DO NOT use Cling Wrap in the Microwave...

Discussion in 'General Science Discussions' started by heisenberg, Apr 2, 2017.

  1. heisenberg

    heisenberg Earl Grey Staff Member

    Reputation:
    198,119
    No matter what the bullshit box claims or whatever the so called 'science' claims, do not use cling wrap in the microwave. Not unless you want melted plastic part of your meal. I found out the nasty way of what happens to it when you use it for too long. This is the result. That's suppose to be broccoli by the way and that liquid stuff is the plastic which says that it's microwave safe.

     
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Overmind One

    Overmind One GateFans Gatemaster Staff Member

    Reputation:
    646,242
    THANKS for posting this tip! This happened to me with cling wrap as well. To cover something in the microwave, just use paper towels and nothing else. Also, better to microwave glass than ceramic. :)
     
  3. yongjin02

    yongjin02 Well Known GateFan

    Reputation:
    345,723
    nah..that was just the plastic having a allergic reaction to broccoli

    :) kidding btw
     
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Joelist

    Joelist I'm showing this for a reason! Staff Member

    Reputation:
    275,538
    I just put a plate upside down over the bowl - works every time.
     
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. heisenberg

    heisenberg Earl Grey Staff Member

    Reputation:
    198,119
    what the fuck? You come up with the strangest things man...You want the microwave to catch fire? Paper towels? Glass and ceramic either one can be used.
     
  6. Overmind One

    Overmind One GateFans Gatemaster Staff Member

    Reputation:
    646,242
    You post even stranger things! Since when can paper catch fire in a microwave??? There are no flames in a microwave, hence "microwave safe" packaging. I am not the one who put cling wrap over a steaming bowl. :anim_59: Plus, why would you be microwaving broccoli COVERED in a bowl?
     
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Lord Ba'al

    Lord Ba'al GateFans Member

    Reputation:
    100,290
    All microwaves do is excite water molecules. They may have certain influences on other things that are not desirable, but those are generally not the things one would eat. For example, you shouldn't try to put nitroglycerine in a microwave. Also avoid metals of course, but (nearly) everyone knows that shit. In any case, I don't see anything like a paper towel catch fire in a microwave unless some additional incendiary device is used.
     
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Overmind One

    Overmind One GateFans Gatemaster Staff Member

    Reputation:
    646,242
    Precisely. And cling wrap, gel products or other materials containing significant amounts of water in the compound should never be put in a microwave oven.
     
  9. heisenberg

    heisenberg Earl Grey Staff Member

    Reputation:
    198,119
    Um, it may excite the molecules but it has all the major components of starting a fire. Fuel, Oxygen and Heat which is what the microwave does. Have you heard of the fire Triangle? Here is gasoline or petrol in action in the microwave.



    I used cling wrap because it is used to microwave vegetables quickly. This is how you are suppose to do it
     
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Overmind One

    Overmind One GateFans Gatemaster Staff Member

    Reputation:
    646,242
    I can easily start a fire in a microwave oven by using a mere 1/4" square piece of aluminum foil and a paper towel. But paper itself (ie paper towels, wads of paper, a towel wrapped sandwich, will never catch fire because microwaves do not heat paper to any point near combustion.

    Why would you think it strange to use paper towels in the microwave without looking it up first?
     
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  11. yongjin02

    yongjin02 Well Known GateFan

    Reputation:
    345,723
    is that just in Aussie microwaves? they must act diff in the southern hemisphere....

    we use just that instead of cling wrap-paper towels, never even a burn mark

    the only thing i have ev er seen with a burn mark in a micro is a popcorn bag and i think that is just because of the butter overheating
     
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Overmind One

    Overmind One GateFans Gatemaster Staff Member

    Reputation:
    646,242
    Fuel, Oxygen and Heat?

    Not really (below is the basic design of any microwave oven).

    basic1.gif

    The microwave oven does not "heat" the food. It irradiates it with microwaves, and that irradiation is released in whatever the object in the oven is in the form of heat. There is also no fuel. Fuel for what? There is oxygen, though.
     
  13. Lord Ba'al

    Lord Ba'al GateFans Member

    Reputation:
    100,290
    He means the paper is the fuel. There is oxygen and there is heat coming from the food. And yes I am aware of the fire triangle. The heat coming from the food will be damp because it stems from the water molecules being excited. And as OM said, I don't think the paper could ever get hot enough to spontaneously catch fire. The paper is dry when it goes in which means it is barely affected at all by the microwaves, little to none water molecules. The only heat it receives is from whatever is surrounding it, meaning the air around it or the things it's touching. Nothing in a microwave will get hot enough to ignite the paper. You would need some kind of open flame for that.
     
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Rac80

    Rac80 The Belle of the Ball

    Reputation:
    208,333
    Lol if you overcook it of course the plastic wrap will melt! Which is why I use paper plates or papertowls!
     
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Lord Ba'al

    Lord Ba'al GateFans Member

    Reputation:
    100,290
    Not that I use the microwave a lot, but when I do I generally just put the food on my plate and I don't cover it. Works fine for me. Sometimes if it's in a specific container I would heat it up in that and maybe keep the lid lying loosely on top of it or not at all.
     
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Overmind One

    Overmind One GateFans Gatemaster Staff Member

    Reputation:
    646,242
    I find that microwaving meat and bread changes the texture and makes it dense and chewy.
     
    • Agree Agree x 1

Share This Page