Bryan Singer's "Star Trek Federation"

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede

heisenberg

Earl Grey
I don't know why tv networks don't have faith in star trek series anymore? It's a shame really that there isn't a new star trek series on air these days.

As for this concept, it isn't bad. I wouldn't mind watching it...

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
I think we have to be thankful that Star Trek didn't get a TV reboot before or during the time of JJ's ST:2009.
After ST:Ent, TV producers were riding on the soap-fi wave that gave us the later seasons of nBSG, as well as Caprica and SGU. Imagine if ST had fallen into that trap as well... could have really endangered the whole franchise! Sure, Federation sounds good, but so did BW's descriptions of SGU before the show aired, and we saw how that turned out.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Oh wow....this Similar Threads feature is really a plus. :) I was reading the thread about Bryan Fuller being the new showrunner for the Trek TV series coming to CBS in 2017 and this showed up in there. This one is about Bryan Singer though. :) The first link in the OP reveals his idea from in 2011 and sounds interesting!:

Here are some key changes in the Star Trek universe six centuries after Picard.

• Earth’s Humans have become "fat and happy" but this has led to complacency where humans are "giving up exploration for incremental colonization and focusing more on the rightness of their own cultural view over all others"
  • Many younger members of the UFP have left, eschewing this "human-centric" Federation
  • Vulcans have been disengaging from the Federation and have reunified with the Romulans, spending most of the last 3 centuries focused on creating a new "joined society" overseen by two "quasi-religious clerics who rule according to logic and what is best for their unified peoples, combining Romulan Machiavellian politics with Vulcan logic.
  • Bajorans have withdrawn from the Federation to become insular in order to focus on their religion and communing with the Prophets. Bajor is now "like a planet sized Tibet", handing over all temporal concerns to the Ferengi
  • The Klingons have undergone a "massive reformation" moving away from their Viking-like brawling to become a "civilization of warrior mystics" akin to the Tang Dynasty), now flying "sleek" and "serene" ships and while they maintain diplomacy with the Federation they have returned to expanding the Empire via conquest
  • The Cardassians have transformed into a "society of artists and philosophers" who now "walk the path" and are now dedicated to a philosophy with "the view of the galaxy as a place created solely to test the faithful."
  • The Ferengi are no longer a "joke" but have become "quite powerful". Equality for females (including a female Nagus) is "the only concession they have made to progress" and with "the Greater Federation’s cashless society as a restriction, the Ferengi Alliance is now able to shine in its full capitalist glory." The Ferengi are also making big bucks marketing the Bajoran religion around the galaxy, including pilgrimages to the Bajoran Wormhole.
  • Starfleet has been reduced to a "mere peace-keeping force" protecting fringe worlds from aliens and from fighting each other, with starships are old and spread out too thin

I am hoping that Bryan has moved away from this somewhat dark and dystopian future for Star Trek, but it still sounds interesting. I am feeling a bit more encouraged that Fuller has been selected because his mindset seems fully anchored in the prime universe and not the unrelated crapiverse that JJ Abrams created for his movies. Putting it back in the prime universe allows for changes to happen easily. Still, it looks like Bryan Fuller got the pick so this won't be the Trek we will be getting.

So...will it be episodic or serialized or a combination of both styles? There is some new stuff in the 2016 thread.

Last edited: