Brad Wright Interview (11/2010)

stclare

Moderator & Mckay Super Fan

Savatage

GateFans Member
Please explain this to me

in the recent interview BW gave (link in other thread) i noticed this (http://scifiandtvtalk.typepad.com/s...iverses-brad-wright-its-a-wonderful-life.html)

That sounds like he already has had the OK for season 3.

Whatever respect I had for scifi will be gone if they put on a third season of this unimaginative soap opera. Somebody please explain to me how this show is making any money. I mean that, I really want to know how an expensive show with an expensive cast and pitiful ratings and a crap demo gets to go on. I don't claim to have any knowledge of how networks go about deciding whether or not to re-new a series, but I see absolutely nothing that says this show is going to uptick in the ratings. I seem to recall JM saying a few months ago that he wasn't going to worry about ratings until the second season. So if setting records for lowest ratings in franchise history isn't cause to worry, what is? Again, if anybody understands a reason for a third season, I'm all ears.

stclare

Whatever respect I had for scifi will be gone if they put on a third season of this unimaginative soap opera. Somebody please explain to me how this show is making any money. I mean that, I really want to know how an expensive show with an expensive cast and pitiful ratings and a crap demo gets to go on. I don't claim to have any knowledge of how networks go about deciding whether or not to re-new a series, but I see absolutely nothing that says this show is going to uptick in the ratings. I seem to recall JM saying a few months ago that he wasn't going to worry about ratings until the second season. So if setting records for lowest ratings in franchise history isn't cause to worry, what is? Again, if anybody understands a reason for a third season, I'm all ears.

i mean he could be playing with us, but i realy have that feeling thay they have season 3 due to how good sg1 +sga were.

stclare

Great minds think alike. That's what I just said too. ;)

this is a weird time. I wonder wether if its renewed and the numbers continue there downward trend it get's pulled ala Caprica.

Also i noted from the BW interview the sudden shift when talking about sgpoop to the more action/mission is cool aspects rather than the drama. Perhaps they hope to change sgu to the old formula and regain those 500,000 viewers. I dont think this will work because its the characters themselves that are disliked, the same ones in a different situation are still as bad.

as i said in the syfy forum, if i were a caprica fan id be pretty pissed if this show is renewed with such close ratings.

Fizz

GateFans Noob
Ugh, it does sound like he has some kind of renewal agreement. But who knows? If he does it certainly won't be because of this season's ratings or critical acclaim, it will be because of politics and the other shows that he is still arrogantly dismissing. Before I was just laughing as the poor weekly numbers came in, now I'm actively hoping they get sub 1 million tonight, just to drive the point home. That interview shows they haven't learned anything what so ever.

Savatage

GateFans Member
Do network PTB watch the show?

i mean he could be playing with us, but i realy have that feeling thay they have season 3 due to how good sg1 +sga were.

If they give it a third season because SG1 and SGA were awesome, I have to wonder if the network execs have actually seen the show. You don't have to watch much to see how radically different they are and see how this third (turd) version wouldn't appeal to the same people the first two did.

I really hope yo guys are right in saying it's a bluff. If no official decision has been handed down, I can see BW saying that crap about a fourth and fifth season as a way to show confidence in it's being re-newed. Hell, he may be doing just to piss us off and as far as I go, mission accomplished.

Savatage

GateFans Member
this is a weird time. I wonder wether if its renewed and the numbers continue there downward trend it get's pulled ala Caprica.

Also i noted from the BW interview the sudden shift when talking about sgpoop to the more action/mission is cool aspects rather than the drama. Perhaps they hope to change sgu to the old formula and regain those 500,000 viewers. I dont think this will work because its the characters themselves that are disliked, the same ones in a different situation are still as bad.

as i said in the syfy forum, if i were a caprica fan id be pretty pissed if this show is renewed with such close ratings.

I would think that if you are going to change the format back to the old formula, it would make more sense just to start a new show. OK, you could get to syndication faster if you didn't, but so many casual viewers have already written off the show they won't come back. They'd just see SGU on and figure it's the same old crap. (Unless it's called "New and improved SGU" or "SGU - Now under new Management").

alien0

GateFans Noob
i think that the margin of profit has to be really thin by now.
with a .4 demo... no way they can be proud of themselfes.
what we KNOW is, producers and networks DO promote a show
as "to be renewed" when it will be cancelled.
Because tons of watchers will jump off instantly.
They try to save what is left until the end of the season.
These numbers are so BAD, they HAVE to do so to save as much as possible
before it's DONE.

keep in mind, that this is AT LEAST as possible as confidence over a renewal.
:bradcry::robertcooper::mallozzicry:

Savatage

GateFans Member
i think that the margin of profit has to be really thin by now.
with a .4 demo... no way they can be proud of themselfes.
what we KNOW is, producers and networks DO promote a show
as "to be renewed" when it will be cancelled.
Because tons of watchers will jump off instantly.
They try to save what is left until the end of the season.
These numbers are so BAD, they HAVE to do so to save as much as possible
before it's DONE.

keep in mind, that this is AT LEAST as possible as confidence over a renewal.
:bradcry::robertcooper::mallozzicry:

That makes a lot of sense. You're very wise. I actually feel much better after reading this post. I think I'll sleep well now. My thanks.

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
I Still don't see how it changes things. Now because we would see unprocessed Corn and Peas in that Turd, "prettying it up", SGU doesn't stop being a turd. If I didn't invest time, watching a totally Unlikeable cast, what difference does it make with new writers and producers for Season 3? Scott will still be an asshole pursing his lips and nodding, Chloe is still a skank. Eli is still fat nerd who got pity laid just once, Rush will still be a dirty homeless bum, and Wray will still be a canniving bitch.

IMHO it's all bunkum. Someone might have told Squall/briangate that what he's doing could be construed as "Conflict of Interest", not lettling SGU rise or fall by it's own merit, without having a SyFy "rep" putting words in the fans mouths.

I Didn't like the show to start with didn't watch season 1 & 2 live (or even within 6 months of airing), and I have no vested interest in watching it in Season 3. That's not how it works. Doesn't matter how mediocre the writing is, we need to Like the cast first. once that is accomplished, then we can decide which seasons were good or bad. I am an Atlantis Fan (Yeah, I said it). But I didn't like the bullshit 'ships of Ronon and and Doctor (I don't even remember the character name), or McKay and the Doctor. However, I did like the "is it there or is it not" ships of Wier/Sheppard and Teyla/sheppard, as it was not over the top. I liked the sense of adventure, the easy banter, cameraderie, and of course the pew pew. I watch a SciFi show to be entertained in that genre. not to be bored to tears by love stories, petty squables, back stabbings 'n such.. That is definitely not my Father's Stargate, It's my Mother's Soap Opera.
:rotflmao:

Be nice to your mother now US0... :icon_lol:

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Great minds think alike. That's what I just said too. ;)

I think BW is like a small child who puts their hands over their eyes and proclaims "you can't see me!" the guy is wishing soooooooooooooooo hard for sgpoo to be renewed...;)

I Still don't see how it changes things. Now because we would see unprocessed Corn and Peas in that Turd, "prettying it up", SGU doesn't stop being a turd. If I didn't invest time, watching a totally Unlikeable cast, what difference does it make with new writers and producers for Season 3? Scott will still be an asshole pursing his lips and nodding, Chloe is still a skank. Eli is still fat nerd who got pity laid just once, Rush will still be a dirty homeless bum, and Wray will still be a canniving bitch.

IMHO it's all bunkum. Someone might have told Squall/briangate that what he's doing could be construed as "Conflict of Interest", not lettling SGU rise or fall by it's own merit, without having a SyFy "rep" putting words in the fans mouths.

I Didn't like the show to start with didn't watch season 1 & 2 live (or even within 6 months of airing), and I have no vested interest in watching it in Season 3. That's not how it works. Doesn't matter how mediocre the writing is, we need to Like the cast first. once that is accomplished, then we can decide which seasons were good or bad. I am an Atlantis Fan (Yeah, I said it). But I didn't like the bullshit 'ships of Ronon and and Doctor (I don't even remember the character name), or McKay and the Doctor. However, I did like the "is it there or is it not" ships of Wier/Sheppard and Teyla/sheppard, as it was not over the top. I liked the sense of adventure, the easy banter, cameraderie, and of course the pew pew. I watch a SciFi show to be entertained in that genre. not to be bored to tears by love stories, petty squables, back stabbings 'n such.. That is definitely not my Father's Stargate, It's my Mother's Soap Opera.

from everything I have ever read written by you...you seem very intelligent thus it seems your mom must be an intelligent woman...she wouldn't have watched this POS. ;)

johnsheppard

GateFans Noob

johnsheppard

GateFans Noob

Could be. But these guys bluff so much... You never know. It doesn't deserve to get renewed based on its performance.

Yep. I don't see how a more expensive show with a good 500,000 LESS viewers, horrible DVD sales, and that over all performs worse just about any way someone can slice it could be doing even marginally okay as a revenue generator. I still believe that this show has lost the network/studio money if the whole picture is looked at. It has to be the case.

The only reason I've come across for a third season is literally one of charity based on the fact that other incarnations of the franchise have been successful, but not this one. How that makes any sense to a network or advertisers is beyond me. :confused:
Really I don't understand how this series with these low rates absolutely not profitable(poor DVDs sales) could keep alive a successful franchise with a third season. This show remains unpopular and will remain so how theu could regain the lost of 500 000 viewers. The show is more expensive than SGA and According to JM will become more and more expensive each year after each year with such poor return in investment.
In addition if the studio Syfy cut the budget I don't see how they could improve it with less budget excepting the fact it will cost less to produce so it will become more profitable.
I don't want to see a third season to see how this third series could ruin more a profitable successful series.
I really think the only thing to do will be axed it and launch another one with "old standart" with new producers with people who care about the franchsie or Actors who involved in in the past and will want to involve more.

BTW I notice too the Briangate's posts are different of those Squall28' s ones. More pro sgu.

SG-Rocks

GateFans Noob
I can't believe this would be renewed on such low numbers. Maybe if the cost of dumping it worked out punitive or SySy literally had nothing to replace it with.

The show is so bad they really can't do anything more to lower ratings. It's like Ground Hog Day where the same one million TVs are on every week no matter how bad it is. They could bring the Borg back in pink tutus and the same clowns will still be sitting there watching and then going to GW to crow how great it was.

Inara

GateFans Noob
I would think that if you are going to change the format back to the old formula, it would make more sense just to start a new show. OK, you could get to syndication faster if you didn't, but so many casual viewers have already written off the show they won't come back. They'd just see SGU on and figure it's the same old crap. (Unless it's called "New and improved SGU" or "SGU - Now under new Management").

SGU's already in syndication. Season one has been airing on a local channel. Or so my onscreen guide tells me. :icon_e_wink: SGA is also still in syndication, but I haven't seen SG1 locally, though it may be on in the early hours.

They don't seem to be quite as picky about waiting to bank a certain number of episodes before airing in syndication these days. I think it's because there's more stuff available to repeat through syndication, so if one craps out, they just replace it with something else. SGU was guaranteed two seasons (unless literally no one watched) so that was 40 weeks of programming to syndicate going into the deal.

100 used to be the magic number, and I'm sure stations prefer longer running shows so they don't have to keep changing schedules, but it's not as big a deal now. It could be the original network wants earlier syndication because they think it might draw people into watching new episodes and/or buying DVDs.

podbaydoors

GateFans Noob
in the recent interview BW gave (link in other thread) i noticed this (http://scifiandtvtalk.typepad.com/s...iverses-brad-wright-its-a-wonderful-life.html)

That sounds like he already has had the OK for season 3.
Or that RCC is tied up for the next year and can't or won't come back for a third season even if there is one. That's how I read it- "If this shows goes on for a couple of more seasons, Rob might come back". I think BW is implying RCC has something else going on right now and would not be available for a few years.

The topic of the sentence is Rob, after all. Not season 3. :)

Anyway, that's how I feel about it. :daniel_new_anime012

stclare

Or that RCC is tied up for the next year and can't or won't come back for a third season even if there is one. That's how I read it- "If this shows goes on for a couple of more seasons, Rob might come back". I think BW is implying RCC has something else going on right now and would not be available for a few years.

The topic of the sentence is Rob, after all. Not season 3. :)

Anyway, that's how I feel about it. :daniel_new_anime012

Oh good catch i admit i skimmed a lot, as i had no sick bags handy :) that makes me feel better!

podbaydoors

GateFans Noob
Oh good catch i admit i skimmed a lot, as i had no sick bags handy :) that makes me feel better!

I'm glad!
Normally I'm a glass-half-empty kind of gal, but I truly feel that was what he was trying to say. After all, it's highly unlikely RCC would leave SGU without having something else in the works.