Babylon 5 to be rebooted as a feature film?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I ran across this August 2015 article at screenrant.com:

http://screenrant.com/babylon-5-movie-reboot/

babylon-5-reboot-film.jpg

The article goes on to say this:

..Straczynski however, is reviving hope once again for a return of the franchise – or better yet, a fresh beginning. At Comic-Con last month, according to TVWise, the writer and creator of Babylon 5, Jeremiah and the upcoming Netflix series Sense8 (which Straczynski co-created with the Wachowskis), revealed that he’s working on a screenplay for a Babylon 5 feature film and aiming to have it completed in 2015 for a 2016 production start.

I dunno...:eusa_snooty:. How do you tell a 5-year story arc in a feature film? You could do it with three, maybe 5. But one? I do not see how they could do it justice with a single film. I am very glad that J. Michael Straczynski is having success with Sense8 on Netflix, because that means he has some pull to get Babylon 5 back on the screen. However, I think that Babylon 5 is in a tiny group of stories which might not make the transition well. I loved Babylon 5, and I think even a miniseries would be better for a reboot.

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
That would be a tough act to follow.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
That would be a tough act to follow.

Actually, I think that if Straczynski himself was doing the reboot, it is actually an EXCELLENT candidate for a reboot. Use the exact same story and characters and just update the CGI and effects, and we have a winner. I always thought that the effects in Babylon 5 is what made it sub-par, at least when compared visually with everything else that was on at the time. Deep Space Nine did a fair rendition of the concept, and it's creator could do a lot better than his own original.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Clearly they'd have to pare the story down a lot to make it fit a movie. Who knows though, maybe it would be a series of movies. As it is I really can't see a way to condense the show down to fit one movie. I would love to see something new done with B5 though. No complaints there. :beckett_new049:

Last edited:

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Didn't we cover the B5 reboot awhile ago?

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I ran across this August 2015 article at screenrant.com:

http://screenrant.com/babylon-5-movie-reboot/

View attachment 32062

The article goes on to say this:

I dunno...:eusa_snooty:. How do you tell a 5-year story arc in a feature film? You could do it with three, maybe 5. But one? I do not see how they could do it justice with a single film. I am very glad that J. Michael Straczynski is having success with Sense8 on Netflix, because that means he has some pull to get Babylon 5 back on the screen. However, I think that Babylon 5 is in a tiny group of stories which might not make the transition well. I loved Babylon 5, and I think even a miniseries would be better for a reboot.

well, if it was done for netflix then it really wouldn't matter what they call it-film series,etc-they are kind of the same thing there.

That would make better sense, a netflix run

perhaps he and the wachowski's will get some "pull" at NF if sense8 does well?

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Actually, I think that if Straczynski himself was doing the reboot, it is actually an EXCELLENT candidate for a reboot. Use the exact same story and characters and just update the CGI and effects, and we have a winner. I always thought that the effects in Babylon 5 is what made it sub-par, at least when compared visually with everything else that was on at the time. Deep Space Nine did a fair rendition of the concept, and it's creator could do a lot better than his own original.

B5 may have been one of the last scfi (or any genre) show where the story mattered more then the sfx

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Didn't we cover the B5 reboot awhile ago?

Not that I can recall. We do have a thread about the show though.

You need to watch more stuff then :P

Example of that please? :) A modern, recent example would be Humans on AMC. They hardly have any special effects at all, but it is pure science fiction, and done with no green screen or fancy sets. Just people's homes and generic business settings.

ecgordon

Star's Hero
If it's going to be a reboot, the best way to start would be a prequel showing us first contact, and what led up to the Earth-Minbari War.

Gate_Boarder

Well Known GateFan
I suspect that with the decimation of the acting ranks on that show - a reboot would be a must. Out of that huge caste there might be no more than 8 major cast members left. And I can't see a 95 year old Peter Jurasik take on a much younger G'Kar.

Scratch that, Peter Jurasik is only 65.

I think it is time for Bruce Boxleitner to be saved from himself. He now lives at "Cedar Cove" operating some sort of bed and breakfast, surrounded by Andie MacDowell, Teryl Rothery and Barbara Niven. Oh, the inhumanity.

Mind you that still leaves Claudia Christian, Jerry Doyle, Bill Mumy, Tracy Scoggins, as well as Mira Furlan who portrayed Delenne, and Patricia Talman who still seems to work with JM Stracynski.

We could throw in Jason Carter and Andrea Thompson for the re-boot, but what actors could actually fill G'Kar's, or even Xathros-s-s-s shoes?

New actors in old roles. I don't know about that one?

Last edited:

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
If it's going to be a reboot, the best way to start would be a prequel showing us first contact, and what led up to the Earth-Minbari War.
Indeed.
B5 started very much "in media res", and a modern film about that time period could be fantastic.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I suspect that with the decimation of the acting ranks on that show - a reboot would be a must. Out of that huge caste there might be no more than 8 major cast members left. And I can't see a 95 year old Peter Jurasik take on a much younger G'Kar.

Scratch that, Peter Jurasik is only 65.

I think it is time for Bruce Boxleitner to be saved from himself. He now lives at "Cedar Cove" operating some sort of bed and breakfast, surrounded by Andie MacDowell, Teryl Rothery and Barbara Niven. Oh, the inhumanity.

Mind you that still leaves Bruce Boxleitner, Claudia Christian, Jerry Doyle, Bill Mumy, Tracy Scoggins, as well as Mira Furlan who portrayed Delenne, and Patricia Talman who still seems to work with JM Stracynski.

We could throw in Jason Carter and Andrea Thompson for the re-boot, but what actors could actually fill G'Kar's, or even Xathros-s-s-s shoes?

New actors in old roles. I don't know about that one?

I think it should be S.O.P that original actors do not reprise their roles. I think that if the shows are revived, however, then yeah. But reboots? Reboot the actors too. I do not want to see Captain Kirk ever played by William Shatner ever again, even though he is the quintessential Captain Kirk of TOS and the movies. Not because I don't like him or his acting, but because his time is passed. Let's get all new actors for the reboot. It will be difficult to find somebody to play G'Kar.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

That would be cool, but that would not be Babylon 5.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
That would be cool, but that would not be Babylon 5.

Thats why it was and would be a "prequel" to B5

the outcome of that war is what caused the construction of the babylon stations, and the depiction of that war and what happened in it is essential to the story of B5-at least it was in the TOS

if anyone doesn't instantly know what I am talking about WITHOUT LOOKING IT UP, is NO true B5 fan! :icon_lol: