China to build world's largest floating solar power plant in major commitment to renewable power

heisenberg

Earl Grey

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Last edited:

heisenberg

Earl Grey
£113 million? That's all? Talk about efficiency! They can spend only £113 million ($151,058,400.00) and end up with the world's largest floating solar plant, but the US spends over one BILLION and ends up with a single stealth bomber? :smiley-laughing021:

The United States deserves to be shoved off the Cool Kids bench for having it's priorities screwed up so bad.
Well, it's also down to wages too. China can afford to pay their workers small amount of money to get the Job done but I think them turning green maybe a little too late. Their cities will take decades to clear that dirty smog that hovers over their city. It's the same with India. These countries are toxic to live in and the stupid media and tourism makes people want to go there but if I was a tourist, I wouldn't have these two countries in my list. I don't care where you come from, but breathing in this shit can't be healthy. That is unless you are a chain smoker that loves being a chimney.

I mean, look at this...jesus christ. The trouble is, the locals don't seem to give a shit so they continue being assholes themselves.

25india-pollution-3-superJumbo.jpg

25india-pollution-2-superJumbo.jpg

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/08/world/asia/india-pollution-modi.html

Last edited by a moderator:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Well, it's also down to wages too. China can afford to pay their workers small amount of money to get the Job done but I think them turning green maybe a little too late. Their cities will take decades to clear that dirty smog that hovers over their city. It's the same with India. These countries are toxic to live in and the stupid media and tourism makes people want to go there but if I was a tourist, I wouldn't have these two countries in my list. I don't care where you come from, but breathing in this shit can't be healthy. That is unless you are a chain smoker that loves being a chimney.

I mean, look at this...jesus christ. The trouble is, the locals don't seem to give a shit so they continue being assholes themselves.

25india-pollution-3-superJumbo.jpg

25india-pollution-2-superJumbo.jpg

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/08/world/asia/india-pollution-modi.html

Believe it or not, Los Angeles used to be almost that bad in 1970. I remember it distinctly, because when it was bad enough (about half of the year), schools and hospitals closed and people were encouraged to stay indoors. I remember seeing lawns die because of acid rain, and seeing how house paint looks when exposed to acid rain and smog. Today, nobody believes it was ever like that. :) Catalytic converters, smog tests, and fuel additives were born in California because they were part of the clean air revolution. The Prius and Tesla and economy car revolution are all children of California.

Having said that, China is merely in their 1970s.

LA.jpg

Last edited:

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
£113 million? That's all? Talk about efficiency! They can spend only £113 million ($151,058,400.00) and end up with the world's largest floating solar plant, but the US spends over one BILLION and ends up with a single stealth bomber? :smiley-laughing021:

The United States deserves to be shoved off the Cool Kids bench for having it's priorities screwed up so bad.

A floating 150 MW power plant is pretty small when the typical coal plant has a capacity of 600 MW. And China has plenty of those 600 MW wonders.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Believe it or not, Los Angeles used to be almost that bad in 1970. I remember it distinctly, because when it was bad enough (about half of the year), schools and hospitals closed and people were encouraged to stay indoors. I remember seeing lawns die because of acid rain, and seeing how house paint looks when exposed to acid rain and smog. Today, nobody believes it was ever like that. :) Catalytic converters, smog tests, and fuel additives were born in California because they were part of the clean air revolution. The Prius and Tesla and economy car revolution are all children of California.

View attachment 33733
That is what I mean. It's going to take decades for it to clear.

heisenberg

Earl Grey

View attachment 33733
Checkout Abu Dhabi Masdar. They are way ahead of america or anyone else
I guess this is where all that oil money can build. lol. Time to move here.

Last edited:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
but the US spends over one BILLION and ends up with a single stealth bomber? :smiley-laughing021:

OMG! That is just soooo political.

:shame: :)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Checkout Abu Dhabi Masdar. They are way ahead of america or anyone else
I guess this is where all that oil money can build. lol. Time to move here.

Yeah, move on, just hope the women in your life accompanying you are ready to encapsulate themselves from head to toe :)

i watched a diff documentary on this. seems the first buildings they built were the university and a mosque :(

why does the "city of the future" need a mosque? sad

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yeah, move on, just hope the women in your life accompanying you are ready to encapsulate themselves from head to toe :)

i watched a diff documentary on this. seems the first buildings they built were the university and a mosque :(

You win the internet. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Any and all of those new oil money insta-cities being built in Saudi Arabia and other middle eastern nations are nothing more than very pricey amusement parks. They are the answer to the shrinking oil markets worldwide, and they are one of the only paths to the future for the oil producing nations which will not too long from now become irrelevant. The problem with them is their meshing of religion with government, and the fact that their own population is so socially repressed because of religion. Also, there is slavery in Saudi Arabia, and the whole thing with royalty and such. I would say the majority of people are just not okay with that. But that is those cities....China is the one to watch.

heisenberg

Earl Grey

You know my views on religion and I don't need to broadcast it again. It's silly thing to believe in for a species that is able to send a friggin thing to space but civil liberties allow people to have multiple faiths as long as you are not brainwashing people or pushing a political agenda. To be fair though we are also told to cover up in the western world, otherwise you would be charged with obscenity or creating a scene lol. I agree that the laws there are a bit extreme but we have our extreme laws here too.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I agree that the laws there are a bit extreme but we have our extreme laws here too.

idk, in australia aren't women allowed to be topless on beaches?

is prostitution legal in australia?

yes and yes; that is a far-like solar system crossing- stretch from the laws in muslim nations, even the so called moderate ones

----------------------
i don't have a problem with ppl wanting to freely choose to take part in religion. i dont want to see ppl forced to NOT take part in any religion.

i would rather they didn't and that they used their intelligence to learn why they shouldn't. but i would be a hypocrite to my libertarian beliefs if i said something like 'ban religion' or 'religious people are dumb'

i have absolutely no problem with anyone believing in anything they chose in a non organized and non imposing to others way though

none of that would fly in Abu Dhabi or any muslim nation though

heisenberg

Earl Grey

yes and yes; that is a far-like solar system crossing- stretch from the laws in muslim nations, even the so called moderate ones

----------------------
i don't have a problem with ppl wanting to freely choose to take part in religion. i dont want to see ppl forced to NOT take part in any religion.

i would rather they didn't and that they used their intelligence to learn why they shouldn't. but i would be a hypocrite to my libertarian beliefs if i said something like 'ban religion' or 'religious people are dumb'

i have absolutely no problem with anyone believing in anything they chose in a non organized and non imposing to others way though

I meant things you say in public can result in you getting charged.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

----------------------

I don't want to visit some special zone in a nation where not too far away, people are maimed, stoned, beheaded, or whipped because they do not believe in the state enforced religion. That is the antithesis of freedom. I do not understand why anyone would consider these places cities of the future beyond the architecture and engineering.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I meant things you say in public can result in you getting charged.

Yes, or even "disappeared". I completely agree with you there. People who ignore the negative aspects of western governments are as blind as those living in oppressed nations who think they are living a good life.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Wow, this didn't turn into a political/religious conversation at all.

:Rolleyes:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Is there a way to discuss ANY city in the middle East without discussing religion? It is their government. Everything built there belongs to an Islamic sheikdom. Not our fault.