Bill Nye the not so science guy!

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
It appears that Bill Nye doesn't know jack about tornados. he claimed in an interview on live tv that not many other countries have tornados, I guess he forgot about the UK and bangledesh. :facepalm:
PEMMARAJU: Other countries with tornadoes?
Nye.png
NYE: Well, there’s not that many other countries that have the configuration of North America to make tornadoes. And the word “hurricane,” you know, is a word coined in the Caribbean, like, so this is a unique, unique area in that regard. We have the Gulf of Mexico. We have this access for cold air from Canada or from the Arctic. And these two things conspire to move the jet stream, and then that helps carry this extra water vapor across this part of the North America. So, it’s a unique place, and you don’t have this kind, you don’t have tornadoes in Norway, for example. It’s just set up different, the weather’s set up differently. Here in the U.S. it’s a serious problem.
Well, not exactly.
Contrary to "The Science Guy's" odd view on this topic, tornadoes have been observed on every continent on this planet with the exception of Antartica. A study of insurance records across the globe finds tornadoes causing significant losses in Europe, India, Japan, South Africa, and Australia.
Although the United States typically has more tornadoes than any other country, as a function of land area, the Netherlands and the United Kingdom both actually have more.
Also contrary to today's conventional wisdom, Bangladesh is the nation with the most tornado-related deaths averaging 179 per year having also experienced the deadliest tornado in history on April 26, 1989, killing approximately 1300. That country has had at least 19 tornadoes that have killed more than 100 people, almost half the total of the rest of the world.
So much for "The Science Guy's" claim "there’s not that many other countries that have the configuration of North America to make tornadoes."

Read more: http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-s...t-many-countries-besides-us-hav#ixzz1NnThdnB5

G

Graybrew1

Darn, i thought he was kinda interesting to watch sometimes. What is he just an actor then? I do remember hearing he made some other type of major faux pas at sometime in the past.

Red Mage

Boney
Darn, i thought he was kinda interesting to watch sometimes. What is he just an actor then? I do remember hearing he made some other type of major faux pas at sometime in the past.

His degree is a bachelors of science in mechanical engineering and his doctorates are all honorary degrees. He is by no means a science expert. He's more of a TV personality than a true scientist.

G

Graybrew1

His degree is a bachelors of science in mechanical engineering and his doctorates are all honorary degrees. He is by no means a science expert. He's more of a TV personality than a true scientist.

That explains a lot then. :rolleyes:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

It explains why he is on TV and not in science, Scientists really dont make that much money unless they lecture or do TV or write publications. ;)

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
It is a shame he did not do his homework . I always liked him too . Very entertaining individual . Quirky and funny at the same time and his show was always very informative and educational for me and my kids . Could this mean that the info on his show could also have been wrong ?

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
It is a shame he did not do his homework . I always liked him too . Very entertaining individual . Quirky and funny at the same time and his show was always very informative and educational for me and my kids . Could this mean that the info on his show could also have been wrong ?

I can verify that some of his chemistry (and physics) info was wrong...snookie used to watch his show- hubby has a PhD in chemistry...oh would he heckle the show! :rolleyes:

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Lucky you!

Ugh. How I wish that I could somehow delete that entire episode from my memory

I used snookie as my canary in the coal mine...she watched it then told me how horrible it was! ;) What a kid to sacrifice so much for her mama! is it any wonder I love her? ;)

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
uh, he wasn't saying that other countries don't have tornadoes. He was more talking about the uniqueness in North America, the region known as Tornado Alley. How the conditions are right for tornadoes in that region, he wasn't saying that other countries don't have tornadoes, just remarking on the unique geographical and climatic conditions that make that specific region in the US more favourable for tornadoes forming. And he was saying that other countries don't have this kind of unique region. That reporter is just an idiot and misinterpreted Bill's words for purposes of drawing viewers.

B

Backstep

Having read the whole article about what Bill was talking about, The uniqueness of "tornado ally" is not found anywhere else in the world.

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
Speaking of tornadoes and Australian cylons (:P), did you guys catch this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IofbJKjY7to

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pr1gGkykgsw

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
^that's so awesome. Back when I was an impressionable young lad, I loved that movie Twister, haha.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Hey Mr A
Australian Cylons look like this dude:

Twiki.jpg

We iz tekanogikly advanced down here :D

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Hey Mr A
Australian Cylons look like this dude:

Twiki.jpg

We iz tekanogikly advanced down here :D

NO! It took a year to get that "beegie beegie beegie" sound out of my mind. :(

:P

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
^that's so awesome. Back when I was an impressionable young lad, I loved that movie Twister, haha.

when Twister came out in the theaters it was the most popular movie in.......

wait for it...........

TORNADO ALLY!!!!! :P stupid morons...I was not a fan of the movie for two reasons...tornados scare me and I wondered how many morons would take themselves out of the gene pool by tornado chasing...not nearly enough I guess! :P