Copycat much? Gateworld is now promoting "Fan Reviews" for episodes

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
http://forum.gateworld.net/threads/76929-FAN-REVIEWS-Awakening-(203)

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, san-serif]GATEWORLD FAN REVIEWS

Calling All Writers! Tell the world what you think of the newest episodes of Stargate Universe! We want you to share your thoughtful and well-reasoned evaluation of episodes. But we do have some guidelines, so please read carefully before submitting your review.

This thread does not function like normal threads at GateWorld! Read this post carefully.

Fan Review threads are not for conversation, even if it is discussing a member's review. For that, please use the official GateWorld episode discussion threads in this folder, or start a new thread. All posts to this thread that are conversational will be immediately deleted.

Fan Review threads are strictly reserved for formal reviews, which are deemed by the moderators to meet the following four guidelines:

• (1) LENGTH. Your review must be a minimum of 400 words and a maximum of 1,000 words.

(2) FORMALITY. Your review should be in a formal prose style (not informal and conversational, as regular forum posts are), following the Introduction - Body - Conclusion form. (The best reviews will include a single, encapsulated statement evaluating the overall episode that is stated in the introduction, defended in the body, and restated in the conclusion.)

(3) EDITORIALIZING. This piece is about your opinion of this specific episode. Do not summarize scenes or plot points, and generally avoid objective analysis of developments in story arcs, characters, etc. Assume that your readers have seen the episode you are discussing. Your review should give your opinion of various aspects of the episode (see below), not simply inform.

Beyond this, your ultimate goal is to challenge readers to think about the episode in a way they may not have when they first saw it. Avoid phrases like "I liked" and "I didn't like." Don't merely state what you thought -- defend it with examples.

Aspects of the episode that you might want to include in your review are (you do not need to cover every item on this list!):
    • Story
      Character use
      Dialogue
      Writing
      Acting
      Directing
      Guest casting
      Music / score
      Visual effects
      Editing
      Costumes & makeup
      Overall production value
      Contribution to story arcs / overall series

(4) FAIRNESS. Very few episodes that you dislike are without a few saving graces, just as very few episodes that you love are completely without flaw. Avoid unqualified gushing on the one hand, or unbalanced negativism on the other. Personal attacks on the show's cast or crew are strictly forbidden.

By posting a reply to this thread, you are submitting a Fan Review for publication here on the forum! (Questions or concerns can be directed to the moderators via Private Message or the "Ask the Moderators" thread; do not post them here.) All reviews that are deemed to sufficiently meet the guidelines above will be approved and published in this thread, regardless of the author or the opinions contained. Reviews will not be edited for content. If your review is not approved within 48 hours, please consider rewriting it (and perhaps having someone beta read it for you) and submitting it again.

By submitting a review, you agree and grant permission for it to remain published here (nonexclusively). You also grant GateWorld nonexclusive rights to edit your review and republish it elsewhere on the site, with your byline intact (as provided in the body of your review, or if none, your GateWorld Forum username at the time of republishing). GateWorld's editors reserve the right to revise these guidelines in the future.

Thanks!

All reviews are the opinion of the author
and not necessarily that of GateWorld.net and its owner.
[/FONT]

:roll:

So, they have given the paranoid insecure moderators over there yet MORE fodder to censor, modify and edit the way they see fit. I cant wait until the first "fan reviewer" complains that his review was altered by moderators and wasnt what he/she wrote. :)

Gateworld needs to do things differently from now on. SGU is going down the drain and anyone with half a functioning brain can see that. I would have to include David and Darren in that category, and they are already starting to advertise using more diverse sponsors. I wonder what it costs to run Gateworld these days?

They can never compete with us because it costs basically nothing for us to function, and we dont NEED any advertising at all. Any advertising we do on here is just going to be gravy for the webmaster. :icon_e_biggrin:

Loheat

GateFans Cadet
Uhh, they've been doing that for a while dude, at least as long as I have been following SGU. Unless your saying they copied our format?

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
"Fan Reviews"?

More like free press releases.

I suspect they'd use them to pepper various sites as a "save the show" tactic.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Whatever.

But a 400 word minimum? That's a fairly standard minimum length for a press release.

The guidelines basically give you a touchy-feely press release.

And "good parts"?

"The end of the show was fantastic! The font was great. San Serif, I think. I didn't know that a show could have so very many crew members! Kudos to them for producing such a craptastic show!"

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The date of the post isnt "a while".

Uhh, they've been doing that for a while dude, at least as long as I have been following SGU. Unless your saying they copied our format?

Yes, they are copying us. The date that thread was started was September 19th, 2010 at 02:49 PM. So, we are talking less than a month ago. Also, the reviews at Gateworld have always been written by the designated reviewers as far as I know. This whole "fan reviews" thing is NEW.And Im sure we insired it, but of course I cant be sure. But, we have borrowed things from them too so its all good.

The most delicious factoid is that we are growing whilst Gateworld is shrinking. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Right on!

When one of our members suggested us doing reviews at the beginning of the year, I didn't know anything about GW's fan reviews when I did the organizing. From what I can see on the thread that Tanith linked to, the formatting of this is very different.

It looks like they have all of these reviews on one thread. Here's what Darren said about it on the link that Tanith provided:

Our Review threads are also the discussion threads, so they are definitely conversational. I designed it where the review is at the top of each recap/review thread as the first post so that it's easy to find. People can read the review supplied by one member of our forum (which is another difference - there's just one member that does the official review for each episode here, not several like what seems to be the case with the fan reviews at GW), and then after reading that review they can then post their comments and discuss. I figured "What's the point of having a review and no discussion about the review and the episode that it covers in the same place?" That's just me, but I respect varying formats. Diversity of thought/structure makes the world go 'round.

Cheers.

P.S.
Since this is about GW and its fan reviews, I'll move this over to TPTB section where GW is discussed.

I thought I was right...I never noticed anything like what we have in the reviews section at Gateworld. Thanks! And yes, its better in this section. You are awesome!