Craig Engler - VP and Syfy Tweeter Guy

stclare

Moderator & Mckay Super Fan
Can anyone, who has a twitter account, ask DavidvanBrakel, what he has asked precisely? That would make it easier to interpret Engler's answer.

It would need to be someone not known on this board, so im out. on checking his twitter he seems like an sgu fan and would probably not answer the question. Its weird though because i cant find what he said to get that response? ill go back and look again maybe ask craig what his anser was in relation too.

SerenityS

GateFans Member
He's tweeting again this morning. So far (Syfy's answers in blue):

Q) @Bridget_Munch do you guys plan on having a 'reunion show' on syfy shows that are now over like Battlestar or either Stargate?
A) Might be something we'd try online, but on air would probably not rate very well. We sometimes do specials about shows that are running

Q) @nikipoole any new branches of stargate in the future? A) That's up to MGM. If there are, I'm sure they'll talk to us about it.

Q) @Gkilgore why was SGU moved from Friday nights for the start of season 2?
A) Combo of overall sched changes & trying to put it on a night where new viewers might find it.
Side Note: Scheduling is a sort of a super complex living puzzle based not only on what we air but what's on other networks. Rarely simple.

Q)@Syfy Were you aware of the competition from other networks in the slot #SGU was moved to? Some say that damaged its ratings.
@Tanith0709 Yes, we always know. We're aware of ratings for all shows across the entire TV landscape and discuss them weekly.

Q)@Syfy you have previously said that what happens on other networks is really not that important
@bvanmacman What happens on other networks is important to varying degrees based on shows, demos, audience overlap, etc.

Q)@Syfy @syfy - re: SGU why would new viewers help if it's already been canceled?
@mrsfoggy No decision had been made at the time it was moved

Q) @scifistorm In your experience, have shows ever really picked up new viewers with a sched change? A) Yes, no & sometimes. Also... ...some schedule moves are done to put a strong show in front of a new show to bolster the chance of success for the new show. Or to take a show that's doing well and try to get it to the next level. E.g., we tried #Battlestar on Sundays to try to kick it up a notch. I was a huge proponent of moving #Battlestar to Sundays, for instance, because more people watch TV on Sundays than Fridays.
Q) @Nolrog Did #Battlestar on Sunday work? A) If I recall correctly it did so-so on Sundays. Neither bad nor great.

Q)@Syfy Some believe that #SGU was moved from Fridays simply because you wanted to air Wrestling (latest big hit) in the slot instead.
@Tanith0709 We could have put it at 10pm Fridays, but when a show isn't doing well on one night, moving to another can help it.

Q) @jclast At what point does a DVR view not matter to you in terms of ratings? A) After 7 days Nielsen does not count them I think.
RT @TedOnTV You are correct - no data collected past 7 days

Q) @professorbeej Is there a set date for #SGU to return to finish Season 2? A) March 7. Soon!

SerenityS

GateFans Member
A few more (general interest I guess):
Q) @stephenrmarsh what are the dis/advantages to having a mid season finale as opposed to just letting an entire season play out
A) Advantages: creatively & promotionally gives you 2 premieres & finales per season, smaller gaps when show is off air, etc. The only real disadvantage is so-called momentum, but if you research hiatuses, you'll find that's not a huge factors. Shows tend... ...to do after a hiatus just what they were doing before. Good shows do well, struggling shows continue to struggle, etc.

@Syfy @gateworldrocky I love reading how Syfy could, maybe, possibly and depends every Q they are asked - for firm answers flip a coin
@thecommonpeople Heh. That's because TV rarely has hard & fast rules and every show is in a unique situation.

Tropicana

Council Member
Was that a lil sarcasm I detect from Craig. God love him, for having to deal with nutcases.

@Tanith0709 Yes, we always know. We're aware of ratings for all shows across the entire TV landscape and discuss them weekly.
Either way, I hope the answers satisfies Tanith0709 and confirms what we at SGUS have been saying, like the move from Fridays to Tuesdays.

Q)@Syfy Some believe that #SGU was moved from Fridays simply because you wanted to air Wrestling (latest big hit) in the slot instead.
@Tanith0709 We could have put it at 10pm Fridays, but when a show isn't doing well on one night, moving to another can help it.
More proof that sgu was doing poorly on Friday, in contrast to the fanboys that think that sgu was doing great until that big meanie syfy moved it to Tuesday.

Tropicana

Council Member
Well, on Fridays, SGU manage to singlehandedly lose 1 million viewers on its own.

On Tuesdays, it only had 1 million +/- 200,000 viewers (the core viewers) left.

Come the last 10, worst case scenario, it could really just scrape the bottom of the barrels.

Tropicana

Council Member
Wow, they are starting to get rude aren't they?

It's not Craig's/Syfy's fault that the shows they broadcast are shit and millions tune out as a result. Blame the writers and producers instead.

Wow, they are starting to get rude aren't they?

It's not Craig's/Syfy's fault that the shows they broadcast are shit and millions tune out as a result. Blame the writers and producers instead.
This is my favorite sarcastic comment from a poster on tvbythenumbers highlighting sgu fanboy absurdities:

"The truth of the SGU situation is this:
If the show is good, people will watch.
People didn’t watch.
Ergo, our show is too smart for people."

Tropicana

Council Member
That thing about the show being too smart for people. SGU isn't that intelligent at all, I sat through many episodes and watched hoping to learn something new about astronomical phenomenons or how the "charge plate" actually works or to be enlightened about the human mentality; and really it's not there. Honestly, I think Big Brother would be less mind-numbing than SGU. With BB, I get to see how being confined forces a group of strangers to act like a bunch of buffoons.

If viewers wanted to study human condition without resorting to documentaries for some unknown reason like Discovery or National Geographic, then really they should be watching Big Brother instead, taking notes and writing research papers on behavioural abnormalities disorder they witnessed on TV.

SGU - intelligent? Really? Plus, the show was supposedly meant to attract younger audiences, you really think they want to learn after going to school or Uni during the day and having to juggle with part-time work? So clearly not an intelligent show to begin with.

I just realised my post above may be interpreted that Syfy deliberately selects crap shows -- I want to clarify that in some cases, show pitchers lied about the premise and Syfy got fooled. They fund a crap show, crap show gets low viewers = low ratings, show gets cancelled.

stclare

Moderator & Mckay Super Fan
egler1.jpg

SerenityS

GateFans Member
This is my favorite sarcastic comment from a poster on tvbythenumbers highlighting sgu fanboy absurdities:

"The truth of the SGU situation is this:
If the show is good, people will watch.
People didn’t watch.
Ergo, our show is too smart for people."

:lol:

Craig must be bored, he's tweeting again:
Q) @Syfy I thought one of the hard rules is that if a show is not getting big ratings then it is dropped fast, no matter the fanbase or initial investment?
@thecommonpeople No hard & fast rules. Big ratings are great of course, but for most show we're looking for good, sustainable ratings.

Tropicana I agree. I don't find sgu all that intelligent or thoughtful or groundbreaking. It doesn't ask the hard questions or look at issues from new angles. The characters don't break out of their stereotypes. The plot isn't complex or novel or risky. sgu still has the easy reset and the main character immunity that so many of the fanboys whined about with sg-1 or atlantis.

Most fanboys will be quick to say that sgu is deep and mature, but when you call them out for examples or point out where it failed (like the stones) they rarely have a response.

Tropicana

Council Member
Well the lack of intelligent science in SGU is a reflection of its core fans.

Here is an example of a GW poster that gave me a right ol' laugh:

ytt6.png

This is from the "Are there Ancients on SGU?" thread. Personally I couldn't care less whether there will be Ancients on SGU at this point.

What I find amusing is that this post somehow implies, should one want Ancients, they are merely silly fanbois, and anyone that are comfortable with lack of Ancients are true science-fiction fans. What? Weirdo. He may have a point if SGU wasn't as emo as 90210.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I only have one question that I would love someone to twitter to Craig:

Was SGU originally pitched as a Stargate series, or did it have to become one to be greenlit?

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
I enjoy how counterintuitive and counterproductive their claim is when they say it is an intelligent show.

johnsheppard

GateFans Noob
For future prosperity I post the recent tweets with links from Craig Engler about Stargate and other topics and some tweets to him. The links are the blue dates and as it seems twitter knows that I am from Germany, the weekdays and months are in German. It is easier to later quote a tweet again with links. ;)

Q) @dambold Are there any plans for new space sci fi series? A) We're working on Battlestar Galactica: Blood & Chrome now and also... Sonntag, 6. Februar 2011 18:27:01 via web

...we have several potential space-based shows in the very early stages of development. Too soon to say more. Sonntag, 6. Februar 2011 18:28:48 via web

On phone with @dhewlett listening to him talk about watching Galaxy Quest with the whole Stargate Atlantis cast. Montag, 7. Februar 2011 23:59:20 via web

@Syfy That must have been hysterical. Galaxy Quest is such a fun film! @dhewlett 1:57 AM Feb 8th via web als Antwort auf Syfy

@wraithfodder Mr. @dhewlett was slacking...he was only amusing, not hysterical this call. I expect better next time. Dienstag, 8. Februar 2011 02:07:36 via web als Antwort auf wraithfodder

Q) @inanedrivel Are there anymore SGU episodes to close the series? A) Yes the last half of season 2 will air later this year. Date TBD. Dienstag, 8. Februar 2011 17:07:14 via web

Q) @StJohnKamloops What is the story on NEW episodes of SGU? A) There are 10 more eps from season 2 that will run later this year. Dienstag, 8. Februar 2011 21:12:00 via web

Q) @JonathanNail death of scripted content? A) No, scripted is alive and well. Both scripted & reality have healthy futures. Dienstag, 8. Februar 2011 21:24:41 via web

For those worrying about the death of scripted TV, the #1 non-sports show was Glee w/a record 27 million viewers following the Superbowl Dienstag, 8. Februar 2011 21:30:25 via web

Q) @Estebomb So we should be worried about the death of good taste? A) Everyone's taste is different. One thing that's true about TV... Dienstag, 8. Februar 2011 21:34:34 via web

...is each viewer thinks the shows they like are in the best tastes, and those they don't are in the worst. EVERYONE thinks that ;) Dienstag, 8. Februar 2011 21:36:25 via web

That's definitely my opinion ;) RT @HannahRBarnett science fiction drama is by far the best though Dienstag, 8. Februar 2011 21:38:24 via web

It's official: The final eps of #Stargate Universe will air Mondays at 10pm starting March 7 Donnerstag, 10. Februar 2011 00:59:06 via web

Q) @sixampfuze why Mondays and why at 10pm? Does syfy hate sgu that much? A) Not at all, that's a great timeslot pairing it w/a hot show Donnerstag, 10. Februar 2011 02:32:56 via web

@Syfy great timeslot if no one were watching Castle or Hawaii Five 0. 5:12 AM Feb 10th via TweetCaster als Antwort auf Syfy

@searchn4sophia Every time slot on TV has hundreds of other shows & channels competing against it. Nature of the medium. Donnerstag, 10. Februar 2011 05:18:35 via web als Antwort auf searchn4sophia

I nominate @Syfy for a Shorty Award in #fail because... you cancelled your only Science Fiction Shows.. for wrestling. http://bit.ly/shorty 7:34 PM Feb 10th via Shorty Awards

@Squireyoung No shows are canceled in favor of other shows. If enough people watch, we can keep them. If not, unfortunately we can't. Donnerstag, 10. Februar 2011 20:32:58 via web als Antwort auf Squireyoung

@syfy if you keep taking the Sci and Fi out of SyFy, you are left with questions.. wh'Y' wh'Y'. Wrestling blows. Bring back SG-U 10:08 PM Feb 10th via Kubuntu Choqok

@rgreening Sci-fi is still alive and well at Syfy. Although some sci-fi shows have not worked, that doesn't mean others won't in the future. Donnerstag, 10. Februar 2011 22:19:26 via web als Antwort auf rgreening

Q) @CyberCowboy would a letter writing campaign like what saved Star Trek work today? A) Very hard to say. Keep in mind that Star Trek... Donnerstag, 10. Februar 2011 23:32:47 via web

...only gained one more season after the letter writing campaign in the '60s, then was canceled did not return to TV for 21 years. Donnerstag, 10. Februar 2011 23:33:53 via web

Q) @GreedyRaven Do u think there is a chance for another Star Trek series? A) No inside info, but I'd have to think Paramount would consider Donnerstag, 10. Februar 2011 23:42:37 via web

Q) @wraithfodder Why is #SGU returning for finale episodes at 10pm on Mondays? Isn't that sort of a death slot? A) Not at all (see next). Donnerstag, 10. Februar 2011 23:46:33 via web

SGU on Mondays will follow our hottest new drama. It's the best slot on our schedule for another drama. On a side note... Donnerstag, 10. Februar 2011 23:47:54 via web

...the term "death slot" is overused on the Internet. It came into being specifically about Friday night, which really wasn't true anyway. Donnerstag, 10. Februar 2011 23:53:16 via web

You recall correctly RT @Winky_Cutto I seem to recall XFiles being very popular in the Friday night so-called 'death slot' Freitag, 11. Februar 2011 00:02:06 via web

. @Syfy Why isn't u haven't given the public a reason why SGU was canceled ? r ratings the real issue here, or is it $ ? I heard bout MGM. 12:32 AM Feb 11th via threadsy

@XIPRELAY Unfortunately SGU did not have enough viewers for us to be able to continue it. Many sampled it but did not come back. Freitag, 11. Februar 2011 01:26:22 via web als Antwort auf XIPRELAY

@Syfy I always thought friday night was a great time for Scifi, its why i was surprised when SGU was moved to a tuesday as there is lots on 1:12 AM Feb 11th via web als Antwort auf Syfy

@paspinall42 Tuesday is where the highest rated shows in our history have aired. Freitag, 11. Februar 2011 01:29:01 via web als Antwort auf paspinall42

@Syfy Hi Craig, If the ratings are high for #SGU season 2.5, will you consider buying more episodes? - How high do the ratings have to be? 1:30 AM Feb 11th via web

@SGUnite Theoretically maybe. Realistically, I don't think it's possible. You'd need prob 2.5-3 times the audience for that to happen. about 24 hours ago via web als Antwort auf SGUnite

Good thing @Syfy canceled #Caprica so they could make more room in the schedule for movies like #IronInvader! #sarcasm 2:07 AM Feb 11th via Twitter for iPhone

@brianmhowell Shows aren't canceled to "make room" for other shows. We'd love Caprica to have done well enough to be able to make more. about 24 hours ago via web als Antwort auf brianmhowell

@Syfy I see. So even if it got a 1.6-1.7, it probably wouldn't be enough? That's a bummer! So season 2 was really risky for SyFy then? vor ungefähr 23 Stunden via web als Antwort auf Syfy

@SGUnite In this case we had pre-committed to 2 seasons of SGU before we started airing it. Pretty unusual in TV these days actually. about 22 hours ago via web als Antwort auf SGUnite

@Syfy After axing 2 shows from franchises with major followings this fall season will SyFy be rethinking its marketing/programming strategy? vor ungefähr 23 Stunden via TweetDeck

@faintsignal I think the franchises are both solid ones. We'll see how Battlestar: Blood & Chrome does. Script is REALLY good :) about 22 hours ago via web als Antwort auf faintsignal

@DavidvanBrakel That's the series Brad & Robert wanted to create. If we chose a different take it would not have been a Stargate show. about 8 hours ago via web

He's tweeting again this morning. So far (Syfy's answers in blue):

Q) @Bridget_Munch do you guys plan on having a 'reunion show' on syfy shows that are now over like Battlestar or either Stargate?
A) Might be something we'd try online, but on air would probably not rate very well. We sometimes do specials about shows that are running

Q) @nikipoole any new branches of stargate in the future? A) That's up to MGM. If there are, I'm sure they'll talk to us about it.

Q) @Gkilgore why was SGU moved from Friday nights for the start of season 2?
A) Combo of overall sched changes & trying to put it on a night where new viewers might find it.
Side Note: Scheduling is a sort of a super complex living puzzle based not only on what we air but what's on other networks. Rarely simple.

Q)@Syfy Were you aware of the competition from other networks in the slot #SGU was moved to? Some say that damaged its ratings.

Q)@Syfy you have previously said that what happens on other networks is really not that important
@bvanmacman What happens on other networks is important to varying degrees based on shows, demos, audience overlap, etc.

Q)@Syfy @syfy - re: SGU why would new viewers help if it's already been canceled?
@mrsfoggy No decision had been made at the time it was moved

Q) @scifistorm In your experience, have shows ever really picked up new viewers with a sched change? A) Yes, no & sometimes. Also... ...some schedule moves are done to put a strong show in front of a new show to bolster the chance of success for the new show. Or to take a show that's doing well and try to get it to the next level. E.g., we tried #Battlestar on Sundays to try to kick it up a notch. I was a huge proponent of moving #Battlestar to Sundays, for instance, because more people watch TV on Sundays than Fridays.
Q) @Nolrog Did #Battlestar on Sunday work? A) If I recall correctly it did so-so on Sundays. Neither bad nor great.

Q) @jclast At what point does a DVR view not matter to you in terms of ratings? A) After 7 days Nielsen does not count them I think.
RT @TedOnTV You are correct - no data collected past 7 days

Q) @professorbeej Is there a set date for #SGU to return to finish Season 2? A) March 7. Soon!
THX for collecting all these tweets.Interesting.
Proves sgu didn't do great on Friday and 2 years contract for sgu seems to be true by now and the only reason of renewal.

ParagonPie

Well Known GateFan
Well the lack of intelligent science in SGU is a reflection of its core fans.

Here is an example of a GW poster that gave me a right ol' laugh:

View attachment 3247

This is from the "Are there Ancients on SGU?" thread. Personally I couldn't care less whether there will be Ancients on SGU at this point.

What I find amusing is that this post somehow implies, should one want Ancients, they are merely silly fanbois, and anyone that are comfortable with lack of Ancients are true science-fiction fans. What? Weirdo. He may have a point if SGU wasn't as emo as 90210.

That person is an idiot. Has he/she/it ever watched SG1? The ancients moved away from this region of space long ago an Asgard once said. So are there ancients on SGU. No, of course not. The fact that they are not allowed to interfere and the fact that they abandoned/gave up the Destiny's mission for the sake of Ascension.:facepalm:

Strange thing here, is that I want to know more about the ancients, when dealing with a race that has existed for millions of years things tend to get hazy, quite frankly I don't care about ascension. I want to know about their structure, philosophies, law, government. And the fact that they are on an ancient vessel, using ancient technology which pre-dates Lantean would be a great opportunity to explore such, fill in the missing gaps, add to the mythology without relying on it and how to resolve certain situations on board the Destiny. I don't want to see ancients, I want to know more about them, there is a difference.

Thanks Tropicana for my daily rage :smiley_squee:

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Schedule

THX for collecting all these tweets.Interesting.
Proves sgu didn't do great on Friday and 2 years contract for sgu seems to be true by now and the only reason of renewal.

They seem to keep going on about which night the god dam show was airing and it would not have made any difference what so ever . The show was garbage and they will never ever think any different . The rest of the viewers on the planet that did not watch it are complete moron's in there eyes .

Was there crack or something handed out to these ******* if they watched it by TPTB:smiley_squee:

Tropicana

Council Member
That person is an idiot. Has he/she/it ever watched SG1? The ancients moved away from this region of space long ago an Asgard once said. So are there ancients on SGU. No, of course not. The fact that they are not allowed to interfere and the fact that they abandoned/gave up the Destiny's mission for the sake of Ascension.:facepalm:

Strange thing here, is that I want to know more about the ancients, when dealing with a race that has existed for millions of years things tend to get hazy, quite frankly I don't care about ascension. I want to know about their structure, philosophies, law, government. And the fact that they are on an ancient vessel, using ancient technology which pre-dates Lantean would be a great opportunity to explore such, fill in the missing gaps, add to the mythology without relying on it and how to resolve certain situations on board the Destiny. I don't want to see ancients, I want to know more about them, there is a difference.

Thanks Tropicana for my daily rage :smiley_squee:
Anytime my darling! ;)