Bright

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
crips , bloods, blacks, mexicans, asians, whites--doesn't matter--all I saw is the despicable state of existence that is inner city living :)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
i watched this

when they were in that seemingly endless chase scene--being chased by that ethnic group, I nearly turned it off

at that point and i still do think it, was this a cop movie trying to be a fantasy one, or just another way to deliver cop trope in a different disguise?

Was the movie trying to be 'TRAINING DAY' or THE SHANNARA CHRONICLES?

and how long did it take to guess that Will Smith's character was going to be a wand wielder? As soon as they talked about ppl getting fried for touching the wand if they were not a special person, I knew he was going to be one with an outside chance the Orc was instead.

on the positive--it was an enjoyable movie, I would not watch it again though. i can completely see how World of Warcraft and Dungeons and Dragon ppl would like it.

-----------------
related--I have always wondered what a movie (or book) using Tolkiens' mythos and set in the present day would look like?

remember (from the book you'd know) that Orcs and Trolls survived after the events of LOTR's. Elves are still present in middle earth (which is europe) as are dwarves. Hobbits are human (as are elves in their origin) and would have progressed and mixed in.

the orcs, multiplying, would have children that looked like normal elves or humans depending on their original species.
(Jackson's depiction of Orcs was overblown, Tolkien's original concept of them were as 'tortured and broken men and elves' not monsters in appearance only in behavior. and Tolkien never said that Elves had pointed ears btw)

they would easily blend in and could be the 'rougher' portions of society

anyhow, the Tolkien estate would probably never allow it....

Okay, I finally sat thru this movie. It was dumb and extremely easy to predict what was going to happen early on. What shocked me was the amount of effort they put into producing such a lame idea. The whole time I was watching I couldn't help but think that some idiot actually got paid a lot of money to write this thing. The FX were good but they became a moot point in relation to how dumb this story was.