Dawn of the Planet of the Apes: May 23, 2014

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
It might be a bit early to start, but Im drooling in anticipation of the next Planet of the Apes movie. This article on Screenrant gives a bit of a clue:

http://screenrant.com/no-james-franco-dawn-planet-apes/

Excerpt:

Recently, Franco told MTV News that there were early plans for him to have a small role in the sequel, but things changed after director Rupert Wyatt dropped off the project.

I was going to be a small part of the next one. There was a moment when Rupert Wyatt was going to direct the second one. A lot of the human characters that were in the first movie were dead in the sequel that Rupert was going to direct. But there was one scene, between Caesar and my character, maybe even just like on a video that was left behind, but then a lot of things happened, like [former Fox co-chairman] Tom Rothman who was a big part of the first movie, left. Now Rupert’s not a part of it so I don’t know. My guess is I won’t be in it. Nobody’s talked to me since Rupert left.

It sounds like there is still potential for Franco to come back for the movie, but it depends on whether Reeves and new screenwriter Mark Bomback have a good place for him.

I will gladly take this movie without James Franco. I imagine that they will kill him off with the plague and focus on the apes. From the names of the characters on IMdB, I can see that several other apes will have character roles. Im guessing that Caesar will be able to speak. Names like Cornelia and Rocket are probably ape characters. Just guessing here!

I cant wait. :)

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Why are you drooling over a B&W re-do dude?
I like PotA as much as the next speculative fiction guy, but is PotA "all that and a box of muffins" as well?
IF there was a remake on the cards, I would LOVE to see a Logan's Run remake done well.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Why are you drooling over a B&W re-do dude?
I like PotA as much as the next speculative fiction guy, but is PotA "all that and a box of muffins" as well?
IF there was a remake on the cards, I would LOVE to see a Logan's Run remake done well.

Huh?

Dont tell me you havent seen The Rise of the Planet of the Apes in 2011 :facepalm: THAT, my friend was real science fiction of the best kind. It is the most intelligently written piece of filmwork I have seen in the genre in the past 5 years. MUST SEE. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes is the sequel to that movie, coming out next year. :)

BTW, none of the original PotA movies was ever in black and white. I have them all, including Tim Burton's awful version.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Was not the original in part B&W?
I admit a faulty memory here cause PotA was never my fave series.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Was not the original in part B&W?
I admit a faulty memory here cause PotA was never my fave series.

Oh, heavens no. They were all 5 in full Technicolor and Dolby. They are EXCELLENT science fiction. The real thing. Both the older series and the newest one. But the hiccup was Tim Burton's Planet of the Apes which butchered everything so entirely that it cannot claim ANY connection to the franchise except having its title. The last one was a masterpiece of science fiction, and the only heavily CGI movie I can ever remember where it became a seamless sidenote to the story.

You owe yourself, dude. Do you have Netflix?

EDIT:

Its on Amazon Prime...do you have an Amazon account?

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Oh, heavens no. They were all 5 in full Technicolor and Dolby. They are EXCELLENT science fiction. The real thing. Both the older series and the newest one. But the hiccup was Tim Burton's Planet of the Apes which butchered everything so entirely that it cannot claim ANY connection to the franchise except having its title. The last one was a masterpiece of science fiction, and the only heavily CGI movie I can ever remember where it became a seamless sidenote to the story.

You owe yourself, dude. Do you have Netflix?

EDIT:

Its on Amazon Prime...do you have an Amazon account?

Nah, I could prolly get the whole series for 10 bucks on DVD, so why bother?
PotA just does not "excite" me. I have probably seen all of the PotA movies, but it just does not "do it" for me yeah?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I understand...sorta like me and anime. :P But I have liked a few, including the Rise of the Guardians you recommended. But the latest Planet of the Apes is truly a great STORY, and that story outshines the very convincing motion capture CGI in the film. It is truly seamless in it's execution, and only makes the story easier to tell. The last one was essentially a reboot of the franchise. There were five movies in the original set, and this one starts right from the beginning whereas the first movie in the first set started in the middle of the story (like Star Wars).

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I understand...sorta like me and anime. :P
That's a fair cop, I'll wear that one :P
But I have liked a few, including the Rise of the Guardians you recommended.
ROTG is *not* Anime dude, it's a cartoon movie. :lol:
But the latest Planet of the Apes is truly a great STORY, and that story outshines the very convincing motion capture CGI in the film. It is truly seamless in it's execution, and only makes the story easier to tell.
I have the movie, I just have not watched it yet to be honest, I have so much to catch up on. :(
The last one was essentially a reboot of the franchise. There were five movies in the original set, and this one starts right from the beginning whereas the first movie in the first set started in the middle of the story (like Star Wars).
I actually *like* "in media res", so no drama's here on that one :D

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
That's a fair cop, I'll wear that one :P

ROTG is *not* Anime dude, it's a cartoon movie. :lol:

See? To me, anime = cartoon, cartoon = anime. I know there is a distinction in style, but they are both animated. I also include 3D animated things like Cars and Rattatouille and Toy Story as cartoons, even though they technically aren't. Im not hip to what is what in those genres.

I have the movie, I just have not watched it yet to be honest, I have so much to catch up on. :(

The first movie Rise of the Planet of the Apes actually belongs in the ORIGINAL storyline, placed just before the first Planet of the Apes decades ago. These following movies are going to have to re-tell Planet of the Apes (the original) and move through the series with the story. If done like the originals, we will end up with a causality loop which completes the story.

I actually *like* "in media res", so no drama's here on that one :D

The first set is brilliant. Worth your time. :)

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
See? To me, anime = cartoon, cartoon = anime. I know there is a distinction in style, but they are both animated. I also include 3D animated things like Cars and Rattatouille and Toy Story cartoons, even though they technically arent. Im not hip to what is what in those genres.
Dude, for the love of all that we both enjoy, watch something like Cowboy Bebob. If you still think Anime is the same as a cartoon after that, I'll eat your Enterprise GT.
Mind you, you would have to do it looking at the STORY.
The first movie Rise of the Planet of the Apes actually belongs in the ORIGINAL storyline, placed just before the first Planet of the Apes decades ago. These following movies are going to have to re-tell Planet of the Apes (the original) and move through the series with the story. If done like the originals, we will end up with a causality loop which completes the story.

The first set is brilliant. Worth your time. :)
No argument here bro,I just have not seen it. Believe it or not, I do get "time strapped" sometimes, even though I tend to "be on" a lot here :P

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Dude, for the love of all that we both enjoy, watch something like Cowboy Bebob. If you still think Anime is the same as a cartoon after that, I'll eat your Enterprise GT.
Mind you, you would have to do it looking at the STORY.

No argument here bro,I just have not seen it. Believe it or not, I do get "time strapped" sometimes, even though I tend to "be on" a lot here :P

Ya know, I dont DISLIKE anime, I just have to sit down and choose to watch it. I usually like any of it I decide to watch. As a kid, my favorite cartoons were actually anime like Kimba the White Lion, Speed Racer and Leo the Lion. They were different than Tom and Jerry or Bugs Bunny, and I knew that difference. Later, I liked Johnny Quest and got into the more cartoon action hero thing like Superman, Aquaman, Batman, etc. I will give it a try someday when noodged enough. :)

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
I understand...sorta like me and anime. :P

I HATE Japanimation! I also can't stand that they shoehorned in the word "anime" (which is french for "animated") to glamorize that shitty style of cartooning.
--- merged: May 29, 2013 at 9:26 AM ---
Ya know, I dont DISLIKE anime, I just have to sit down and choose to ...

... torture yourself? I need to be tied to a chair with toothpicks holding my eyelids open to watch Japanimation.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I HATE Japanimation! I also can't stand that they shoehorned in the word "anime" (which is french for "animated") to glamorize that shitty style of cartooning.

I need to be tied to a chair with toothpicks holding my eyelids open to watch Japanimation.

oh-my2.jpg

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

... torture yourself? I need to be tied to a chair with toothpicks holding my eyelids open to watch Japanimation.

I know...as soon as I see those giant eyes and spiky heads and that stupid pink smiling mouth pasted on the characters, I am turned off. But GF showed some pretty gritty anime. Still, its cartoons to me. I dont hate it, Im just not in love with any of it. I don't understand why "monsters" in anime are always non-threatening and totally not scary. But I have enjoyed Neon Genesis Evangelion and the others I mentioned. There is just no reason to watch something like this or similar:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
My problem with most anime is that it's just plain weird and unintelligible. For instance, I watched most of Noein and I still have no idea WTF was going on there. :daniel_new004:

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
I hate how they replace the background with that stupid hyperspace effect that lasts anywhere up to 30 seconds to show that the character is running or moving quickly in anger towards something, even when it's only a foot away. I also hate that stupid sideways mouth on the side of the face to display happiness or astonishment. And I also HATE the shaking face to show anger. I have NEVER seen any living thing's face shake when angered anywhere except in Japanimation.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I hate how they replace the background with that stupid hyperspace effect that lasts anywhere up to 30 seconds to show that the character is running or moving quickly in anger towards something, even when it's only a foot away. I also hate that stupid sideways mouth on the side of the face to display happiness or astonishment. And I also HATE the shaking face to show anger. I have NEVER seen any living thing's face shake when angered anywhere except in Japanimation.

It would be easier if you just listed what you don't hate about Japanimation. :anim_59: