Brad Wright in hiding now?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I have sent my Sekhol finder out (crawler) to find anything new from Brad Wright since the cancellation of Stargate Universe and there is NOTHING. Did that experience break him and make him a recluse? Looking at the timeline, it seems apparent that Robert Cooper and the rest of the old Atlantis/SG-1 writers have effectively "fired" Brad by not including him in the Transporter series production (or much of anything else). The sets of all Stargate shows have been dismantled at all three Bridge stages (4, 5 and 6) and there is nothing happening with MGM and Brad. So, what happened?

BRAD-WRIGHT-PORTRAIT.jpg

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
I have sent my Sekhol finder out (crawler) to find anything new from Brad Wright since the cancellation of Stargate Universe and there is NOTHING. Did that experience break him and make him a recluse? Looking at the timeline, it seems apparent that Robert Cooper and the rest of the old Atlantis/SG-1 writers have effectively "fired" Brad by not including him in the Transporter series production (or much of anything else). The sets of all Stargate shows have been dismantled at all three Bridge stages (4, 5 and 6) and there is nothing happening with MGM and Brad. So, what happened?

View attachment 5582

My understanding is that he's checked himself into an obesity clinic after being forced to devour the sets of SGU.

obese-man.jpg

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

For such a successful run with Stargate, he is a very rich man. But was he ever an artist? I think that the others have more of an artistic drive than Brad, who seems to be more money driven. Looks almost to me like Brad was "riding on" the talent around him, taking credit and control. By himself, his career shows nothing. He is most noted for being ASSOCIATED with the talent rather than BEING the talent. Cooper and Mallozzi and Mullie are inspired writers, I dont think they are awesome, but I can at least see the creative spark. What is Brad Wright's individual masterpiece? I dont think I have heard of one, but perhaps I havent looked hard enough?

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear

Tropicana

Council Member
Doubt it's SG related though.

But it's only fair BW start working on something else, money don't grow on trees and all. :)

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
For such a successful run with Stargate, he is a very rich man. But was he ever an artist? I think that the others have more of an artistic drive than Brad, who seems to be more money driven. Looks almost to me like Brad was "riding on" the talent around him, taking credit and control. By himself, his career shows nothing. He is most noted for being ASSOCIATED with the talent rather than BEING the talent. Cooper and Mallozzi and Mullie are inspired writers, I dont think they are awesome, but I can at least see the creative spark. What is Brad Wright's individual masterpiece? I dont think I have heard of one, but perhaps I havent looked hard enough?

There was such a passionate drive to screw up the franchise and get their pet project on the air. That kind of misguided idiocy can only mean he thought himself an artist, no doubt. However, he does deserve credit for being the influential weight behind dumping the successful SGA in favor of a throw in the dark at the dart board.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Work it Tropi, work it!

If ur balls ache too much, I could make them feel better, lol.

I'm not sure how you do it but for me there's no way my mind can go to anything sexual whilst discussing Brad Wright. :puke:

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I'm not sure how you do it but for me there's no way my mind can go to anything sexual whilst discussing Brad Wright. :puke:

Agreed Shaved, it a bit like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5whaRkuipU

YoshiKart64

Well Known GateFan

I'll have to completely disagree here, he wrote some fantastic episodes of Stargate. Plus I'm fairly sure he was the main creative control in the early years of Stargate Atlantis (not to mention building the SG1 foundations) so he's done a lot of good. Lastly I'd point out that his idea of not sticking to a 'formula' and branching out for Universe speaks a lot to his artistic ideals. Regardless of your reception to that new approach it showed a 'spark' as opposed to him making a decision based strictly on the economic factors.

I'm certainly intrigued to see what he does yet; I'd wager he's likely to be working on something that might actually interest us. And considering the lack of sci-fi on TV right now, having someone like him actually creating and pushing for it could be a good thing. I say optimism.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I'll have to completely disagree here, he wrote some fantastic episodes of Stargate. Plus I'm fairly sure he was the main creative control in the early years of Stargate Atlantis (not to mention building the SG1 foundations) so he's done a lot of good. Lastly I'd point out that his idea of not sticking to a 'formula' and branching out for Universe speaks a lot to his artistic ideals. Regardless of your reception to that new approach it showed a 'spark' as opposed to him making a decision based strictly on the economic factors.

I'm certainly intrigued to see what he does yet; I'd wager he's likely to be working on something that might actually interest us. And considering the lack of sci-fi on TV right now, having someone like him actually creating and pushing for it could be a good thing. I say optimism.

Oh my, here we are again, disagreeing. It's been awhile. I've enjoyed the respite. I hope you did too mon petite Yoshi.

Okay, first off I don't disagree with you completely as I think you are right about Brad Wright being creative with SG-1 and SGA. That said, you go off the rails when you try to paint him as some artiste. He didn't show a "spark" of creativity in defiance of economic factors when it came to SGU. He made the decision to go with SGU because to his mind it was what was hot and in vogue, i.e. it was what was selling at that time.

SGU was completely comprised of stolen plot ideas, copied characters and blatantly ripped-off cinematic styles. Please don't expect me to list all the shows that SGU ripped off in terms of story as I don't think there's enough bandwith at this site to list them all. And please don't expect me to rattle off the countless characters that were blatantly stolen from other shows and movies because that would take just as much bandwith. Every character on SGU had come before and yet Brad Wright, your precious artiste, didn't do anything new with those characters. My God, watch the first season of Lost in Space from the 60's and you'll see the original version of "Dr. Rush" in the character of "Dr. Smith".

There was no "spark" of artistic creativity in using these already tried styles and stories and characters, there was simply cynicism on Wright's part. He cynically thought that he could take the economic success of SG-1/SGA and couple it with a style of show that had been successful for others and then sit back and collect the accolades. "Spark" - no, devious cynicism - yes.

In short your argument tries to paint BW as a risk taker and yet when you look at SGU it's obvious he was taking no risks at all. He was cynically using formulas that others had used successfully and he lazily expected those methods to pay off for him economically. Let me repeat that -- Brad Wright fully expected SGU to pay off economically because he was using stolen concepts and characters that had proven successful for others in the industry. If one doesn't believe there is a chance of failure then one isn't taking a risk. BW firmly believed that he could sally forth to success riding on the past success of SG-1 and SGA, coupled with using the successful methods others had used before him. For him it was a guaranteed success. Again, there was no risk involved and most certainly no "spark".

Brad Wright - risk taking artiste, no. Brad Wright - once creative but now exhausted, cynical hack, yes.

S.A.

(Ah, that was fun. I miss the good old days. :D )

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
If ur balls ache too much, I could make them feel better, lol.
:icon_e_surprised:...:smiley-lala:...........:icon_redface: :whip: :D
Oh my, here we are again, disagreeing. It's been awhile. I've enjoyed the respite. I hope you did too mon petite Yoshi.

Okay, first off I don't disagree with you completely as I think you are right about Brad Wright being creative with SG-1 and SGA. That said, you go off the rails when you try to paint him as some artiste. He didn't show a "spark" of creativity in defiance of economic factors when it came to SGU. He made the decision to go with SGU because to his mind it was what was hot and in vogue, i.e. it was what was selling at that time.

SGU was completely comprised of stolen plot ideas, copied characters and blatantly ripped-off cinematic styles. Please don't expect me to list all the shows that SGU ripped off in terms of story as I don't think there's enough bandwith at this site to list them all. And please don't expect me to rattle off the countless characters that were blatantly stolen from other shows and movies because that would take just as much bandwith. Every character on SGU had come before and yet Brad Wright, your precious artiste, didn't do anything new with those characters. My God, watch the first season of Lost in Space from the 60's and you'll see the original version of "Dr. Rush" in the character of "Dr. Smith".

There was no "spark" of artistic creativity in using these already tried styles and stories and characters, there was simply cynicism on Wright's part. He cynically thought that he could take the economic success of SG-1/SGA and couple it with a style of show that had been successful for others and then sit back and collect the accolades. "Spark" - no, devious cynicism - yes.

In short your argument tries to paint BW as a risk taker and yet when you look at SGU it's obvious he was taking no risks at all. He was cynically using formulas that others had used successfully and he lazily expected those methods to pay off for him economically. Let me repeat that -- Brad Wright fully expected SGU to pay off economically because he was using stolen concepts and characters that had proven successful for others in the industry. If one doesn't believe there is a chance of failure then one isn't taking a risk. BW firmly believed that he could sally forth to success riding on the past success of SG-1 and SGA, coupled with using the successful methods others had used before him. For him it was a guaranteed success. Again, there was no risk involved and most certainly no "spark".

Brad Wright - risk taking artiste, no. Brad Wright - once creative but now exhausted, cynical hack, yes.

S.A.

(Ah, that was fun. I miss the good old days. :D )
I don't know man, he did take the risk of abandoning his established fanbase with his new, albeit unoriginal, approach. And they did pay the price for it, didn't help that they reinforced the abandonment with frequent fan-flaming and realized long after the damage had been done that the risk didn't pay off because the vast majority of their audience were going to come from the fans they were flaming.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
:icon_e_surprised:...:smiley-lala:...........:icon_redface: :whip: :D

I don't know man, he did take the risk of abandoning his established fanbase with his new, albeit unoriginal, approach. And they did pay the price for it, didn't help that they reinforced the abandonment with frequent fan-flaming and realized long after the damage had been done that the risk didn't pay off because the vast majority of their audience were going to come from the fans they were flaming.

My point is that Brad Wright absolutely didn't believe he was taking a risk. He might have realized that he had made a mistake when they got around to season 2, but initially he didn't think SGU was risky at all.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
While I may not like the choices Brad Wright has made in the last couple years, I hope his absence doesn't mean something is amiss with him.