Enjoying all Trek!

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
While I have been ill for the past 10 days I have been spending time watching my Star Trek Fan Collectives. It was great to see that even the much maligned ENT had good entertainment value and I am discovering that TNG wasn't as bad as I remembered! ;) DS9 is still my fave of the new Treks with VOY a close second...I enjoyed "far beyond the stars" from DS9 yesterday...and wondered if Benny was the dream or Benjamin Sisko was. :D I watched "endgame"(VOY's final ep) and remembered how much fun time travel paradoxes always are with trek. :) Too bad sgu couldn't have lived up to it's promise and take stargate on as these Treks did. :)

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
One of my all-time favorite DS9 episodes will always be "The Magnificent Ferengi".

Nothing quite like a cameo by Iggy Pop as a Vorta.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
While I have been ill for the past 10 days I have been spending time watching my Star Trek Fan Collectives. It was great to see that even the much maligned ENT had good entertainment value and I am discovering that TNG wasn't as bad as I remembered! ;) DS9 is still my fave of the new Treks with VOY a close second...I enjoyed "far beyond the stars" from DS9 yesterday...and wondered if Benny was the dream or Benjamin Sisko was. :D I watched "endgame"(VOY's final ep) and remembered how much fun time travel paradoxes always are with trek. :) Too bad sgu couldn't have lived up to it's promise and take stargate on as these Treks did. :)

Yep, although Enterprise wasnt the best Trek, it was an entertaining show...waaaaaay moreso than SGpoo! Good to hear you are finding a bright spot even though you have been ill. I hope hubby has been pampering you too! :) Voyager was awesome to me too, but that creepy Kes character ruined seasons 1-3 for me.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Yep, although Enterprise wasnt the best Trek, it was an entertaining show...waaaaaay moreso than SGpoo! Good to hear you are finding a bright spot even though you have been ill. I hope hubby has been pampering you too! :) Voyager was awesome to me too, but that creepy Kes character ruined seasons 1-3 for me.

I don't think Kes was the creepy part, it was the Idea of her relationship with Neelix when she was only 2 that freaked people out :P

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I don't think Kes was the creepy part, it was the Idea of her relationship with Neelix when she was only 2 that freaked people out :P

Yeah, that is more accurate. I could never figure out what their relationship was supposed to be...father/daughter sorta, or uncle/niece? But the mere thought of them being romantically involved is enough to make my stomach churn. :puke:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Remember Ocampans lived only 7 years total. So Kes at 2 is roughly a 24 year old woman. The real underlying issue was the silly concept behind the Ocampans.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Remember Ocampans lived only 7 years total. So Kes at 2 is roughly a 24 year old woman. The real underlying issue was the silly concept behind the Ocampans.

I didn't mind the concept behind them (short lived psychic race with repressed powers), but I don't think anyone got over the concept of a sexualized 2 year old (Scifi construct or not). YMMV of course.

G

Graybrew1

I did like how they had her character evolve. And that she gave them "a push" before her end.

YoshiKart64

Well Known GateFan
Right I accidentally caught the end of Star Trek IV The Voyage Home earlier.

What was up with the whale's and the endless screaming and the complete lack of space! I hope the first two movies are (how do I say this...) different to that one.

G

Graybrew1

Right I accidentally caught the end of Star Trek IV The Voyage Home earlier.

What was up with the whale's and the endless screaming and the complete lack of space! I hope the first two movies are (how do I say this...) different to that one.

You did not like the Whale movie? I loved that one. Lots of funny lines in it. :icon_lol:

It was their "feel good" movie. Just like TNG had with Insurrection. Happy Endings all around and lots of funny! :D

YoshiKart64

Well Known GateFan
You did not like the Whale movie? I loved that one. Lots of funny lines in it. :icon_lol:

It was their "feel good" movie. Just like TNG had with Insurrection. Happy Endings all around and lots of funny! :D

I only saw the end to be fair. I just wondered where the Star's or the Trekking was. Plus I had no idea what was going on and the whales seemed to scream FOREVER!

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
I only saw the end to be fair. I just wondered where the Star's or the Trekking was. Plus I had no idea what was going on and the whales seemed to scream FOREVER!
That wasn't screaming, that was whale song. That's how they communicate with one another. It was also an important plot point.

Without REAL whales to respond to the craft that was destroying the Earth, things did not bode well for the planet.

Someone in the film suggested that they "fake" it, and that idea was very quickly smacked down for the reason that it would very likely sound like gibberish to the craft orbiting the planet.

Thus, they had to go back in time, and there ya go!

G

Graybrew1

LOL. I understand. If you see the whole thing you would see some Star's (but not a lot) and lots of Trekking. I agree with you the whale cries got a little much at times. But very important to the storyline of the movie.

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
I think the general rule of thumb on the movies is that the even-numbered ones are good and the odd-numbered ones - not so much. ;)

G

Graybrew1

I think the general rule of thumb on the movies is that the even-numbered ones are good and the odd-numbered ones - not so much. ;)

The only ST movies I did not love were the first TOS Star Trek TMP and TNG Nemesis. I enjoyed all the rest.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The only ST movies I did not love were the first TOS Star Trek TMP and TNG Nemesis. I enjoyed all the rest.

My thoughts exactly. TOS TMP was too contrived to me, and the story seemed to me to be a ripoff of "The Changeling" episode with Nomad (just blown way up). Nemesis wasnt that great either IMO. But I would have to say the worst for me was The Final Frontier.

G

Graybrew1

My thoughts exactly. TOS TMP was too contrived to me, and the story seemed to me to be a ripoff of "The Changeling" episode with Nomad (just blown way up). Nemesis wasnt that great either IMO. But I would have to say the worst for me was The Final Frontier.

I have not seen that one in so long that I will have to add it to my list of stuff to watch. Hope Netflix has it. :D

Aragon101

Illusive Deity of Fanfic
The Director's Cut of TOS TMP is much much better. (well... not really, but it does pace much better). No longer is the entry into V'ger 20 minutes long, no longer is V'ger 82 AU's big (WTF was the Berry thinking?!) and there are plenty of other smaller cuts and nips that make the movie overall more enjoyable.

WoK was the best IMO, Director's Cut only improves it thank god.

SfS was... meh. Had its moments, but for the most part it wasn't that great.

TVH was where the movies took a turn for the worst IMO. Not necessarily a bad movie as i quite enjoyed it, but what's been said is what i thought. Where's the Star and the Trek? It pushed too much for humor without adding larger plot oriented story. It was basically all situational story telling rather than plot oriented storytelling.

TFF was the byproduct of TVH. Humor sells, but that doesn't mean it creates quality. A pretty decent story is overwhelmed by the constant need to laugh. Again, an enjoyable movie, but it lacked that "epic" nature that WoK had.

Which brings us to TUDC, pretty much the best synergy of all that made Star Trek awesome. Complicated plot, camaraderie, swashbuckling and politics all mingled into a mildly humorous and deadly serious storyline. The way they managed to insert real issues such as racism, politics, facism and tolerance into a story which overall isn't 'dark' made the movie one of my favorites.

TNG's movie ventures on the other hand have been... less than great. Generations was one giant clusterfuck of a movie (and RDM has acknowledged this) with a non-sensical plot, strange character developments, and reusing stock footage... ugh. Generations could have been a brilliant movie that continued the "All Good Things..." story with the Q Continuum pitting the TNG and TOS crew against the same threat, to see how fast humanity is evolving by using one generation as a unit of measurement. ARGH. Now i'm pissed that didn't happen!

First Contact started out awesomely, but quickly took a nosedive as far as the B-plot of the movie (Riker and the crew trapped on the ground getting the ship to launch). The battle on the ship itself was interesting and the crew developments were definitely not what TNG fans were used to. (Picard losing his cool on several occasions, particularly when he finally snaps and trashes his office were incredibly well acted.) Sadly this is the best TNG movie to date, as the plot itself was a little flat and contrived IMO.

Insurrection... ugh, I couldn't exactly watch that movie and not groan multiple times. It was like the worser of the TOS movies, watchable, but not brilliant.

Nemesis was IMO not a Trek movie. Just a sci-fi movie that happens to cast the same actors. None of them act in character, they all seem so tired and beaten... Data especially looked like he was tired of life itself and his suicide run seemed just perfect given how the movie felt. It wouldn't even be difficult to rewrite it using the same scenes just rearranged into a better movie.

Bah, this rant is over :P

G

Graybrew1

The Director's Cut of TOS TMP is much much better. (well... not really, but it does pace much better). No longer is the entry into V'ger 20 minutes long, no longer is V'ger 82 AU's big (WTF was the Berry thinking?!) and there are plenty of other smaller cuts and nips that make the movie overall more enjoyable.

WoK was the best IMO, Director's Cut only improves it thank god.

SfS was... meh. Had its moments, but for the most part it wasn't that great.

TVH was where the movies took a turn for the worst IMO. Not necessarily a bad movie as i quite enjoyed it, but what's been said is what i thought. Where's the Star and the Trek? It pushed too much for humor without adding larger plot oriented story. It was basically all situational story telling rather than plot oriented storytelling.

TFF was the byproduct of TVH. Humor sells, but that doesn't mean it creates quality. A pretty decent story is overwhelmed by the constant need to laugh. Again, an enjoyable movie, but it lacked that "epic" nature that WoK had.

Which brings us to TUDC, pretty much the best synergy of all that made Star Trek awesome. Complicated plot, camaraderie, swashbuckling and politics all mingled into a mildly humorous and deadly serious storyline. The way they managed to insert real issues such as racism, politics, facism and tolerance into a story which overall isn't 'dark' made the movie one of my favorites.

TNG's movie ventures on the other hand have been... less than great. Generations was one giant clusterfuck of a movie (and RDM has acknowledged this) with a non-sensical plot, strange character developments, and reusing stock footage... ugh. Generations could have been a brilliant movie that continued the "All Good Things..." story with the Q Continuum pitting the TNG and TOS crew against the same threat, to see how fast humanity is evolving by using one generation as a unit of measurement. ARGH. Now i'm pissed that didn't happen!

First Contact started out awesomely, but quickly took a nosedive as far as the B-plot of the movie (Riker and the crew trapped on the ground getting the ship to launch). The battle on the ship itself was interesting and the crew developments were definitely not what TNG fans were used to. (Picard losing his cool on several occasions, particularly when he finally snaps and trashes his office were incredibly well acted.) Sadly this is the best TNG movie to date, as the plot itself was a little flat and contrived IMO.

Insurrection... ugh, I couldn't exactly watch that movie and not groan multiple times. It was like the worser of the TOS movies, watchable, but not brilliant.

Nemesis was IMO not a Trek movie. Just a sci-fi movie that happens to cast the same actors. None of them act in character, they all seem so tired and beaten... Data especially looked like he was tired of life itself and his suicide run seemed just perfect given how the movie felt. It wouldn't even be difficult to rewrite it using the same scenes just rearranged into a better movie.

Bah, this rant is over :P

Well, did that feel good to get off your chest. LOL :D
I still have some rose colored glasses when it come to ST. Good or Bad, I could re watch them all, No problem.

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
Well, did that feel good to get off your chest. LOL :D
I still have some rose colored glasses when it come to ST. Good or Bad, I could re watch them all, No problem.

I think Aragon101 has documented the odd/even phenomenon quite well. Saved me a lot of typing too. :D