David Hewlett News and Info

Copenhagen

GateFans Noob
Hey thanks for the welcome.

I did not realize that David Hewlett did all this stuff on Twitter, and YouTube.

I must say I've enjoyed these videos.

I'm so gonna miss Rodney McKay. God, that is like the most awesome character I think I've ever seen in SciFi. The original Cast for Star Trek was pretty good too. But Man Stargate Atlantis was just awesome! I can't believe it is no more.

I really wish I could win the Lottery or something and buy out the Stargate Franchise I'd totally Hire David Hewlett to be in the next Stargate.

Stargate: McKay would totally rock! Really he should start up his own series, I hear he is a writer, He should just create a SciFi series, and play the scientist/engineer guy in it.

Those guys really need their head examined for canning SGA. If the ratings were dropping some it's not the actors fault, it's the writers fault, they should have wrote better scripts/story-line's.

I don't care what people say about SGA, of the cast on that show: Sheppard, McKay, Beckett, Ronon, Zelanka were awesome. McKay was probably my favorite though. But, Joe Flanigan, David Hewlett, Jason Momoa worked very well together. Extremely quality entertainment!

Inara

GateFans Noob
Stargate: McKay would totally rock! Really he should start up his own series, I hear he is a writer, He should just create a SciFi series, and play the scientist/engineer guy in it.

He wrote, directed, and produced the film "A Dog's Breakfast" in which you can see his quirky sense of humor on display, as well as a lot of familiar faces from the Stargateverse. Paul McGillion and Kate Hewlett (David's sister in real life and on Atlantis) were featured, plus Christopher Judge and Rachel Luttrell also have roles. A lot of the behind the scenes people and equipment were also familiar to the Stargateverse, and everyone participated during the downtime in filming other shows. Even his dog has a star credit.

Part of the in-joke is Paul's character is an actor who plays a very Kirk-esque sci fi character, who's wooing Rachel's hot alien chick character, in a show called Starcrossed. There were a few scenes of clips from this pretend show filmed on Stargate sets. There was talk for a while it would actually be made into a Sci Fi show about making a sci fi show, then webisodes, then it was dropped, but I think it may be on again. I bet Hewlett would gleefully bring some of his former co-stars back to poke a bit of fun at the genre's behind the scenes drama.

He's also directed one of those cheesy SyFy films they churn out regularly. Not sure when that one will be airing though.

SerenityS

GateFans Member
From Blastr, David has a blog:
http://blastr.com/2011/03/david-hewlett-reveals-his.php#more

Look who's back—Hewlett's back! BlahBlah, Blastr blogging and still insisting on talking about himself in the third person in a feeble attempt to make himself sound more interesting and important.

Just home from Vancouver, the JapaDog-heavy Hewlett has just completed the narration on a new show for SyFy in which he's been trying to sound more like a demented fast-talking version of Vincent Price than Rodney McKay.
In other news, Caesar: Rise of the Apes, which, due to lengthy non-disclosure agreements, Hewlett isn't allowed to tell you he has a role in, will now be released in August. Unfortunately this jeopardizes the hirsute Hewlett's bold plan to stop shaving—in the hopes of sneaking naked into the premiere as one of the apes. In other primate news there's no word on what's happening to Hewlett's evil Bulgarian snow monkey SyFy monsterpiece, other than it's apparently in post-production without him!
And for those longing for the return of Rodney McKay, (get in line behind Hewlett!), David Hewlett can be seen reprising the role of the snarkiest astrophysicist in the universe in the SGU episode titled "Seizure," airing on SyFy April 4th.
Would you return to Stargate if they made a movie?

I always thought that Stargate McKay had a very nice ring to it, don't you agree? I adored my years playing Rodney McKay and I would jump at any chance to reprise the role! Especially since it would provide me with another opportunity to regale Joe Flanigan with lengthy and detailed accounts of the wide variety of foods I'd consumed from the lunch menu.

If you could write/produce/etc. any project, what would you choose?
Choosing! Therein lies my problem!
Right now I'm focusing on a little show I like to call Starcrossed! It's basically a 30 Rock meets Galaxy Quest-style comedy about the behind-the-scenes craziness of shooting a science fiction TV show ... where you can expect to see all sorts of familiar faces making fools of themselves and generally having a wickedly fun time! And which I'm writing, will direct and also appear in. Why choose?

Who is your favorite villain of all time?

That is a tough one! On Stargate, I'd have to go with Todd the Wraith ... what's not to love there?! Outside of Stargate (for those who believe that empty kind of world exists!) there were the classic villians like Darth Vader, "The Master" on Doctor Who and Tron's Master Control Program, but my all-time favorite would have to be Roy Batty (played by Rutger Hauer) in Blade Runner. How can you not love his final words:
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die."
He was such a noble enemy and he looked so damn cool with his '80s bleached hair and his leather trench. It was a movie and a villain that made me love the rain ... and hair coloring!

Tropicana

Council Member
David's latest tweets:
Like a little Stargate Atlantis in your Stargate? SGU, Me and Mckay...next episode! Here's a preview: http://bit.ly/g32ZWl

@twilight2000 My plan is to make the McKay SGU episode wildly popular so they do some more Stargate Atlantisish Stargate! #StargateMckay?
Emm ok, interesting promo.

I like McKay, oh who am I kidding, I love McKay. McKay is already popular, question is will SGU fans like McKay?

Tropicana

Council Member
It's funny with this interview cos you know how households with Nielsen devices count. For some reason I got the impression that only certain households with families own nielsen boxes, while singles don't. I could be wrong of course, but assuming I am correct; wouldn't it make sense to make shows that are family-friendly (as mentioned by DH at the interview) that families would watch, like SG-1/SGA that are light in theme, intelligent and entertaining? Instead of doing a franchise killer with (IMO) pitch black, dark, boring and suicidal theme that only attracts, a small minority i.e. those into dark themes and for those with nielsen boxes - really dysfunctional families?

Love DH's tone in the interview, this upcoming ep is the only SGU ep I would like to see, depending on reviews of course. Hopefully McKay does not disappoint, and I hope that "Starcrossed" gets commissioned one day.

YoshiKart64

Well Known GateFan
I think the biggest detriment they had was that people came from watching 'Atlantis' expecting more of the same from 'SGU,' and it was a really different change of direction. And it's beautifully done ... I think the problem they came up against was that they had a very strong existing fan base for something that was, I think, lighter. You know, I used to call us the "Disney of science fiction." I didn't mean that as a put-down -- what I meant was that we were the kind of science fiction that families sat down and watched together. We had kids and parents and grandparents and the neighbors come by all to watch our show. That's an amazing thing in this day and age. But 'SGU' is definitely an adult show for an adult audience, and it was a much darker show. So obviously the people who want to sit down wither their family, you know, they can't do that with 'SGU.' But that unto itself opens up a whole other audience. It's just unfortunate that they hadn't had a chance to really spread their wings and become their own show. But I think that's the danger when you play with the tone of a franchise like this.

I enjoyed that interview a great deal. He seems so far removed from the the negative aspects of the fandom - I hope Seizure isn't the last we see of Mckay/Hewlett in Stargate.

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
I enjoyed that interview a great deal. He seems so far removed from the the negative aspects of the fandom - I hope Seizure isn't the last we see of Mckay/Hewlett in Stargate.
A bad quote from DH in my opinion. :(
At least he's smart enough to know not to bite the hand that feeds him...

heisenberg

Earl Grey
A bad quote from DH in my opinion. :(
At least he's smart enough to know not to bite the hand that feeds him...

I agree, but, I think he said it to cover his ass more so...You forget he's making a guest appearance in SGU so naturally someone will be inclined to say something positive.However,I am pretty sure he hates SGU in reality.

YoshiKart64

Well Known GateFan
I agree, but, I think he said it to cover his ass more so...You forget he's making a guest appearance in SGU so naturally someone will be inclined to say something positive.However,I am pretty sure he hates SGU in reality.

If he did he could take a far more mid-line approach than calling the show "beautifully done". Shanks was on the show yet said it wasn't his thing.

To be honest it's nice to see someone from Atlantis come out with a positive view of SGU. Makes for a nice read, especially for those not considering universe and Atlantis 'enemy camps'.

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
If he did he could take a far more mid-line approach than calling the show "beautifully done". Shanks was on the show yet said it wasn't his thing.

To be honest it's nice to see someone from Atlantis come out with a positive view of SGU. Makes for a nice read, especially for those not considering universe and Atlantis 'enemy camps'.
I'm afraid I'll have to agree with you on this, Yoshi. He did seem to go out of his way to praise the show. :(

Inara

GateFans Noob

Shanks also wasn't trying to get a sci fi show made, possibly for SyFy. Even though SyFy canceled SGU, there's a good possibility he might be working with some of the same people if Starcrossed gets made. Just sayin'.

Though I think Hewlett is just more of a geek than Shanks and enjoys just about any sci fi show at some level.

stclare

Moderator & Mckay Super Fan
Fairly long interview with David, he talks about SGU, among other things:
http://scifiandtvtalk.typepad.com/s...targate-atlantis-david-hewlett-checks-in.html

erm that sounded to me like DH didnt have that great a time, LDP seemed pretty petty to me if he said the "sandwich" thing as i dont think it was worth calling out DH over it. If DH had said in an interview "wow those new sgu actors realy arent cutting it" then by all means call him on it. but sandwich, which is obviousley tongue in cheek is stupid.

I also got from this that more crossovers had the shop. continued probably wouldnt have worked. Seriousley, can you imagine The Flan dealing with that kind of thing ;)