Bright

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Smith is really not all that good an actor...or so it seems. He always plays the snarky enforcer with random urban one liners thrown in for comedic effect. His range is flat.

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
If you notice, a LOT of recent attempt at social commentary have fallen flat exactly because they are way too heavy handed and to be honest feel like the medium is preaching at you.

If you notice, a LOT of recent attempt at social commentary have fallen flat exactly because they are way too heavy handed and to be honest feel like the medium is preaching at you.

My personal belief is that writers today (producers, show runners, etc.) are simply not as intelligent as their predecessors. I won't say it's a lack of talent as much as it is a lack of honed talent. A lack of study of the craft of story telling and script writing. But of course there's just plain low-intelligence to factor in also.

You're right that social commentary today is too heavy handed. These writers simply have not learned the importance of nuance and subtext. That's why we're getting so much crappy stuff now.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
This movie was just so badly conceived. The premise was awesome....today's world, but with actual fairies, elves and orcs living amongst us. But within 15 minutes, the allegories of racism and class and the social messages were shoved out there like a big pile of dirty laundry. The Elves are rich, the Orcs are poor and uneducated, the fairies are flying pests, and the cops are absolutely HORRIBLE. There is too much banter, too many urban one-liners, and it was just trying too damned hard to be relevant. I did not like this movie at all.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I don't even know if I want to watch it now. It sounds like a one-joke premise to be honest.

SEE IT. :) At least try...I made it about 1/2 way.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Yeah yeah, the racism card is pretty damn obvious. So obvious in fact that it is increasingly easy to ignore. It's really simple and works like this. "Oh they are obviously trying to work a social agenda with the o so smart displaced races living together, I'll just ignore that from now on." That's it. That's how it works for me. Once you flip the ignore switch, it's kinda a fun movie to watch.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yeah yeah, the racism card is pretty damn obvious. So obvious in fact that it is increasingly easy to ignore. It's really simple and works like this. "Oh they are obviously trying to work a social agenda with the o so smart displaced races living together, I'll just ignore that from now on." That's it. That's how it works for me. Once you flip the ignore switch, it's kinda a fun movie to watch.

I so wish I could hone my skill to do that. :) But I find that I reach moments in the movie where I just want to throw something at the TV.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
I so wish I could hone my skill to do that. :) But I find that I reach moments in the movie where I just want to throw something at the TV.

I guess it comes easy for me as I've had to train myself to "push the ignore button" continuously all throughout my life because of the sheer amount of stupidity and ignorance I tend to be faced with.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I guess it comes easy for me as I've had to train myself to "push the ignore button" continuously all throughout my life because of the sheer amount of stupidity and ignorance I tend to be faced with.

It's just that the portrayals of racism and who the players are (and the victims) is so obtuse. How come there are a dozen gangsters (specifically Crips) randomly hanging out in the ghetto living next to our "protagonist"? They were likely the real thing...and one got a speaking part. And Jakoby was cool while being constantly insulted by all his cop buddies. It was just a turnoff.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Bright is freeking awesome !!! Who said it was crap?
;)

I did. I like the effects, hated the story, the characters (except Jakoby), and the way they laid out the world they live in. But my main gripe is those HORRIBLE cops.

This movie has an agenda, and it's in your face and INACCURATE (in terms of the message and the proposed moral solution). I just tried to watch it again, and this time I lasted less than 15 minutes. There is just so much sly racist shit slipped into the story it is unwatchable to me. And Will Smith's character is an asshole.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Imagine what it might be like with all that stupidity and ignorance AND not being white. It's an entirely different world for people of color (not just black).

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
All I saw were a bunch of fairytale characters in a messed up modern world blowing things up . I thought it was good . Perhaps I am blind or not aware enough of racial tones in movies . When I watch movies as of late I do not see race or political views. I block all that out . I see actors and characters. So maybe that's why I liked it .

;)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
All I saw were a bunch of fairytale characters in a messed up modern world blowing things up . I thought it was good . Perhaps I am blind or not aware enough of racial tones in movies . When I watch movies as of late I do not see race or political views. I block all that out . I see actors and characters. So maybe that's why I liked it .

;)

I totally get that. :) Not only was that whole gang living nextdoor to a cop ridiculous, but they had the head gangster with the speaking part drinking a Bud Light...in a can. Sorry, but black gangsters are known to drink malt liquor in 40oz bottles, and smoke weed. It's one of the few stereotypes that are true. And then I looked in the background, and there are 4 gangster cars parked in the driveway, and nobody else is out on the entire street and there are no other cars. It was absurd. Then, they had Smith being a total asshole, and all of the cops of color were treating Jakoby like minorities are treated and that is just not a likely scenario at all. Plus they were just assholes, not much different than the gangsters shown in the opening scene.

The pluses were the effects. I am not at all a fan of rap music, so that was also annoying. I get why some people like it, but it is definitely not a movie I will finish watching.

Last edited:

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Not only was that whole gang living nextdoor to a cop ridiculous, but they had the head gangster with the speaking part drinking a Bud Light...in a can. Sorry, but black gangsters are known to drink malt liquor in 40oz bottles, and smoke weed. It's one of the few stereotypes that are true. And then I looked in the background, and there are 4 gangster cars parked in the driveway, and nobody else is out on the entire street and there are no other cars. It was absurd.

I didn't notice any gang-like activities. Just seemed like a bunch of peeps having a barbeque to me. That's exactly what I would have thought had Will not mentioned the word gang.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I didn't notice any gang-like activities. Just seemed like a bunch of peeps having a barbeque to me. That's exactly what I would have thought had Will not mentioned the word gang.

Yep, they were not only gangsters, but specifically they were Crips. :(