Chicago Creation Con - SGU Vent Session

SerenityS

GateFans Member
This is on the schedule for tomorrow (Saturday):
1:15 pm Audience Participation: STARGATE UNIVERSE: The Feedback. OK, we’re watching and we’re waiting for your comments: let
it fly in this open discussion!
http://www.creationent.com/cal/sgchi.htm

Saturday is the day that Flanigan/Hewlett/Shanks are appearing. SGU actors are on Sunday.

Anyone from this forum going to attend??

OCgatergal

GateFans Noob
:facepalm:Ooo SGU day!:sgufan:
I can't go to this one, but I can get a hold of the gold ticket's people and ask them for the turn out of both days. I'll be able to go to the one in LA though. I'm going on Sat only though, don't want to waste my money on SGU. Again, I should be able to ask for the turn out of SGU day though.

SerenityS

GateFans Member
:facepalm:Ooo SGU day!:sgufan:
I can't go to this one, but I can get a hold of the gold ticket's people and ask them for the turn out of both days. I'll be able to go to the one in LA though. I'm going on Sat only though, don't want to waste my money on SGU. Again, I should be able to ask for the turn out of SGU day though.

I'd love to know too, I've heard hints that the SGU days are much "lighter" attendance wise and I know that the meet and greets with the SGU actors haven't been nearly as successful as they are with the sG1 and SGA headliners.
But I'd love to know also what people say in this Saturday session, because I'm thinking there will be a lot of SGA fans there who want to blow off steam about SGUck.

stclare

Moderator & Mckay Super Fan
This is on the schedule for tomorrow (Saturday):

http://www.creationent.com/cal/sgchi.htm

Saturday is the day that Flanigan/Hewlett/Shanks are appearing. SGU actors are on Sunday.

Anyone from this forum going to attend??

em why have it on the non sgu day? are they hoping to do damage control on the sunday by answering the questions/comments raised? i dont know the sceptic in me thinks this is just an excuse to make any who have isues they want raised get it of there chest before sgu day and those awkward questions "why is this how so sucky" dont make out to sunday!

i remember on the nable forum there was a member going to this maybe two cant remember there name though. hopefully they will put our point forward.

as a side note, have they done this before with sga/sg1 or is it something for shows in trouble?

SG-Rocks

GateFans Noob
Show Season - Fat Man again

We have our own one this weekend: http://www.fanexpocanada.com/

OMG David Blue added! And they just opened a Victoria Secrets up the street. Maybe he'll be pushing their new moob bras.

Otherwise:

BRUCE BOXLEITNER
DAVID BLUE
WILLIAM SHATNER
ADAM WEST
BURT WARD
JULIE NEWMAR
SUMMER GLAU
MICHELLE FORBES
FELICIA DAY
TAHMOH PENIKETT
DEAN STOCKWELL
JAMES MARSTERS
MICHAEL DORN
DANIEL CUDMORE
SENDHIL RAMAMURTHY
PETER MAYHEW
ERNEST BORGNINE
RYAN ROBBINS

Otherwise not much when you consider so much of the SGoo cast is Canadian. I figure Shatner's here just to shop in Toronto and do local publicity interviews. But then again SGU is dead anyway.

I guess me and US0 dropping SGUsucks.com cards around the show wouldn't have much effect. :D

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
we need to get sgusuck.com t-shirts made to wear to the cons....imagine the traffic increase on the site. ;)

SG-Rocks

GateFans Noob
we need to get sgusuck.com t-shirts made to wear to the cons....imagine the traffic increase on the site. ;)

I would just drop SGU•S business cards all over the place. Not let anyone see me. Just drop one everywhere I walked or sat. I guess that's guerilla marketing. Leave a stack where Davey Blue-balls is due to be seated. :icon_twisted:

OCgatergal

GateFans Noob
Friday does seem to be a half day for most creation cons. It applies to LA. Flanigan and Shanks day for preffered admission is 55. SGU day is 35.:D
As for T-Shirts..
001-8.jpg

SerenityS

GateFans Member
Friday does seem to be a half day for most creation cons. It applies to LA. Flanigan and Shanks day for preffered admission is 55. SGU day is 35.:D
As for T-Shirts..
001-8.jpg

Really love that t-shirt!!! :)
I've read at least two or three tweets saying things like "no love for SGU" from people who went to the con Saturday, noone elaborated further though.

SG-Rocks

GateFans Noob
As for T-Shirts..
001-8.jpg

$35 plus the hotel room. That's why they keep the dreck for Sundays, most people bugger off Saturday night unless they're conned into a package.

SerenityS

GateFans Member
Couple of things about the attendance on Sunday:
airlockalpha: Halfway through the Q&A, the convention turns up the lights ... I have no idea why they do this. Is it to show empty seats? ·
airlockalpha: When I see conventions like this, with seats half-filled, it makes me worry for the state of conventions
twinsofmine: @AirlockAlpha They charge sooo much, people can't afford!!
EnnisDL: @AirlockAlpha Half-filled seats at cons while expos with little programming are crowded to the max is what makes me worry.
wraithfodder: @airlockalpha Reason con has lots of empty seats is Creation charges a LOT. Cheaper overall to do Dragcon, ComicCon & get lots more.
Keplian79: @wraithfodder @airlockalpha actually was a pretty full house yesterday. Draw your own conclusions from that. ·
airlockalpha: @Keplian79 Yeah, my conclusion is that some ppl enjoy the past, and others enjoy the present. I guess less like the present

airlockalpha: Hatred toward SGU is nothing new ... SGA had similar hatred when it premiered, @brianjacobsmith says ·

And from someone's LJ post, "Today was just SGU stuff. I didn't go to any of it, but stuck my head in the auditorium right before the panel to see what kind of attendance they were getting. The room was less than a third full."

OCgatergal

GateFans Noob
First of all Creation doesn't charge a lot! If you're really on a budget you could've gotten in on SGU day for 25 dollars! I recall last year in LA seats filled up to the brim 5 minutes before Flanigan came up.

park8

GateFans Noob
I attended the con.

Friday and Saturday were packed. The photo op and autograph lines were very long! David signed autographs until 11:15 pm on Saturday.

Sunday, the theater was about 1/3 full. I was there with friends, but none of us attended any theater events on Sunday.

The SGU meet and greet had 5 attendees, 3 of whom were teenage boys. The surprise guest was BRIAN'S MOM.

The Creation people actually asked us to attend Sunday's events because they didn't want the theater to look empty, LOL. And they turn the lights up halfway through the guest panels so that people can take better pictures. The lighting is terrible and they've had lots of complaints about it.

If you want to know anything else, just ask.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I attended the con.

Friday and Saturday were packed. The photo op and autograph lines were very long! David signed autographs until 11:15 pm on Saturday.

Sunday, the theater was about 1/3 full. I was there with friends, but none of us attended any theater events on Sunday.

The SGU meet and greet had 5 attendees, 3 of whom were teenage boys. The surprise guest was BRIAN'S MOM.

The Creation people actually asked us to attend Sunday's events because they didn't want the theater to look empty, LOL. And they turn the lights up halfway through the guest panels so that people can take better pictures. The lighting is terrible and they've had lots of complaints about it.

The SGU meet hat 5 attendees? LMAO!!!!!

What is this "meet" and how many should there have been? Also, who was there for metting and greeting from SGU? OMG, that is classic. "3 of whom were teenage boys"

HAAHAHAHAHA! :laughing:

SerenityS

GateFans Member
I attended the con.

Thanks for reporting! (BJS's mom was the surprise guest!? I'm not surprised...)
Anyway, on the schedule for Saturday there was a session listed that said it was for comments about SGU. I was wondering if this actually happened and what people said, if it did.

Was also wondering if David Hewlett talked about his upcoming guest spot on SGU and if Joe F had anything to say about that.

Also, somone transcribed Michael Shanks' talk, here is the part where he talked about SGU:
Q: I was just wondering if you were given the opportunity, would you like to continue to Daniel Jackson character into SGU?

MS: That’s a loaded question, isn’t it? I haven’t even done it with this audience. So who likes SGU? [a few cheers] And who doesn’t like SGU? [many more cheers] With that in mind… With that in mind, I don’t know. It would be a very different…I would love to work with some of the people on SGU. I would love to see how Daniel would function in that environment. I don’t know if the purists would accept the fact that he was in that world, because I think the character would become a little more grey area, as all the characters seem to. So, as an actor I would love to. I don’t know if the character is right for that world. I guess I’ll have to ask Hewlett what his response is when he goes to work with them and stuff like that. So, as an actor I would certainly love to. As the character, I don’t know how he would fit in. So we’ll have to wait and see or we’ll never know.

stclare

Moderator & Mckay Super Fan
Couple of things about the attendance on Sunday:
airlockalpha: Halfway through the Q&A, the convention turns up the lights ... I have no idea why they do this. Is it to show empty seats? ·
airlockalpha: When I see conventions like this, with seats half-filled, it makes me worry for the state of conventions
twinsofmine: @AirlockAlpha They charge sooo much, people can't afford!!
EnnisDL: @AirlockAlpha Half-filled seats at cons while expos with little programming are crowded to the max is what makes me worry.
wraithfodder: @airlockalpha Reason con has lots of empty seats is Creation charges a LOT. Cheaper overall to do Dragcon, ComicCon & get lots more.
Keplian79: @wraithfodder @airlockalpha actually was a pretty full house yesterday. Draw your own conclusions from that. ·
airlockalpha: @Keplian79 Yeah, my conclusion is that some ppl enjoy the past, and others enjoy the present. I guess less like the present

airlockalpha: Hatred toward SGU is nothing new ... SGA had similar hatred when it premiered, @brianjacobsmith says ·

And from someone's LJ post, "Today was just SGU stuff. I didn't go to any of it, but stuck my head in the auditorium right before the panel to see what kind of attendance they were getting. The room was less than a third full."

Oh Airlokalpha back again defending sgpoop!

I attended the con.

So peeps paid there hard earned money to meet Brians Mom??? wtf id demand my money back! this reminds me of stallones mum on big brother :facepalm:

it is plain for all to see where peoples love lies and that is not with sgpoo or its cast.

SerenityS

GateFans Member
And another write up from a fan who attened the con:
And Sunday wasn't nearly as much fun as Saturday (but could anything be??) since it was SGU day and I am not a big SGU fan. I still had a good time with good friends. I took my new friends Sorcha and Ryan shopping (the kids I met in line for Hewlett's photo op, remember?) with my gift certificate that I won at the costume contest. They seemed pretty happy with that.
The SGU people were... well, I don't know. They're pretty and I'm sure they're talented and doing a great job, but VERY few people at the con wanted to see them. In fact, on Saturday, Michael Shanks asked the audience how many people liked Universe and how many didn't and the dislikers were WAAAAY louder than those who like it. It doesn't make a ton of sense for those of us who like SG1 and SGA to like SGU, with the changes in tone and everything. And we're not the casual fans at the con, we're the die hard crazy ass fans. So, the fan and SGU cast interactions were honestly a little awkwardy, a little frosty.

Brian Jacob Smith seems like he handled it the best, gave great answers. Alaina Huffman the worst. I mean, she's a super gorgeous woman, but she seemed the most reserved and defensive. Elyse was a bit in the middle of Brian's affability and gregariousness and Alaina's slightly standoffish behavior.

I really don't want to criticize them. They all did well in, consdiering what they were facing, which is an audience that doeWhat sn't really like their show, but paid for 3 days of a convention and were going to stay the whole time, dammit. There are some people who are openly hostile to SGU... mostly the audience was polite, but polite is a lot different than the passionate excitment of Saturday. It was definitely a let down. Again, totally not the SGU actors fault. I'd blame Creation, I guess. SGU has such a different tone than Atlantis and SG-1, you can't expect a huge cross-over fan base. Also, only 1 season of SGU has aired, so how could their actors possibly have as much to talk about as those from SGA and SG1??
What DID surprise me was that no one seemed to show up for Sunday only. It was ALL people from the first 2 days. So there were no new SGU fans in the audience who showed up at that con. I don't know if that was telling, or what. It was surprising to me. I thought that some of the people who probably only like SGU would've came just to see them on Sunday. But it didn't work out that way.

You want to hear what most of the SGA & SG1 fans' biggest complaint was about SGU? At least the ones that I talked to? It was the amorality of people using the body swapping communication stones to have sex using other people's bodies. That offended and turned off at least 7 people that I spoke to about it. Our whole breakfast table found that ICKY and too dark and weird for our taste. So yeah, that's that.

park8

GateFans Noob
The SGU meet hat 5 attendees? LMAO!!!!!

What is this "meet" and how many should there have been? Also, who was there for metting and greeting from SGU? OMG, that is classic. "3 of whom were teenage boys"

HAAHAHAHAHA! :laughing:

Meet and greets are private meetings with the guests, for 10 people who bid in an auction to win them. Joe's sold for over $1000 each; SGU only sold 5, for $200 each. They get one hour in a room with the guest, but no autographs or photos are allowed.

I think this is the first con that had anyone bid on the SGU meet and greet, lol

park8

GateFans Noob
Thanks for reporting! (BJS's mom was the surprise guest!? I'm not surprised...)
Anyway, on the schedule for Saturday there was a session listed that said it was for comments about SGU. I was wondering if this actually happened and what people said, if it did.

Was also wondering if David Hewlett talked about his upcoming guest spot on SGU and if Joe F had anything to say about that.

Also, somone transcribed Michael Shanks' talk, here is the part where he talked about SGU:

The SGU comment panel did happen, but I was in line for David's photo op, along with almost everyone else, so I have no idea what was said, sorry.

David spoke very briefly about SGU but didn't really tell us anything useful. Joe, as far as I recall, didn't say anything about SGU.