few eps dude, It's pretty good, but I'm addmitidly biased as I like Doyles original work and I'm a big Basil Rathbone fan. It's a modern take on SH but it is really an interesting series from what I have seen. :)

heisenberg

Earl Grey
I have seen a few eps dude, It's pretty good, but I'm addmitidly biased as I like Doyles original work and I'm a big Basil Rathbone fan. It's a modern take on SH but it is really an interesting series from what I have seen. :)

I''ll check out Sherlock too :)