Entering a level design contest

Leo(T.C.K.)

GateFans Noob
Hey,

I've been busy working on a new level in a 20 brush only level contest (plus it has limited surface limit too) past week. The contest is for fps games like Quake 3, Unreal Tournament, UT2004 and UT3. But the level must be made out of pure BSP and no meshes, or decorations, only gameplay models like weapons, monsters, items etc are allowed.

I noticed the contest too late, in fact it ends in 18th, that's when I can enter my submission as last day. Too bad, I could have had more time. I am creating something really unique although to make more rooms and detail (I am merging brushes together to cut down on the brush size although that takes more time), although it is low poly of course and you can't make high poly with 32 surface limit (in fact that's what normal staircase with eight steps has).

I'm not sure if I can make it in time, however I have chances of winning or scoring a fair place if I do, because I am making something unique and not just deathmatch level.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Hey,

I've been busy working on a new level in a 20 brush only level contest (plus it has limited surface limit too) past week. The contest is for fps games like Quake 3, Unreal Tournament, UT2004 and UT3. But the level must be made out of pure BSP and no meshes, or decorations, only gameplay models like weapons, monsters, items etc are allowed.

I noticed the contest too late, in fact it ends in 18th, that's when I can enter my submission as last day. Too bad, I could have had more time. I am creating something really unique although to make more rooms and detail (I am merging brushes together to cut down on the brush size although that takes more time), although it is low poly of course and you can't make high poly with 32 surface limit (in fact that's what normal staircase with eight steps has).

I'm not sure if I can make it in time, however I have chances of winning or scoring a fair place if I do, because I am making something unique and not just deathmatch level.

Good luck dude!:beckettu:

Leo(T.C.K.)

GateFans Noob
I did submit it although not all that I planned ended up in the level due to limited time. I planned to make a large battle arena in the end with lots of monsters, that didn't get made, but I think I made intersting small level nonetheless, I will record video of it later.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Good luck man!

Hey,

I hope you win it! :beckettu:

Leo(T.C.K.)

GateFans Noob
Thanks. I don't have to win though, it was fun to make it though. There are some impressive deathmatch and ctf levels submitted by the other contestant, so it will be rough to tell who will win.

Here's a video of my level for those who cannot play it, but if you can play it don't view the video becasue you can spoil it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zd0hmXxr2nU

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
AWESOME!

Thanks. I don't have to win though, it was fun to make it though. There are some impressive deathmatch and ctf levels submitted by the other contestant, so it will be rough to tell who will win.

Here's a video of my level for those who cannot play it, but if you can play it don't view the video becasue you can spoil it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zd0hmXxr2nU

That looks so much like Quake II to me, one of my favorite games! I bet that it uses the Quake game engine. Am I right? :)

Leo(T.C.K.)

GateFans Noob
No, it is Unreal engine, the first one. Unreal engine was the main competitor of Quake engine back then and it kinda won the battle also they could do colored lighting even back in developement in 1996, it came out two years later though, but still was better in many places than quake 2 engine. The texture set I am using in the map is an unused texture set found in the expansion pack of Unreal, this texture set was actually used in some older pre release versions of Unreal, but it was scrapped altogether with the levels that used it. I guess because it looks way too much like Hexen or Heretic textures or just beacsue they changed the tone of the game a little.

Leo(T.C.K.)

GateFans Noob
This is gameplay of my new map for the 10th anniversary Unrealsp contest:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzaeY6XrPGw

I have mentioned it in some thread that I can't find right now.

I rushed out the last part anyway because I didn't
have much time and had to cut some unfinished rooms as well, too bad
becasue I had something really cool prepared and did some additional
brush work, for cool artifacts and stuff, I didn't end up using it
sadly, I had to provide a lame temporary ending too.

But still it turned up pretty well I guess.

I ended up on second place for the 20 brush contest though, but not sure how much luck I will have with this one.

Leo(T.C.K.)

GateFans Noob
For those who are interested, that last contest turned out to be totally ridiculous disapoitment, unprofessional behavior from the judges, biased scores, because I am hated by many people on the UnrealSP. My map ended up second worst, even though my map was one of the most polished and longest ones and would at least deserve to be on fifth place among on the others, fifth place had various maps at once.
On third place ended up a level which was a single hallway, including decorations and a poem and nothing else. Besides I even fixed the map for that guy and for few others, and even hosted file mirrors, yet I was kicked in the balls by them and I left the community pretty much. Because my energy expended into that was not worth it.

I am currently working on this playstation port rework:
http://www.ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3408

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
For those who are interested, that last contest turned out to be totally ridiculous disapoitment, unprofessional behavior from the judges, biased scores, because I am hated by many people on the UnrealSP. My map ended up second worst, even though my map was one of the most polished and longest ones and would at least deserve to be on fifth place among on the others, fifth place had various maps at once.
On third place ended up a level which was a single hallway, including decorations and a poem and nothing else. Besides I even fixed the map for that guy and for few others, and even hosted file mirrors, yet I was kicked in the balls by them and I left the community pretty much. Because my energy expended into that was not worth it.

I am currently working on this playstation port rework:
http://www.ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3408

How many competitors were there? Your work was great IMO.

Leo(T.C.K.)

GateFans Noob
http://www.unrealsp.org/community/features/speedmap10/speedmap10-intro.html

Those are the actual results, so 9 contestants minus the ones that didn't submit but planned to, as you can see they didn't even follow a scheme and really, like two of the judges hated me anyway (plus sana, who I didn't know would get to be judge, but at least he was nowhere as pathetic as jet and shivaxi). In the actual reviews they don't seem to be harsh, but sure they dislikeness for me showed there and they weren't so polite about me outside these pages (like their irc channel, so to speak). But, the third place map, when you see the screenshots provided, it was just a single hallway, all what you see on screenshots here:
http://www.unrealsp.org/community/features/speedmap10/speedmap10-03.html

On those two screenshots, that's all there is to the map, it's a single hallway with no gameplay, just with translator messages and look at the ridiculous score those two gave it, 10 out of 10, both. Now that isn't very professional is it?

EDIT: I wish I still had the review they gave me at leveldesign.nl, for some reason they took down the results and stuff, but it was proper review.