DISH Dumps AMC Networks...Apparently Forgetting Mad Men, Sons of Anarchy, Walking Dead and Hell On W

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
http://www.zacks.com/stock/news/78151/dish-dumps-amc-networks-channels

Not the brightest lights on the block. Customers will leave DISH if they can't get the shows they want to watch. Some will even go so far as to break current contracts (and pay for the privilege) in order to do so.

AMC currently hosts some of the highest rated (and thus eagerly advertiser supported) shows on television. DISH just fouled their own nest with this one.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
http://www.zacks.com/stock/news/78151/dish-dumps-amc-networks-channels

Not the brightest lights on the block. Customers will leave DISH if they can't get the shows they want to watch. Some will even go so far as to break current contracts (and pay for the privilege) in order to do so.

AMC currently hosts some of the highest rated (and thus eagerly advertiser supported) shows on television. DISH just fouled their own nest with this one.

All of the non-internet-based companies will eventually fall by the wayside (a personal prediction). Like you said, people will leave Dish if they cannot offer much more than say, Netflix or Hulu+ or GoogleTV. Not only satellite providers, but also cable providers are becoming a dying breed. They cannot just raise prices or cut content at the price points they ask. WHY would anybody continue to buy cable or satellite at 60. 70 or as much as $160/month? Most of the cable subscribers have cable because of a phone bundle which comes with internet. As LTE wireless becomes more and more available, the floodgates will be open and the cables can be cut large scale. No need for a land based phone or internet means that cable subscribers wont be that interested in cable.

How many cable channels are offering "must see" programming? How much of that content is ONLY available on cable? Not many. I think that both AMC and Dish messed up on this one. They are two dinosaurs who were in a symbiotic relationship. :)

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Sadly, some internet entertainment providers are forcing people to prove they have a subscription to a cable provider in order to access some shows.

It's all pretty <insert foul word here>

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Yeah I saw this coming with DISH. Usually in the past when they've had contract disputes they've threatened to pull channels but it all seemed to work out in the end. There was some VH1 dispute a couple years back that I recall. At any rate, I figured they were just bluffing with AMC because too many subscribers watch that channel and DISH now has to answer to them.

As it is I'm right in the middle of reconsidering TV viewing options. I'll probably come up with a new set up by Fall. Oddly enough a friend just showed me his "Apple" HD tv setup today and it looked pretty good. I liked the ala carte selection options. I also liked the channels which were commercial free. I know this sounds dumb but we watched the Wall Street Journal channel and I liked that it was straight forward without a ton of junk. Plus there are tons of other channels to choose from and also a Netflix option. It looked interesting so I'm going to think about it all and compare systems and then probably get something new this year.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Yeah I saw this coming with DISH. Usually in the past when they've had contract disputes they've threatened to pull channels but it all seemed to work out in the end. There was some VH1 dispute a couple years back that I recall. At any rate, I figured they were just bluffing with AMC because too many subscribers watch that channel and DISH now has to answer to them.

As it is I'm right in the middle of reconsidering TV viewing options. I'll probably come up with a new set up by Fall. Oddly enough a friend just showed me his "Apple" HD tv setup today and it looked pretty good. I liked the ala carte selection options. I also liked the channels which were commercial free. I know this sounds dumb but we watched the Wall Street Journal channel and I liked that it was straight forward without a ton of junk. Plus there are tons of other channels to choose from and also a Netflix option. It looked interesting so I'm going to think about it all and compare systems and then probably get something new this year.
We watch tv through the net. I don't think we've used the regular cable tv stations in at least a couple months now.

I like it.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

I went 100% cordless/wireless in March of this year. See here:

http://www.gatefans.net/gforums/sho...cut-the-cord-How-liberating!-Now-100-wireless

Here is an article for balance:

http://www.readwriteweb.com/mobile/...the-feasibility-of-a-100-mobile-lifestyle.php

With a very minor set of adjustments and equipment purchases, you can completely replace your landline, have multiple extensions at home (with voicemail and 3-way calling) and internet both wired and wireless. The ONLY caveats are that when the phone rings, your internet is automatically interrupted for the duration of the call and then reactivates. This means using download managers ALWAYS (torrents, pausable download managers, etc). Your router can redistribute the wireless signal through ethernet, or you can do what I did and install wireless adapters in your desktop computers and connect via hotspot. Also, when you are not home, you cannot access your home computer unless you use a second wireless receiver to do it (family plans can take care of this).

This is where cloud apps come in handy. You can use Dropbox to upload important files from your desktop, then download them from another computer or even your phone later.

The end result is that you save 2/3 of what you are spending right now. I am very VERY happy with the setup. :)

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Sadly, some internet entertainment providers are forcing people to prove they have a subscription to a cable provider in order to access some shows.

It's all pretty <insert foul word here>

That's only true of premium content providers such as HBO, Showtime and Cinemax but that's due to the agreements they have with the cable companies to preserve their primary revenue streams. Otherwise, they'd be competing with the cable providers and they'd just end up getting dumped.

I can watch all those online through my Comcast account, which I do from up here ( :) ), and I don't believe they provide direct access from their websites.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
That's only true of premium content providers such as HBO, Showtime and Cinemax but that's due to the agreements they have with the cable companies to preserve their primary revenue streams. Otherwise, they'd be competing with the cable providers and they'd just end up getting dumped.

I can watch all those online through my Comcast account, which I do from up here ( :) ), and I don't believe they provide direct access from their websites.
Oh, it's not just that. Other non-premium networks are requiring proof of a cable television subscription. Fox is one of the weasels in that woodpile, as I recall.

Right now, Fox makes people wait 8 days to see shows after they run the first time, unless they log in with their provider information. http://www.hulu.com/support/article/20362238

Comcast, Fox and Disney are wanting to make this something that would be mandatory, even after eight days.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Oh, it's not just that. Other non-premium networks are requiring proof of a cable television subscription. Fox is one of the weasels in that woodpile, as I recall.

Right now, Fox makes people wait 8 days to see shows after they run the first time, unless they log in with their provider information. http://www.hulu.com/support/article/20362238

Comcast, Fox and Disney are wanting to make this something that would be mandatory, even after eight days.

If you subscribe to Hulu+ then the show is available the next day:

If a current season show from FOX is available on Hulu Plus, this show remains available the next day on the Hulu Plus subscription service. As always, you can try it out here for a free week trial.

Hulu+ is the only way to get Hulu on any device other than a PC/Laptop.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball

I luvs my comcast bundle! :congratulatory: