Babylon 5 - 2015 Rewatch

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Okay, I have dug out my Babylon 5 files, the movies and the 5 seasons of the show, and I am planning to do a rewatch. Has anybody rewatched this recently?

ecgordon

Star's Hero
I started a few weeks back, limiting it to no more than two episodes a week, on Wednesdays (since there's not anything else that I watch on that night), and either Saturday or Sunday. I'll be watching Episode 11 sometime later today.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I started a few weeks back, limiting it to no more than two episodes a week, on Wednesdays (since there's not anything else that I watch on that night), and either Saturday or Sunday. I'll be watching Episode 11 sometime later today.

That's the best way to watch this show. :) A bit at a time, because the story has many twists and turns, and the long arc weaves through the short episodic arcs that happen in each episode. This show is AWESOME. It's a shame that this is not held up as the holy grail of scifi writing instead of NuBSG which is crap in comparison.

ecgordon

Star's Hero
Overall, I think B5 is the best SF show on TV ever, even better than any of the Treks. However, the first season was its weakest, both in writing and acting. But Seasons 2-4 are awesome, and 5 would have been too if he hadn't panicked and threw story meant for 5 into 4. On the other hand, NuBSG started strong, had a very good first season, but then went completely off the rails when they ran out of story and couldn't remember what the Plan was supposed to be.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Okay, I have dug out my Babylon 5 files, the movies and the 5 seasons of the show, and I am planning to do a rewatch. Has anybody rewatched this recently?

last time i rewatched it was when it was still on netflix--right when they started streaming service

then it was taken off

for those of us who don't 'walk the plank" so to speak--are there any streamer's carrying this?

ecgordon

Star's Hero
The only place I can find that is streaming B5 is Amazon, but it's not on Prime. Rental of each episode is $1.99. Good thing I've got the DVDs.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
last time i rewatched it was when it was still on netflix--right when they started streaming service

then it was taken off

for those of us who don't 'walk the plank" so to speak--are there any streamer's carrying this?

No. I checked. I walked the plank and came back with an HD full collection including the movies and artwork and special videos. I have more than a terabyte of storage space, so why not? :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I am loving this show again so much. :) It deserves a reboot done properly, and we do NOT need the original characters to make it work. I would hope that a reboot would keep the alien parts intact (from the correct races). I would imagine they might change the appearance of the Centauri and maybe even the Narn and Minbari too. They could change the Vorlons too. The ships could change easily, since most of the designs in the original show are somewhat forgettable. The station itself needs to change designs too. Something more formidable looking. Something which LOOKS as huge as it is. Still, they did a good job with it.

Going into Season 2.

Last edited:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I am loving this show again so much. :) It deserves a reboot done properly, and we do NOT need the original characters to make it work. I would hope that a reboot would keep the alien parts intact (from the correct races). I would imagine they might change the appearance of the Centauri and maybe even the Narn and Minbari too. They could change the Vorlons too. The ships could change easily, since most of the designs in the original show are somewhat forgettable. The station itself needs to change designs too. Something more formidable looking. Something which LOOKS as huge as it is. Still, they did a good job with it.

Going into Season 2.

I read before that this is nearly EXACTLY the same thing JJ Abrams thought about Star Trek!! :happy0007:

Last edited by a moderator:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I read before that this is nearly EXACTLY the same thing JJ Abrams thought about Star Trek!! :happy0007:

This is much much different. We have the original creator of the show doing the reboot. :) Gene Roddenberry totally changed everything in Star Trek to create The Next Generation. He said that ST: TNG was his vision of Star Trek from the beginning, not compromised by the desires of TPTB at Desilu and Paramount for TOS. He was right on point. Post-TOS Trek was the best Trek.

Last edited:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
This is much much different. We have the original creator of the show doing the reboot. :) Gene Roddenberry totally changed everything in Star Trek to create The Next Generation. He said that ST: TNG was his vision of Star Trek from the beginning, not compromised by the desires of TPTB at Desilu and Paramount for TOS. He was right on point. Post-TOS Trek was the best Trek.

:smiley-laughing011:

Last edited by a moderator:

ecgordon

Star's Hero
Last night I watched the Season One episode than nearly got me to give up on the show the first time around. "TKO"

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Last night I watched the Season One episode than nearly got me to give up on the show the first time around. "TKO"

I hated that one too. :) I figured it was just a flub episode because the previous 13 episodes were good. Definitely a filler!