Apple's new key design is comical...

Discussion in 'Apple Stuff' started by Joelist, Apr 25, 2017.

1. Joelist

Joelist I'm showing this for a reason! Staff Member

I got a chance to try typing on one of the new Macbook Pros, which now use the same keyboard design as the Macbook. Here is a partial picture:

IMG_0150.JPG

I don't know if the picture shows this, but the distance from top of key to the keyboard surface is only about 1mm. This means these keys have a VERY shallow travel. Combine that with the usual Apple flat tops and it is a recipe for constant typos.

Why can't they leave well enough alone? To put it lightly Lenovo ThinkPads still have far and away the best typing experience. Apple's actually got worse.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Overmind One

Overmind One GateFans Gatemaster Staff Member

The answer: Cost.

They can use the same keyboard on the Pro, the Macbook and the Mac Pro and manufacture it for cheaper. Nothing changes at Apple. :)

3. Joelist

That's the funny part - this keyboard design isn't cheaper - the custom rockers under the keys actually cost more. I think they are falling in love with their own designs too much, and ignoring that one reason the Macbook has not sold super well has been the poor keyboard experience.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Lord Ba'al

Lord Ba'al GateFans Member

Pfffft... Apple crap. He who owns an Apple and swears it is the best thing ever is an absolute moron.

• Winner Winner x 2
  5. Joelist

I can't deny that the machines are well built, and recently they have been better at not always being 12+ months behind on the tech in them. But yes, I think to a lot of people owning an Apple is a "style" thing, and they don't give much thought to functionality, power and such. Well, I do.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Lord Ba'al

Don't get me wrong. It's fine to own Apple products. It's also fine to like Apple products. But being an Apple fanboi is not okay.

Speaking from the perspective of someone who works fulltime in first line customer and technical support, if you are using our shit and it has been working fine for years and then Apple brings out an update and suddenly that shit don't work no more for any Apple user, then why the fuck are you calling me? Why don't you fucking call Apple?

You know what I mean? Those people bug the shit out of me.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Joelist

I understand completely. Alas users (especially Apple bots) tend not to be able to distinguish between the hardware, the operating system and software running on the operating system.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. Lord Ba'al

Indeed!

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Joelist

I am having to use one of these as my primary driver due to my usual machine having an unintended meeting with a large, heavy object :S

The screen is beautiful, the speed is impressive but the typing experience is nightmarish. I have to keep my eyes on the keyboard all the time because the super shallow travel makes using this thing almost like using the on screen touch keyboard on a tablet.

I can't wait until I can work a replacement and get back on a ThinkPad!

• Like Like x 1