heisenberg

Earl Grey

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I posted this a few days ago in the Star Dreck thread.

Why would bringing in a showrunner with extensive Classic Trek creds be a fail? The cbs article title is highly misleading as the article itself is highly uninformative. This is more informative on Fuller:

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Bryan_Fuller

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I posted this a few days ago in the Star Dreck thread.

Why would bringing in a showrunner with extensive Classic Trek creds be a fail? The cbs article title is highly misleading as the article itself is highly uninformative. This is more informative on Fuller:

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Bryan_Fuller

You do make a point. But like we have seen in so many other things in so many other products in every category, pasting a well known name to something does not make the whole thing good. Let's face it...Leonard Nimoy in NuTrek was gratuitous and not essential. Shatner should be glad he has not been seen in that universe. But they should absolutely give him a cameo or two in the series if they want some cred.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
A showrunner is a different proposition than an actor though. Depending on how they define showrunner he is either co-equal in authority to Kurtzman or Kurtzman's boss. Usually the showrunner is the person in charge of the show.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
A showrunner is a different proposition than an actor though. Depending on how they define showrunner he is either co-equal in authority to Kurtzman or Kurtzman's boss. Usually the showrunner is the person in charge of the show.

There is no way CBS is clueless on what is needed for this show to be a success. I was searching on the internet for at least an hour reading the articles talking about it and everyone says the same thing: Nobody wants the NuTrek JJverse to be where it happens.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
There is no way CBS is clueless on what is needed for this show to be a success. I was searching on the internet for at least an hour reading the articles talking about it and everyone says the same thing: Nobody wants the NuTrek JJverse to be where it happens.

Sadly I think that's where it's going to happen though. :moody:

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
Well finally some (potentially) good news about the direction of Star Trek. I enjoyed Pushing Daisies and Hannibal, although the latter show got a bit too self-indulgent in season 3, as well as the pilot for Mockingbird Lane. Fuller certainly knows how to write a good story and how to improve on something mediocre, as his stint on Heroes proved. The show was great during its first season, completely lost direction starting with season 2, rose somewhat in quality when Fuller briefly returned in the back half of season 3, and then repeatedly started bashing its figurative head against a wall once he left again. And most importantly, Fuller is a fan of the real Star Trek and has actually written for DS9 and VOY so he's not just a NuTrek shill.

The only downside is that he seems to have great knack for getting all his shows cancelled at some point.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Well finally some (potentially) good news about the direction of Star Trek. I enjoyed Pushing Daisies and Hannibal, although the latter show got a bit too self-indulgent in season 3, as well as the pilot for Mockingbird Lane. Fuller certainly knows how to write a good story and how to improve on something mediocre, as his stint on Heroes proved. The show was great during its first season, completely lost direction starting with season 2, rose somewhat in quality when Fuller briefly returned in the back half of season 3, and then repeatedly started bashing its figurative head against a wall once he left again. And most importantly, Fuller is a fan of the real Star Trek and has actually written for DS9 and VOY so he's not just a NuTrek shill.

The only downside is that he seems to have great knack for getting all his shows cancelled at some point.

This is great. I'm encouraged by this guy's involvement, but I still have issues with *where* and *when* this show is supposed to be happening. I do not want a future timeframe within the JJverse where there is still no Vulcan and where Vulcans are emotional and horny and the Vulcan males have human girlfriends and the females are like T'Pol. I don't want Blingons or Kahn blood or transwarp beaming or mechanical phasers. Because of the last two NuTrek movies and the dumb trailer for the next one, I simply do not trust Trek yet.

Last edited:

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
I'll let you all tell me what you think before I (waste) spend time on it! ;)

heisenberg

Earl Grey
I just saw that CBS has made it available for people from around the world and just not the people in the US, so I might give this ago.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I just saw that CBS has made it available for people from around the world and just not the people in the US, so I might give this ago.

Im gonna definitely see it, but I am not paying for it first.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

I am now looking forward to seeing it, and I hope for the best. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
bryan-fuller-2.jpg

Okay, I am doing my homework here and and it looks like this Bryan Fuller thing gets muddy when you realize there is a Bryan Singer who was also given the eye for the new series. Bryan Fuller has given us great Trek already in Voyager and DS9 .More than a dozen good episodes in all. He knows Star Trek. I like what I see on his IMdB page too:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0298188/

Selection_001.png

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Whether or or not they do this in the new JJ Verse is really a make it or break it decision, whether CBS realizes it or not. :daniel_new004: We have had no genuine Star Trek since 2009 and JJ. I think that this new Star Trek Beyond film is going to blow gas. If the new series is based in that new JJverse, it is doomed from the start. Paramount is not going to get the message until the next movie shows it is less successful than the last one, which is already less successful than the first.

Last edited:

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Fuller and Ron Moore should do it.

Whether or or not they do this in the new JJ Verse is really a make it or break it decision, whether CBS realizes it or not. :daniel_new004: We have had no genuine Star Trek since 2009 and JJ. I think that this new Star Trek Beyond film is going to blow gas. If the new series is based in that new JJverse, it is doomed from the start. Paramount is not going to get the message until the next movie shows it is less successful than the last one, which is already less successful than the first.
Rumour about casting...

RUMOR: STAR TREK Veteran Tony Todd on Casting “Short List” for 2017 CBS All Access Series?

Tony Todd: "CBS is doing their own series again... I'm on a very short [casting] list."

David Ward: "Oh, so you're actually on the list for the series?"

Todd: "Yeah. I'm on the list for a couple [of shows]."

Ward: "Well, if you're in the series, I'll give it a chance - because there is not a lot of mention about [the prime or alternate timeline]."

Todd: "It’s a year away. They’re not even going to get official cast until, probably, the fourth quarter of the year. And my only concern about it is that it’s going to be that [CBS All Access] online thing; I don’t understand that part.

I’ve never done a series regular — I’ve always avoided it because I like playing different characters — but this is one year that we’re looking at some stuff, so I’m sure that we’re going to be popping up and everybody’s going to move on on sometime very soon."

http://trekcore.com/blog/2016/02/st...ng-short-list-for-2017-cbs-all-access-series/

podcast - he mentions his opinion on the online platform. In a nutshell he doesn't like it :)
http://mortis.buzzsprout.com/42360/354909-mortis-bonus-minisode

Last edited:

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Fuller and Ron Moore should do it.

Not to be negative, but whenever I hear someone mention 'innovative and different', I always like to approach with caution. Though, Nicholas Meyer did write The Wrath of Khan.

Nicholas Meyer Says We’re In Store For A ‘Different’ Star Trek

Nicholas Meyer, who was announced as a writer-producer on the new Star Trek television series, recently shared his thoughts on the upcoming project with Den of Geek. During the interview, the Wrath of Khan director discusses his hopes for the show and the challenges it will need to overcome.

http://www.treknews.net/2016/03/01/nicholas-meyer-different-star-trek/
More here and above.

http://www.denofgeek.us/tv/star-tre...-star-trek-series-is-innovative-and-different