Civilization V: Beyond Earth (Sid Meier)

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
So, got around to spending some of my Christmas cash and picked up Beyond Earth.
Info dump:

This game is really cool, has anyone else given it a look at yet?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
So, got around to spending some of my Christmas cash and picked up Beyond Earth.
Info dump:

This game is really cool, has anyone else given it a look at yet?

I havent, but I sure plan to from your description of it. :)

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
You should try it. It is somewhat easier to get your head around than Civ5, but has more options. The culture tree's are better, the tech is less linier and allows for far greater choice.
It's a bit of fun, and probably better than Birth of the Federation in some ways.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Sorry I have let this thread lie fallow, I have been playing instead :P

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
OK

So after a disgusting amount of gameplay since I bought B.E. A few notes.

1: Civ5 complete is a superior overall -strategy game- at this point.
2: B.E. is far more "organic" in terms of tech and having control over what and why you research technology.
3: B.E. suffers from "turtle strategy" due to the failure of it's AI. If you build "endgame wonders", it is unlikely the AI will try to stop you from doing it, so it can feel like you "win by default" sometimes.
4: Currently, there is not enough synergy between the three main tactical approaches to make branching out into other fields worthwhile. If you pick a path (Supremacy, Purity, Harmony) you are far better served by concentrating on the single path until at least level 12, with sidelines to lvl 2 in the other 2 fields.
5: The minor powers are far too minor at this point. They only occupy 1 hex and only project a "area of control" in terms of stopping you from establishing cities near them, and without the right cultural upgrades, you are better off wiping them out.

I could go on about the fails of the game, but DESPITE all it's fails, it really is a good game. It has a great tech web, it has a great cultural growth system, the tactical approach system works well and nothing feels like it is "wasted" by researching it as they all add up.

If you are not a big Turn Based Game player, B.E. is a great game to get your feet wet, sometimes -because- of it's flaws.
Pick it up if you are interested.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
I suck at strategy games but I rock as a first shooter gamer until I get nausea from all the fast paced movement and have to stop lol . Actually it is kinda painful so I don't play them very often any more . Stupid Tinnitus causes an inner ear imbalance .I know how an astronaut would feel ...
Glad you like those games though . It looks pretty cool !

:) :) :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
OK

So after a disgusting amount of gameplay since I bought B.E. A few notes.

1: Civ5 complete is a superior overall -strategy game- at this point.
2: B.E. is far more "organic" in terms of tech and having control over what and why you research technology.
3: B.E. suffers from "turtle strategy" due to the failure of it's AI. If you build "endgame wonders", it is unlikely the AI will try to stop you from doing it, so it can feel like you "win by default" sometimes.
4: Currently, there is not enough synergy between the three main tactical approaches to make branching out into other fields worthwhile. If you pick a path (Supremacy, Purity, Harmony) you are far better served by concentrating on the single path until at least level 12, with sidelines to lvl 2 in the other 2 fields.
5: The minor powers are far too minor at this point. They only occupy 1 hex and only project a "area of control" in terms of stopping you from establishing cities near them, and without the right cultural upgrades, you are better off wiping them out.

I could go on about the fails of the game, but DESPITE all it's fails, it really is a good game. It has a great tech web, it has a great cultural growth system, the tactical approach system works well and nothing feels like it is "wasted" by researching it as they all add up.

If you are not a big Turn Based Game player, B.E. is a great game to get your feet wet, sometimes -because- of it's flaws.
Pick it up if you are interested.

Okay, I like this game a lot. But I still have to get used to the turn-based gameplay. I am used to real time strategy games like Starcraft, Warcraft, Age of Empires, etc. The real time element forces tension and urgency because if you take too long building neat fortresses and perfectly arranged buildings, the enemy will move forward with building their barracks and armies and your nice perfect cities will be overrun and destroyed. The gameplay and graphics in C.B.E are great, and the gameplay is WAAAAY better than others I have played like Heroes of Might and Magic. I will continue to play this for a while. :)

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I suck at strategy games but I rock as a first shooter gamer until I get nausea from all the fast paced movement and have to stop lol . Actually it is kinda painful so I don't play them very often any more . Stupid Tinnitus causes an inner ear imbalance .I know how an astronaut would feel ...
Glad you like those games though . It looks pretty cool !

:) :) :)
You should try a Turn based game, they are really good for learning strategy games, and you can walk away and come back at any time when you are ready to keep going.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
When did you pick it up dude?

I got only the demo from Steam. Big demo! The graphics are on par with my favorite RTS games. :) The technology trees and way the planets are built up is quite involved. I imagine the full game is way out there with it. Not a bad thing....
--- merged: Jan 28, 2015 at 8:12 PM ---
You should try a Turn based game, they are really good for learning strategy games, and you can walk away and come back at any time when you are ready to keep going.

Ane reason you dont favor real time strategy games?

Last edited by a moderator:

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I got only the demo from Steam. Big demo! The graphics are on par with my favorite RTS games. :) The technology trees and way the planets are built up is quite involved. I imagine the full game is way out there with it. Not a bad thing....
I think steam has play for free this weekend :)

Ane reason you dont favor real time strategy games?
3 children :lol:

I do like RTS, War/starcraft, Dawn of war and DoW2 are cool as well. ATM though, Turn based is currently dominating what I like to play.

ETA: if you get to play it free on the weekend, run it on max settings (which I cannot do as it takes advantage of 4K resolution and I imagine it would look very purdy. I dunno if even trips uber-beast could run it maxed out :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
At one level they sort of are, but are vastly more complex. Crusader Kings II is sort of a strategy game fused with a RPG.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
At one level they sort of are, but are vastly more complex. Crusader Kings II is sort of a strategy game fused with a RPG.
Well........... you would have to be more specific about what you call an RPG for me to compare.
Do you mean a dungeon bash kind of thing like diablo?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Well........... you would have to be more specific about what you call an RPG for me to compare.
Do you mean a dungeon bash kind of thing like diablo?

Diablo USED TO BE a real role playing game, now it seems that they have turned it into a quest driven RPG like Warcraft, and you are locked into the same dungeons, killing the same bosses, etc. At least the dungeon floorplans randomize a bit. But after you have killed Diablo with every character type and maxed out the levels, it looses replay appeal. This Civ game has a lot of replay potential.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Role Playing Games = You portray an individual character over a bunch of adventures, the character develops over time and part of the game is you staying "in character". The better RPG systems reward/punish players for whether they step out of character a lot.