Craig Engler - VP and Syfy Tweeter Guy

Tropicana

Council Member
I would so love to extend a hand of friendship to Craig Engler.

I like the fact that he keeps it real in regards to SGU, the squeedrones are trying to either tell him he knows nothing or, is trying to get him to say SGU wasn't as bad as it really is, by asking him questions from a certain angle, but Craig just keeps it the way it is --
R E A L.

Gosh, he would be so perfect here; but something tells me Twitter is as far as he will go for social networking.

R

Robbie_Rocket_Pants

Well the lack of intelligent science in SGU is a reflection of its core fans.

Here is an example of a GW poster that gave me a right ol' laugh:

View attachment 3247

This is from the "Are there Ancients on SGU?" thread. Personally I couldn't care less whether there will be Ancients on SGU at this point.

What I find amusing is that this post somehow implies, should one want Ancients, they are merely silly fanbois, and anyone that are comfortable with lack of Ancients are true science-fiction fans. What? Weirdo. He may have a point if SGU wasn't as emo as 90210.

OMG the person in that screenshot is a tool. Okay, the whole "ascended" thing isn't hugely scientific but if the ascended Ancients were a fantasy element, then there wouldn't be even the slightest attempt at a scientific explanation but there was:

- Human beings evolve over millions of years.
- As they evolve, their mental capacity grows (current humans are at 20% brain usage).
- As they evolve they develop abilities (healing, telepathy, telekinesis etc) as parts of their brains controlling those traits develop.
- As they evolve, their mental capacity grows to allow more knowledge (Ancient Repository of Knowledge-sized capacity) but also the brain-usage capacity grows (linked to developed abilities) &
- Once brain capacity reaches 100%, with careful meditation, humans can manipulate their physical forms, discard them & using mind-over-matter, can transform the consiousness into pure energy....... Boom.

Now if the Ascended Ancients were a purely fantasy element, then the only explanation we would get is this:

- The Ancient's became so old & so wise that their souls ascended, simples.

Fantasy is mystery, science fiction is an attempt to solve/explain that mystery.

Okay granted, in an ep of SGA, Replicator Keller was speaking of the reason Replicators haven't been able to ascend & speaks of the reason being that humans have "what you might call a soul" but that was merely speculation on her part "what you might call" so was not her scientific appraisal.

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
OMG the person in that screenshot is a tool. Okay, the whole "ascended" thing isn't hugely scientific but if the ascended Ancients were a fantasy element, then there wouldn't be even the slightest attempt at a scientific explanation but there was:

- Human beings evolve over millions of years.
- As they evolve, their mental capacity grows (current humans are at 20% brain usage).
- As they evolve they develop abilities (healing, telepathy, telekinesis etc) as parts of their brains controlling those traits develop.
- As they evolve, their mental capacity grows to allow more knowledge (Ancient Repository of Knowledge-sized capacity) but also the brain-usage capacity grows (linked to developed abilities) &
- Once brain capacity reaches 100%, with careful meditation, humans can manipulate their physical forms, discard them & using mind-over-matter, can transform the consiousness into pure energy....... Boom.

Now if the Ascended Ancients were a purely fantasy element, then the only explanation we would get is this:

- The Ancient's became so old & so wise that their souls ascended, simples.

Fantasy is mystery, science fiction is an attempt to solve/explain that mystery.

Okay granted, in an ep of SGA, Replicator Keller was speaking of the reason Replicators haven't been able to ascend & speaks of the reason being that humans have "what you might call a soul" but that was merely speculation on her part "what you might call" so was not her scientific appraisal.

May the Force be with you, my sci-fi fan friend! ;)

SerenityS

GateFans Member
Some tweets today from Craig:

Q) @JulezJH when is SGU starting up again, I can't wait A) March 7.

@AnthonySkordi There are 10 more episodes that have not been seen yet.

bhsdrew asked: @Syfy so say #SGU got like HUGE ratings on the rest of the episodes.. any hope of season 3?
@bhsdrew Theoretically a huge, consistent rating for the final 10 might open discussions for some kind of continuation.
@bhsdrew I emphasize "theoretically" and "probably" as I don't want to be misleading or raise false hopes.
@bhsdrew And on the other hand I'd love for it to happen so the conversation could me more than theoretical :)

Q) @LOTROCast does SyFy prefer to develop mini-series or regular series? Is there an advantage one way or the other?
A) Our business is primarily ongoing series for many reasons, but we also do movies and minis. A long-running hit series is ideal :)

Q) @legendofjelda Why do networks cling to region restricted broadcasting, when the internet is dissolving borders?
A) 1) No one has figured out a biz model that works across borders 2) The vast majority of TV distribution is still regional.
A) (continued) 3 Many businesses are regional in some sense, so ads are still bought on a regional basis

Q) @ananonbut all the good ones you kill early on
@ananon I disagree. We don't kill shows, we make them. If there aren't enough viewers to support them, then we can't keep making them.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Delusions!

some tweets today from craig:

q) @julezjh when is sgu starting up again, i can't wait a) march 7.

@anthonyskordi there are 10 more episodes that have not been seen yet.

bhsdrew asked: @syfy so say #sgu got like huge ratings on the rest of the episodes.. Any hope of season 3?
@bhsdrew theoretically a huge, consistent rating for the final 10 might open discussions for some kind of continuation.
@bhsdrew i emphasize "theoretically" and "probably" as i don't want to be misleading or raise false hopes.
@bhsdrew and on the other hand i'd love for it to happen so the conversation could me more than theoretical :)

q) @lotrocast does syfy prefer to develop mini-series or regular series? Is there an advantage one way or the other?
a) our business is primarily ongoing series for many reasons, but we also do movies and minis. A long-running hit series is ideal :)

q) @legendofjelda why do networks cling to region restricted broadcasting, when the internet is dissolving borders?
a) 1) no one has figured out a biz model that works across borders 2) the vast majority of tv distribution is still regional.
a) (continued) 3 many businesses are regional in some sense, so ads are still bought on a regional basis

q) @ananonbut all the good ones you kill early on
@ananon i disagree. We don't kill shows, we make them. If there aren't enough viewers to support them, then we can't keep making them.

d + loo.jpg + shunning-thumb-400x300-2258.jpg

(D + loo + shun) = Delusions.

Why are so many SGU fans in denial and why do some of them retreat into nonsensical fantasies? There are quite a few of them at Gateworld, and evidently they are on Twitter too. Lets see...the sets are set to be struck, the writers are gone to other projects as are the actors, the show was CANCELLED because of low ratings and not because of some unforeseen whim of a showrunner or some bored writers wanting to do something else. Besides Stargate Infinity, Stargate Universe is a TRUE AND GENUINE FAIL. So even dreaming of a season 3 seems silly at this point.

Briangate78

GateFans Noob
People drive me crazy with their claims that the network is killing shows. They don't even have to give a show the chance in the first place. I mean people start screaming at Syfy but don't understand the big picture. Why would Syfy want to purposely kill shows? They'd be out of business in a heartbeat.

YoshiKart64

Well Known GateFan
People drive me crazy with their claims that the network is killing shows. They don't even have to give a show the chance in the first place. I mean people start screaming at Syfy but don't understand the big picture. Why would Syfy want to purposely kill shows? They'd be out of business in a heartbeat.

Fair play to them - they really did give SGU and Caprica a good chance. Particularly the latter they seemed to have to cancel regretfully, the reviews were great and the network loved the show but the audience just wasn't tuning into Syfy. In fact the more I watch of that show the more I appreciate it as a drama, they should have launched that on HBO or Showtime where there was more of an audience for that type of thing.

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
Fair play to them - they really did give SGU and Caprica a good chance. Particularly the latter they seemed to have to cancel regretfully, the reviews were great and the network loved the show but the audience just wasn't tuning into Syfy. In fact the more I watch of that show the more I appreciate it as a drama, they should have launched that on HBO or Showtime where there was more of an audience for that type of thing.
Agreed! My brother is more of a drama fan too, and he enjoyed Caprica. They marketed it to the wrong audience.

Savatage

GateFans Member

I'm amazed at that too because the people who are saying that at GW are the same people who comment in the ratings threads. They know SGU has been on a steady decline in ratings. Was there a great outcry from these people when Flash Gordon was cancelled? "Damn it I want a mini series about the bird people so I can have closure." Do they think the SYFY execs locked themselves in a boardroom and said, "OK, we don't leave this room until we find a way to kill off our flagship shows. We're all about losing money and advertisers, so let's role up our sleeves and brainstorm people. With any luck we'll all be searching the want ads in a week." I don't get it.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I'm amazed at that too because the people who are saying that at GW are the same people who comment in the ratings threads. They know SGU has been on a steady decline in ratings. Was there a great outcry from these people when Flash Gordon was cancelled? "Damn it I want a mini series about the bird people so I can have closure." Do they think the SYFY execs locked themselves in a boardroom and said, "OK, we don't leave this room until we find a way to kill off our flagship shows. We're all about losing money and advertisers, so let's role up our sleeves and brainstorm people. With any luck we'll all be searching the want ads in a week." I don't get it.

The problem is, the fan-goggles are firmly attached and no amount of truth can remove them. I wish SG-1 had not ended and was still going strong, but the reality is, it started to fail in it's cost vs return equations, and once that happens, any show is on it's way out.

I know to some this is heresy of the worst order, but I preferred Cam over O'neill simply because Cam injected what I felt was some much needed new energy into SG-1 and with him the show could have lasted much longer than it did, but unfortunately that was not to be. Not taking anything away from RDA, but after S5-6, I think I could no longer sustain my belief in O'niell still being out in the field. I do think that if S7 had Cam in it and having the "band back togeather" storyline mixed in with the search for Atlantis would have made a much stronger basis for the continuation of SG1 for a longer period, but hey, thats just my thoughts, others think Cam was worst addition to SG1 ever. :P

Savatage

GateFans Member
The problem is, the fan-goggles are firmly attached and no amount of truth can remove them. I wish SG-1 had not ended and was still going strong, but the reality is, it started to fail in it's cost vs return equations, and once that happens, any show is on it's way out.

I know to some this is heresy of the worst order, but I preferred Cam over O'neill simply because Cam injected what I felt was some much needed new energy into SG-1 and with him the show could have lasted much longer than it did, but unfortunately that was not to be. Not taking anything away from RDA, but after S5-6, I think I could no longer sustain my belief in O'niell still being out in the field. I do think that if S7 had Cam in it and having the "band back togeather" storyline mixed in with the search for Atlantis would have made a much stronger basis for the continuation of SG1 for a longer period, but hey, thats just my thoughts, others think Cam was worst addition to SG1 ever. :P

One question for you Gatefan, did you blame SYFY for killing SG1? Somehow I doubt it. I liked 4400 and wished it had been given a nice finish, but I never thought that USA network was killing the show to spite me. Nor did I think a boycott was in order.

I liked Cam and O'neill. Come to think of it, I don't think there was ever a character on SG1 or SGA I didn't like. The last seasons of SG1 did seem a bit like a Farscape reunion, but so what? I liked Farscape too.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
One question for you Gatefan, did you blame SYFY for killing SG1? Somehow I doubt it. I liked 4400 and wished it had been given a nice finish, but I never thought that USA network was killing the show to spite me. Nor did I think a boycott was in order.

Not at all, SG-1 must have hit that cost vs return line (and to be perfectly honest, I feel that it probably got there in S9, but Syfy held onto it for the title of longest running US scifi show) I have spent the majority of my working life in retail management so I well understand where Syfy is coming from. Now, having said that, can I put my fan goggles on and rage against the system, sure I can, but it's not exactly useful or helpful. :P

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
:eek: :eek: :eek:
:psycho:

I think we might have to put GF76 on probation status... :P

Just kidding, I loved Cam as well (though not as much as O'Neill) and agree with you that SG-1 needed a fresh leader out in the field. RDA was wanting to spend more and more time with his kid and less and less on set, which is understandable, and I think it showed on some of the late episodes...

Savatage

GateFans Member
Not at all, SG-1 must have hit that cost vs return line (and to be perfectly honest, I feel that it probably got there in S9, but Syfy held onto it for the title of longest running US scifi show) I have spent the majority of my working life in retail management so I well understand where Syfy is coming from. Now, having said that, can I put my fan goggles on and rage against the system, sure I can, but it's not exactly useful or helpful. :P

You must have a more durable pair of fan goggles than I do. It's never even occured to me to blame the network, I just get bummed that more people didn't share my opinon of the show.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
The last seasons of SG1 did seem a bit like a Farscape reunion, but so what? I liked Farscape too.

Wasn't the biggest fan of Farscape. I didn't hate it, but I didn't bother to watch it much and I never really figured out what was going on in that show. But I really liked the way Browder and Black fit into the final seasons of SG1. I didn't have any problem accepting them and think they added some good energy to the show.