Do you actually use a lot of "apps" on your phone or tablet?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I was thinking about this after seeing tech argument number 999,999,999 over "my OS has 'x' million apps and yours doesn't". So I looked at what I actually use:

On my phone:

email
calendar
text
phone
weather
Word (to read email attachments)
Excel (to read email attachments)
Powerpoint (to read email attachments)
OneNote

On the tablet

same as phone plus eReader
Acrobat

I do also have remote access software on both. But the interesting fact to me was that the so called "app war" is meaningless in the real world. I haven't even been in the app store for weeks at a time.

What it basically says is that if the mobile ecosystem has quality tools for the common use cases then the sheer number of apps is meaningless.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Unfortunately some of us aren't rich enough to be burdened with apps. :moody: I shall endeavor to imagine your pain. :P

Seriously though, what amazes me is how some apps can be huge money makers for the designers. I mean, who would have thought Angry Birds and Candy Crush (sp?) would be worth millions? But these apps, and plenty of others, are valued highly as stock purchases.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Unfortunately some of us aren't rich enough to be burdened with apps. :moody: I shall endeavor to imagine your pain. :P

Seriously though, what amazes me is how some apps can be huge money makers for the designers. I mean, who would have thought Angry Birds and Candy Crush (sp?) would be worth millions? But these apps, and plenty of others, are valued highly as stock purchases.

Designers of apps like Angry Birds and Candy Crush have tapped into one human trait we all have, which is the tendency to fiddle and fidget. That is what makes them genius.

Both those games would experience massive fail on a game console for the simple reason that they suck. However, on a handheld, gesture-driven device, they become addictive.

Bluce Ree

I tend to focus on features in my launcher. For example, swipe-up to bring up the latest news/entertainment widget, double-tap to lock, etc.

The stock LG G3 launcher is very nice but I wanted something leaner and cleaner, so I went with one called EverythingMe. It's simple, snappy and has some nice features.

As far as extra apps, aside from the Google basics, I use FitnessPal, the popular chat apps (WhatsApp, Viber, BBM), something called Polaris to view emailed documents, banking and Paypal.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Similar to mine then. It seems the universe of apps actually of use is far smaller than the total app universe.

ecgordon

Star's Hero
I'd have to buy a smart phone before I start worrying about apps.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
A friend of mine has an iPhone and uses the weather app that came with it (or so he says). I've been haranguing him for months now to find a better weather app because the one he's using sucks. Seriously, it can be raining cats and dogs here but his app will say it's sunny. :rolleye0014:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Designers of apps like Angry Birds and Candy Crush have tapped into one human trait we all have, which is the tendency to fiddle and fidget. That is what makes them genius.

Both those games would experience massive fail on a game console for the simple reason that they suck. However, on a handheld, gesture-driven device, they become addictive.

You should create an app game. I envision something called "Muscle Beach Mayhem". You can have this muscle-y lifeguard running around the beach having to do stuff like beat back waves of giant crabs from coming ashore and/or goofy tasks like that. Think of the millions you will make off of it! (I get 51% for coming up with the idea. :P )

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I was thinking about this after seeing tech argument number 999,999,999 over "my OS has 'x' million apps and yours doesn't". So I looked at what I actually use:

On my phone:

email
calendar
text
phone
weather
Word (to read email attachments)
Excel (to read email attachments)
Powerpoint (to read email attachments)
OneNote

On the tablet

same as phone plus eReader
Acrobat

I do also have remote access software on both. But the interesting fact to me was that the so called "app war" is meaningless in the real world. I haven't even been in the app store for weeks at a time.

What it basically says is that if the mobile ecosystem has quality tools for the common use cases then the sheer number of apps is meaningless.

Yes, I use several daily.

Phone

Email - several accounts in one place on the phone, plus the unified inbox for convenience
Calendar - Used with CalDAV and CardDAV on my own cloud based server for synching calendar and contacts.
Text - including MMS
Phone
Clock -
This has several daily alarms programmed into it. I use the timer for laundry and cooking, and the stopwatch while exercising.
Camera - I snap photos daily, along with video. Since my storage is in the cloud, I do this often without worrying about space being taken up on the phone.
Skype - Allows me to call internationally using Skype Credit, right from the phone like any other call. I frequently use the video calling on Skype too.
Polaris Office - Opens Word, Excel, Powerpoint, others. Also creates files in those formats.
Google Now - Voice Activated control of phone whilst driving. Say "OK Google" and you can open apps, play songs, get navigation turn by turn, get the weather, look up things on Wikipedia, etc etc etc. It's awesome and makes Siri look like a lobotomy patient in terms of functionality.
Daily Horoscope (Pisces) - Its fun. :) I read this when I am on a vape break or snacking.
Equalizer + - My music player with equalizer and bass boost. It has my music library and it is set up with Bluetooth so that when I get in my car and the stereo comes on, it automatically connects with the phone and it becomes my car stereo. All music is played through the car sound system, and when a call comes in the music automatically pauses and the call is hands free (I have a microphone connected from the stereo which came with it).
RGB Remote - IR remote control of my LED color changing lamps at home.
Quick Remote - IR TV remote control app which is programmed with both my LG TV and my Insignia TV and my LG Bluray. It automatically shows up on my notifications when I am within range of home. I use it as the full function remotes for both TVs.
Lightning Bug - I use this every day on both the phone and tablet.

Tablet

On the tablet, I use it mostly for reading and Netflix. If I have to do remote from either the phone or tablet, I prefer the tablet because of the bigger screen but I can do it from the phone too. But Google syncs the apps to all my Android devices so all the apps from the phone are on the tablet but it is wireless only so no phone app. But using Skype on the tablet over any wireless, I can make phone calls to anyone anywhere on a landline, mobile or Skype.

I totally agree that the number of apps available is meaningless. Why Apple or Google ever mentions the number of apps in the market as being a selling point is kinda dumb to me. Although the Windows Store lacks apps to do things people might want to do, a full Windows tablet or phone opens up the entire software universe of Windows software which is the biggest ever to exist. When *Nix phones can run Ubuntu or other full Debian Linux distro, a similar opening of the floodgates will happen. :)

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
You should create an app game. I envision something called "Muscle Beach Mayhem". You can have this muscle-y lifeguard running around the beach having to do stuff like beat back waves of giant crabs from coming ashore and/or goofy tasks like that. Think of the millions you will make off of it! (I get 51% for coming up with the idea. :P )

That-Moment-When-You-Get-a-Great-Idea-GIF.gif

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I tend to focus on features in my launcher. For example, swipe-up to bring up the latest news/entertainment widget, double-tap to lock, etc.

The stock LG G3 launcher is very nice but I wanted something leaner and cleaner, so I went with one called EverythingMe. It's simple, snappy and has some nice features.

As far as extra apps, aside from the Google basics, I use FitnessPal, the popular chat apps (WhatsApp, Viber, BBM), something called Polaris to view emailed documents, banking and Paypal.

I love Polaris Office. Perfect for phones (I have the LG G2). I forgot to add the CapitalOne, Bank of America and Amazon App which I also use frequently. I have not installed the PayPal app yet. :) I was using tapatalk to surf this site, but the native format is great on phones and I can use the smileys if I dont use Tapatalk.

Bluce Ree

Ya know, I'm laughing but you may be onto something. :D

Bluce Ree

I love Polaris Office. Perfect for phones (I have the LG G2). I forgot to add the CapitalOne, Bank of America and Amazon App which I also use frequently. I have not installed the PayPal app yet. :) I was using tapatalk to surf this site, but the native format is great on phones and I can use the smileys if I dont use Tapatalk.

Ah, yes, Tapatalk! I forgot I have that, too. :)