Votes: 8 30.8%
  • Season 4

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Season 5

Votes: 2 7.7%

• Total voters
F

Frumenta

I could see the friendship between Carson and Rodney but it was a mostly offscreen thing and I'm guessing it was due to working together in Antarctica.

Things between Sheppard and Rodney were more complicated but even early on when they were playing around with Rodney's shield it was obvious that they became friends pretty much right away. Also obvious from Rodney's big fit over John and Chaya. And much later in Season 5 John's face over seeing Rodney with Keller, lol. They also spent all that time playing that game together. John loved his entire team but he seemed to hang out with Rodney the most. I'm not saying he wasn't friends with Ronon but with Ronon it felt less like a friendship of equals. Ronon was loyal to John. Teyla and Rodney could and would challenge him and disobey him.

iratecaller

GateFans Noob
You'll have to explain this to me because I only know of 2 episodes about her child in season 5 (S&R where he was born - and that wasn't the main plot of the episode at all, and Prodigal where Michael came for him, but the kid was hardly featured).

Season 4 didn't even have the child in it because he wasn't born yet, so how were there a "bunch" of stories about a child that wasn't there?? And there were hardly any storylines actually dedicated to Teyla. The storyline where she was kidnapped was about MICHAEL, not Teyla. And Missing was terrible because it wasn't about Teyla - Keller hijacked that episode. Believe me, I wish that Missing was about Teyla, but it wasn't. It was about a scared, whiney, doctor that was out of her element, and the fact that she made it through the episode. Somewhere waaaaay in the back, there was something that was supposed to be going on in relation to Teyla and her missing people.

And Teyla had been living on Atlantis for years, so it only makes sense that she learned something. I'm sorry if you expected her to stay stagnant in that way. Daedalus Variations showed (thanks to awesome Alan M. who's now working for Sanctuary ;)) that she got training on how to operate the Daedalus' computer systems so there you go. Plus, she didn't grow up in a cave. She grew up in a settlement on her home world of Athos next to the forbidden/ancient city of her people - which looked to be part Lantean in design.

Furthermore, the "queen of the Wraith" thing was great. Please tell me how that was dumb. She now has control over not only Todd, but an entire Wraith faction, so I'd say that's pretty good.

Again, you'll need to explain this to me because it seems as though you're basing your opinions off of incomplete knowledge at best.

I agree that SGA peaked during season 3 though. There were some good things about seasons 4/5, but there were some not-so-good things too. I'm fine with Teyla having her baby, but I think that the writers needed to plan that out more. Frankly, Torren should have been the child she had with John toward or at the end of a much longer run (7-10 seasons) of the show.

Cheers.

Sorry A4L. Despite there being few episodes with the actual baby, I just didn't enjoy anything related to Teyla. I just completely disliked the character and the forced baby-related story lines. I know we disagree on this stuff. I always wished the Zelenkas (sp?) would have figured more prominently and that Teyla would have either left the show (i was all happy when i thought she might leave) or be sidelined completely (much like Zelenkas was). I just couldn't stand her. Something fake about her. Maybe the acting choices rubbed me the wrong way, I don't know. I have nothing against the actress, i just can't stand Teyla. I watched all of this stuff 2~3 times at least, but maybe i tuned-out subconsiously when Teyla was on the screen. Good catch on her being trained on the Deadelus systems. (I know she didn't live in a cave, I ment that they had very little technology. Bad choice of words.)

Clear as mud, with no substantiation, i know. Sorry A4L.

stclare

Moderator & Mckay Super Fan
No need to be sorry. If she wasn't endearing to you for unknown reasons to you, then that's fine. Like/dislike doesn't always make sense, and neither does it have to. I thought Rachel was great as Teyla, as many others do, but I also know that we can't always like the same things. It's just a matter of taste. I'm glad that she lasted on the show, and I thought she needed much more screen time and some TLC in the writers' room, but that's me.

I liked Zelenka too (especially his bantering with McKay :P), and it would have been nice to see more of him on the show, but I don't think it had to be an either or situation like you seem to be pointing to with Teyla, especially in season 5. There's a whole lot of McKeller that could have been pared down to make additional room for more science/exploration that could have featured Zelenka more.

Anyhoo, I'm happy to agree to disagree about Teyla. So again, no worries. :)

Cheers.

I never did get why they tried to make Zelenka a perve (TRIO) the writters seem to create a great character then deconstruct them.

I liked Teyla to start with but felt she went backwards during the show. Mainly because her leader staus was pushed to the side after season 2. I wanted to see her negotiate & introduce us to more people's and there customs. Im afraid the baby storyline was not for me, i also had a wtf moment with kannaann.
Ronon was Ok but i didnt think he was fleshed out nearly enough. i hated the love triangle, that realy seperated the team imo. I had always considered them team mates and friends. after all you have to have complete faith that your team has your back, but the triangle of doom seemed to ignore that.

I re-watch seasons 1-3 the most, but like a lot of season 4, season 5 I find my finger paused over the FF button a lot!

F

Frumenta

When you look at things that are personal, Ronon and Shep were the ones that had the best friend connection. Like, there's the time when Ronon just went with John to his dad's funeral because he knew he needed him there and he knew that John wouldn't ask because that would make him seem vulnerable... That's what a best friend does.

Precisely. And it's what Rodney would have done if he didn't have to go to the kiddie planet. And if you get a hold of deleted scenes, it's actually Rodney who gets Ronon to go with Sheppard.

I don't understand why it needs to be a competition here. I see an extremely strong frienship between Sheppard and McKay. It doesn't take in any way from the friendship between Sheppard and Ronon but to pretend that Sheppard secretly hated McKay because he ribbed at him and mocked him from time to time? That makes no sense to me.

I'll leave this alone now, we obviously have to agree to disagree.

And where is all that "Zelenka is a perv" business coming from? Sam made a stupid comment in a stupid episode (gads I HATE Trio). We saw the ep. it's not like Zelenka felt her up during Quarantine. She said that she was stuck there with Zelenka. McKay seized on that comment to score points against Zelenka and make it sound like there was something wrong with getting stuck with Zelenka. It was all bs.

SG-Rocks

GateFans Noob
OMG so early in the morning.

Without doing a line by line, I'd suggest maybe it was the shifting of characters that kept it interesting and not repetitive. I'm watching STNG and after ten hours it's the same people over and over.

I liked Harmony for two reasons: McKay being pwned by a brat and it was something different. It aired and was gone the next week. It was Trio that drove me up the wall. It really gave the impression that the cost accountants had just visited the set. And we know what a stinker Justice was.

Carter was just window dressing in S4 and I never really thought much of the Teyla character. The costumers admitted they leathered her up in the last season. I liked happy Ford but not the bad Ford. I could go on but ...

Fact is nothing was ever as bad as any bit of SGPoo. That remains a question of, can I get those hours of my life back? So I can watch more SG repeats?

F

Frumenta

I took a look at the deleted scenes for season 4, I don't see that there at all. I don't even see any scenes for Outcast at all, but if they are there, then can you tell me where they are? The only deleted scenes in the box set DVD for season 4 are on disc 5, and if it was there then I must have overlooked it. So, can you tell me what comes right before that scene and what comes after it so I can check later?

I was going to bow out of this discussion respectfully but it looks like I misremembered that scene from Miller's Crossing as a scene from Outcast. I don't have access to my DVDs right now but I'm pretty sure you are right and there is no Outcast deleted scene like the one I described. Sorry for making you search for something that doesn't exist.

As for pervy Zelenka, I wasn't referring to your post, just something I caught from someone else's post and I stuck it there in my post without a quote. Oops.

PegDIG2004

GateFans Noob
No worries, and no need to be sorry. We all misremember things. :)

Gotcha on the Zelenka reply. :beckettu: And I agree with your assessment there because I don't think he's a perv either.

Cheers.

I always took Sam's comment to mean that Zelenka is just one of those people that kind of makes you feel uncomfortable when you're around them, but you're not really sure why.

PegDIG2004

GateFans Noob
Yeah, and that was never my impression of Zelenka, neither was it ever the impression of many other fans of the show so it just seemed odd. He was never "creepy" to me, but if other people think he was, then okay.

Yeah, I never thought he was creepy either. I remember thinking when they said that, Aawwww that's so mean. I like Zelenka. He puts up with so much crap. I love Rodney, he's my favorite Stargate character, but he tortures poor Zelenka. I think making Zelenka weird or creepy is one of those tangents the writers went off on and didn't really think about it. They stuck it in because they thought it was funny.

PegDIG2004

GateFans Noob
Yeah, Zelenka did put up with a lot and required so little in return. That's what made me feel bad for him a bit sometimes. He did manage to work well with Rodney though, and he gets much credit for putting up with and sometimes inhibiting McKay's hubris, which was good (and something that not everyone could do).

I think they did stick in there because they thought it was funny as well, and that's what makes it even sadder to me. They didn't think about the character, or what fans thought of that characters, or how he fit the show. They just though, "Hehe, wouldn't this be funny..." and that's not good to me, especially since it wasn't funny. It was a WTF moment for me, to be honest.

Oh, and I'm not trying to take away from McKay because I like him a lot too. He came a long way, especially in Tao of Rodney (which is my favorite Rodney centered ep), and he deserves credit for that as a character as well. Although, some of that was undone in the last 2 seasons imo.

Cheers.

I love the Tao of Rodney. It is such a wonderful stop along the way in the evolution of Rodney McKay. It's one of my favorite episodes, although I still voted for season 4 as my favorite. I think season 4 is my favorite because that was my first season as a regular Stargate viewer. I don't know what rock I was living under before that time, but thankfully I found my way out. :joy:

PegDIG2004

GateFans Noob
Well, for me Tao of Rodney (S3) is where his evolution essentially stopped/hit its peak (with hindsight being what it is (20/20) unfortunately :(), but I don't want to take away from your enjoyment of season 4 because of that, so no need for me to go into details. I'm glad you found your way to SGA fandom as well. So cheers on that, buddy! :)

That's funny. I've always felt that it is almost where his evolution begins. He became human. Of course he's still Rodney so he acts like a spoiled brat most of the time. But he's learning.
It's so wonderful to be able to talk to other people who love Atlantis and know that we may not like it for the same reasons, but we all love it. :smiley_squee:

Lilith

GateFans Noob
I also enjoyed the evolution of Rodney. Tao of Rodney is my favorite. David did a wonderful job. He always entertained me.

PegDIG2004

GateFans Noob
I also enjoyed the evolution of Rodney. Tao of Rodney is my favorite. David did a wonderful job. He always entertained me.

I love that episode so much. I watch it repeatedly. :) I have it on my iPod and watch it when I'm riding the ferry or taking a flight somewhere. I feel like he evolved even more after this episode because he finally tackled the relationship with his sister and he was actually able to be in a relationship with a woman, and really tried his best. Not just with Jennifer but with Katie too for a while. He's much more of a real person after the Tao of Rodney, I think.

F

Frumenta

Hehe, I love how Atlantis4life truly knows the show backwards and forwards! Respect! Good luck on the showrunners getting that sort of commitment and love for SGEwwww.

Interesting discussion on when Rodney actually became a human being. For me he had been human all the way back in SG1's Redemption two parter where he had that conversation with Carter about her physics being art. Very vulnerable, very prickly and if I hadn't loved him in SGA first I would have loved him from that alone. Interestingly I discovered posts in TWOP where after it became known that Shanks would be leaving some people wanted McKay's character for SG1. After only 48 Hours where he had been a complete jerk I don't see how that would have worked though as much as I love Rodney, lol. And even though that makes me a fanbase of one, I would have missed Jonas Quinn.

SG-Rocks

GateFans Noob
I recently watched Moebius S8 19-20 solely due to Rac's O'Neil sig pic that pops up. Him on the Homer - save the world OK. Rodney puts the bite on Librarian Sam. Real funny scene esp where she tries to wipe her hand off after shaking his hand.

Toa of Rodney - great ep esp where he finds out he can't eat.

I'd be watching Universe on DVD too but we know what happened to that one ...

SG-Rocks

GateFans Noob
No, buddy, that was Hide & Seek (S1) when he couldn't eat because of the ancient device that he was wearing (and he technically could, but subconsciously he didn't want to take the device off...).

In Tao, he was eating like a mad-man at a table, and Teyla, Shep, and Ronon were nearby watching him and talking about it. He got a little testy when Ronon whispered to Teyla and John that he thought McKay had gained weight, and that's when Rodney barged in and told him that he hadn't (because by this time in the ep he'd acquired super-hearing as well :P).

LOL about Universe - did you not buy it (like I didn't ;)), or did you use the DVD as a doorstop or bookend? I think somebody said that they are good for leveling tables :P (no offense to people that actually like SGU.)

Oh my bad. I guess I need to think before I post. I remember them explaining the flying donut on the DVD extra. Of course in one he ate too much, the other he couldn't due to the barrier.

I'm watching 24 S1 on DVD right now. Yeah, never seen it. I guess I'm not in SG mode. I hear the new show Sucks. ;)

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
I recently watched Moebius S8 19-20 solely due to Rac's O'Neil sig pic that pops up. Him on the Homer - save the world OK. Rodney puts the bite on Librarian Sam. Real funny scene esp where she tries to wipe her hand off after shaking his hand.

Toa of Rodney - great ep esp where he finds out he can't eat.

I'd be watching Universe on DVD too but we know what happened to that one ...
hehehe my mind control powers are legendary!
hypnotize.gif
moebius 1 & 2 are some of my fave sg1 eps (and no vala either :( I loooove vala!)

so to you mckay-ites...never could stand the whiner...but then I have zero tolerance for whiners - comes from years of babysitting my sisters whiney brats. :P poor little snookie NEVER got to whine...that would get her in a corner so fast.... :eek: I wanted to hurt someone when they began the zelenka is creepy in trio :rolleyes: horrible idea.
I didn't like mckeller or the triangle of doom (come on ladies...WE know that really she would have picked Ronon...she is a smart girl! ;))but even at it's worst SGA is far above sgpoo at it's best! :P

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
I'm watching 24 S1 on DVD right now. Yeah, never seen it. I guess I'm not in SG mode. I hear the new show Sucks. ;)

Yeah, I'm doing a DS9 watch/rewatch (because I didn't see all of the show when it was running live). I hear the new "SG" show sucks too. There's been a lot floating around about that lately. ;)

Same here: I heard the new SG show is a snooze fest. Sucks big time ;)

SG-Rocks

GateFans Noob