Can I have some WINE? Using Windows apps in Linux Mint is an option.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I absolutely LOVE Linux. I have been using it basically as my primary OS for many years now. I have always made sure I had Windows available in a VM (using KVM, VMware or VirtualBox). I have also always been forced to have a way to boot into Windows natively when gaming because WINE just will not run a lot of them (but it will run many). In my case, there is a graphics program that I am in love with and Linux simply has nothing comparable to it: Macromedia Fireworks 8. Fireworks 8 may be the easiest advanced graphics editor ever made. It has all the bells and whistles of Photoshop, with the easiest user interface. It explains why Adobe bought Fireworks and then basically killed it.

Macromedia-Fireworks_8.png
So, following along with me in Linux has always been WINE. Wine is a "compatibility layer" within Linux which allows Windows applications to run in a sandbox without Windows being installed. For programs, this is usually all that is needed. Games and advanced music and video editing software struggle under WINE. But Fireworks and most Office products (except Outlook) run great under Wine. WINE is NOT an emulator, which means it cannot do lots of Windows stuff. If you need full Windows functionality, then it is best to install Windows in a VM. Here is Fireworks running in my Linux Mint 17.0.2, under the vanilla WINE installed from the repository. Install WINE, then run your executable like you would any Windows program. Again, it is not going to run everything.

Workspace 1_001.png

There is really no reason to stick with Windows. With so many cloud-based apps online, you no longer need much of the software needed in a PC. What you do need should not cost you an arm and a leg, or require a subscription beyond what you pay for internet. :)

Last edited:

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
The driver for my external hard drive does not like Wine and there is not a Linux version of the driver software.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The driver for my external hard drive does not like Wine and there is not a Linux version of the driver software.

Most every external hard drive is plug and play in Linux. What is the model and make of the hard drive? Are you trying to use backup software from the drive?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Yes, but it is not free and it is not open source. You probably should have mentioned that. :)

Good point. That's what I get for tapping stuff out on a phone :D

Yes Crossover is not free. It is however VERY well built and regularly updated and the price to me was reasonable (plus the fact that the purchase helps support the WINE repository was nice too). I have friends who have Macs and Linux machines and to a man they started out on WINE then moved to Crossover.

Another interesting project is Mono:

http://www.mono-project.com/

Mono is basically an Open Source implementation of .NET.

Last edited by a moderator:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
True, but it is also

Good point. That's what I get for tapping stuff out on a phone :D

Yes Crossover is not free. It is however VERY well built and regularly updated and the price to me was reasonable (plus the fact that the purchase helps support the WINE repository was nice too). I have friends who have Macs and Linux machines and to a man they started out on WINE then moved to Crossover.

Another interesting project is Mono:

http://www.mono-project.com/

Mono is basically an Open Source implementation of .NET.

It is excellent, I agree. But I find that many new Linux users are particularly picky about open source stuff. They are clueless, because most 99.9% of them use Google Chrome in Linux (not Chromium, but Google Chrome), which is closed source. :) Same with using proprietary video drivers in the repositories. My Windows issues are solved by using VMware and Unity. That way I have actual Windows plus the apps open on my Linux desktop and I can interact with them.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
My Passport.

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/external/portable/

WD SmartWare Pro

No, just trying to unlock it, so I can read from and write to it.

Is your Passport password protected when it is in Windows? If so, your model has hardware encryption and will only work in Windows. Depending on the model, your WD Smartware Pro software is part of the firmware and thus cannot be removed. :( (which is the solution to get it to work in Mint). Do you have another machine with Windows where you are able to open it? You can easily create a share which will allow you to read and write to the drive over your wired or wireless home network using Samba (in the repository). You can even do it with a crossover cable.

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
Is your Passport password protected when it is in Windows? If so, your model has hardware encryption and will only work in Windows. Depending on the model, your WD Smartware Pro software is part of the firmware and thus cannot be removed. :( (which is the solution to get it to work in Mint). Do you have another machine with Windows where you are able to open it? You can easily create a share which will allow you to read and write to the drive over your wired or wireless home network using Samba (in the repository). You can even do it with a crossover cable.

Yes, if I really need to read the drive, I can boot up in Windows or use a Windows laptop to read the drive. I just wanted the convenience of using the drive in Linux. They should make the drives Linux compatible.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yes, if I really need to read the drive, I can boot up in Windows or use a Windows laptop to read the drive. I just wanted the convenience of using the drive in Linux. They should make the drives Linux compatible.

You can use KVM (in the respository) or the VMware Player which is free, to install Windows XP (yes, XP). Install Windows in KVM or VMware Player, and you will be able to read and write from it from Mint after unlocking it in Windows in the player or KVM.

Look in the root of your Passport and see if there is a folder where the software lives. Most non-branded external hard drives behave like a normal USB external drive and you do not have this problem.

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
I think that I will just buy another external hard drive. I do not need the stuff on the external hard drive at the moment, and I can always boot in Windows to get to it.