Edge of Tomorrow

ParagonPie

Well Known GateFan
Tom Cruise battles aliens trapped in a ground hog day like event in an effort to prove he isn't gay!

So its based off of a Japanese light novel called "All you need is Kill" in which a young recruit is caught in a time loop, dying constantly he uses this to hone his skills as a soldier in an effort to change his fate against alien invaders.

Compared to this version, where (from the trailer) Tom Cruise has 'hijacked their ability' (assuming the aliens they are fighting) to potentially reverse ones fate, while also running around London doing crazy things. Other than you know, trying to stop alien invaders.

It is also directed by the guy who did Bourne Identity and Mr & Mrs Smith. Oh Joy.
Also I'm going to shake my head at the design of the exo-suits, talk about offering little in the way of protection for the operator. Its like they copy and pasted the exo-suits we are currently designing right now, in lab only testing.

Pre-judge for yourself!

B

Backstep

Tom Cruise battles aliens trapped in a ground hog day like event in an effort to prove he isn't gay!

So its based off of a Japanese light novel called "All you need is Kill" in which a young recruit is caught in a time loop, dying constantly he uses this to hone his skills as a soldier in an effort to change his fate against alien invaders.

Compared to this version, where (from the trailer) Tom Cruise has 'hijacked their ability' (assuming the aliens they are fighting) to potentially reverse ones fate, while also running around London doing crazy things. Other than you know, trying to stop alien invaders.

It is also directed by the guy who did Bourne Identity and Mr & Mrs Smith. Oh Joy.
Also I'm going to shake my head at the design of the exo-suits, talk about offering little in the way of protection for the operator. Its like they copy and pasted the exo-suits we are currently designing right now, in lab only testing.

Pre-judge for yourself!

Butt, I saw Tom packing fudge in South Park 200 :playful: :wink-new: :shame:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Tom Cruise needs to stop stinking up movies that could be cool if done right. Seriously, his fifteen minutes are over. Dude needs to just slither back into his Scientology closet and go away. :sour:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Pre-judge for yourself!

cruise-running.gif

YJ02

Well Known GateFan

Pre-judge for yourself!

Tom Cruise as a "young recruit"--funny! The guys older then me.

All of these films he is chugging out-its that Scientology brain soup that is causing him to think he can pull it off-I am sure of it.

ParagonPie

Well Known GateFan
Tom Cruise as a "young recruit"--funny! The guys older then me.

All of these films he is chugging out-its that Scientology brain soup that is causing him to think he can pull it off-I am sure of it.

Actually in the film he is a Lt. Colonel, which doesn't make sense since he's charging into battle all decked out and stuff. Plus he says he's not a soldier (in the trailer) despite having the bloody rank of a Lt. Colonel. AAAAAAAAAAAAARGH.

Also in the future when we did revert back to the tactics of World War 1? Seriously look at the trailer, you have ground forces being air dropped and with amphibious landing vehicles at the same time, in broad day light. Good lord on a bicycle!

B

Backstep

Actually in the film he is a Lt. Colonel, which doesn't make sense since he's charging into battle all decked out and stuff. Plus he says he's not a soldier (in the trailer) despite having the bloody rank of a Lt. Colonel. AAAAAAAAAAAAARGH.

Also in the future when we did revert back to the tactics of World War 1? Seriously look at the trailer, you have ground forces being air dropped and with amphibious landing vehicles at the same time, in broad day light. Good lord on a bicycle!

He could have been a Lt. Colonel in charge of the PX.?

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
I think people's biggest problem with Tom Cruise is that he can never delegate himself to a supporting role or smaller more personal roles outside of the action genre. I can't recall the last time he wasn't a main character. Oh yeah, Tropic Thunder, and he was funny in that. Think everyone generally liked his role in that. He most definitely always puts himself in the leading man role as well as sort of the same character in all of his films. He's like George Clooney, playing the same character over and over.

But I did like some of his previous movies. His MI movies as of late were pretty good, Oblivion was a decent sci-fi flic. Don't know what else. But those movies never stand above and beyond to a memorable status. Think Will Smith, as of late, also is a bit Tom Cruise-y, insists on being the leading man.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I think people's biggest problem with Tom Cruise is that he can never delegate himself to a supporting role or smaller more personal roles outside of the action genre. I can't recall the last time he wasn't a main character. Oh yeah, Tropic Thunder, and he was funny in that. Think everyone generally liked his role in that. He most definitely always puts himself in the leading man role as well as sort of the same character in all of his films. He's like George Clooney, playing the same character over and over.

But I did like some of his previous movies. His MI movies as of late were pretty good, Oblivion was a decent sci-fi flic. Don't know what else. But those movies never stand above and beyond to a memorable status. Think Will Smith, as of late, also is a bit Tom Cruise-y, insists on being the leading man.

Its funny you should mention Cruise and Will Smith and their "It's gotta be me" attitudes. They have something in common that,IMO, causes them to do this. It's almost a religious predilection,

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
I meant relegate, not delegate.

I brought up Will Smith cause I remembered reading somewhere he wasn't going to be in Independence Day cause his role wasn't big enough? Or it might have been in Django which he passed up for that reason, I forget. What do you mean about religious predilection?

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I meant relegate, not delegate.

I brought up Will Smith cause I remembered reading somewhere he wasn't going to be in Independence Day cause his role wasn't big enough? Or it might have been in Django which he passed up for that reason, I forget. What do you mean about religious predilection?

They are both involved in Scientology- Of course Cruise freely admits it while Smith and his family cover it up-though he has never denied it (that I know of).

The "leading man: issue is something I suspect, is a symptom of Scientology's "bigger, better, me" principle (they call it something else) from Dianetics, etc.

Most actors and other celebs involved with Scientology have either flat out failed or they achieved the leading man status=Travolta is another.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
They are both involved in Scientology- Of course Cruise freely admits it while Smith and his family cover it up-though he has never denied it (that I know of).

The "leading man: issue is something I suspect, is a symptom of Scientology's "bigger, better, me" principle (they call it something else) from Dianetics, etc.

Most actors and other celebs involved with Scientology have either flat out failed or they achieved the leading man status=Travolta is another.

Found a vid on it. I think the drive that causes Cruise and Smith, Travolta (acting, jet pilot) and, by his pursuing music, acting, marriage and politics at the same time-Sonny Bono, to all act in this uber leading man role is a effect of what they call 'auditing'

The I can do it all-attitude is a way to attract/keep away the 'thetans' (i am not sure if they are good or bad) and to become their own carnation of a god. The more intense the life the bigger the spiritual payoff type of thing