Apple vowed to sue Google over Android ... but steals some of its best features?

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
:icon_rotflmao::icon_rotflmao::SmileyLaughingTears:

Android has also had carousel -based apps for as long as I can remember.

Here's a long, boring video detailing Android's IOS 7's features.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
:icon_rotflmao::icon_rotflmao::SmileyLaughingTears:

Android has also had carousel -based apps for as long as I can remember.

Here's a long, boring video detailing Android's IOS 7's features.

Apple is so far behind now that it cant hope to catch up to Android. Its not because iOS cannot move forward, its because Apple's "locked in time" OS has the majority of its apps developed mostly for its puny 3" screen from the original iPhone, with the newer ones developed for its still relatively puny 4" screen in the iPhone 5. Those apps cant access much of iOS and so you do not get the ability to change launchers or icons or have live wallpapers or widgets. As long as Apple keeps its walled garden locked off, the true nature of it's UNIX-based OS will never be seen by Apple users.

I find all Apple devices boring and hopelessly crippled by Apple's walled garden approach. I was just in the Apple store buying an iPod Touch for our development department, and here is a (somewhat fuzzy) picture I snapped in the Manhattan Beach Apple Store...LMAO...its packed every day.

2013-06-11 14.15.10.jpg

Something else I noticed, and Samsung has also seemed to notice is that Apple users are much older than Android users. There were LOTS of seniors in that store, as well as hipsters and middle aged people like me. The only young people I see in that store were kids with their parents (girls mostly), a few teens with their moms (they were helping Mom pick out her first iPhone), and older men who were sitting to have their MacBook Air repaired. Evidently, failure of the SSD in the Air is a very common issue.

I find the entire Applephile crowd laughably and pathetically tricked. :anim_59:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I've been playing with iOS7 for the past few days.

Not anything earthshattering.

I notice some new things with the notifications pulldown (which they stole from Android too). Anything deeper in iOS7 that stands out from iOS6?

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
I notice some new things with the notifications pulldown (which they stole from Android too). Anything deeper in iOS7 that stands out from iOS6?
You can actually block numbers from calling you (as long as you assign them to a contact name, whatever that might be). That one's been a long time coming.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
You can actually block numbers from calling you (as long as you assign them to a contact name, whatever that might be). That one's been a long time coming.

A BLOCK feature that doesn't go to voice mail should be available across the board on all phones and plans. Obviously there would be resistance to it from various groups but I love the idea. Case in point, I've got an old caller ID device on for my house phone (yes, I still have one of those) that I got back when caller ID first started. If a private number attempts to come thru it is automatically cut off and dumped. No voice mail or any of that nonsense. I love it! Shortly after I bought it though I found out they no longer made that model. Now with cell phones (and the fact that they're basically computers) it's high time that a total block feature was available.

Bluce Ree

A BLOCK feature that doesn't go to voice mail should be available across the board on all phones and plans. Obviously there would be resistance to it from various groups but I love the idea. Case in point, I've got an old caller ID device on for my house phone (yes, I still have one of those) that I got back when caller ID first started. If a private number attempts to come thru it is automatically cut off and dumped. No voice mail or any of that nonsense. I love it! Shortly after I bought it though I found out they no longer made that model. Now with cell phones (and the fact that they're basically computers) it's high time that a total block feature was available.

Android has had an app for that since before it included the spam feature by default. I'm pretty sure iPhlop has had apps for that in its app dungeon store as well.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Android has had an app for that since before it included the spam feature by default. I'm pretty sure iPhlop has had apps for that in its app dungeon store as well.

iPhlop

:rotflmao::smiley-laughing024::shep_lol::jackanime14::icon_rotflmao::SmileyLaughingTears:

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
At least I won't have to set those kinds of calls to silent/no vibrate and have to delete voicemails anymore. That works for me. And you're right, they should have had that capability built into the damned phones from the start. Most phone companies seem to want to charge you to block numbers, and then they limit how many they'll block.

Bluce Ree

I just did a quick scan of the apps for Apple to block numbers and they all seem to only be available on Cydia, which requires your phone to be jailbroken.

Android seems to have a plethora of apps to do all sorts of neat stuff to unwanted callers. :D

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
I just did a quick scan of the apps for Apple to block numbers and they all seem to only be available on Cydia, which requires your phone to be jailbroken.

Android seems to have a plethora of apps to do all sorts of neat stuff to unwanted callers. :D
The new one that comes with iOS7 blocks calls completely, all the way down to text and voice messages. It's not something that comes from an outside developer, so no app to download/pay for.

Bluce Ree

The new one that comes with iOS7 blocks calls completely, all the way down to text and voice messages. It's not something that comes from an outside developer, so no app to download/pay for.

I know but it's sad to think that the functionality is trivial from a development point of view and to access free apps that handle unwanted calls & sms requires that you jailbreak your phone. These apps have been around for years and many are free, like this one:

http://www.funkyspacemonkey.com/mobilegate-block-incoming-calls-sms-messages-iphone

Apple seems to have blocked anything from their crApp Store that would take the carrier's ability to charge for a particular function that is easily addressed by an app.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I know but it's sad to think that the functionality is trivial from a development point of view and to access free apps that handle unwanted calls & sms requires that you jailbreak your phone. These apps have been around for years and many are free, like this one:

http://www.funkyspacemonkey.com/mobilegate-block-incoming-calls-sms-messages-iphone

Apple seems to have blocked anything from their crApp Store that would take the carrier's ability to charge for a particular function that is easily addressed by an app.

It comes free on the GS4...you just hold the caller's name in the notification and it says "Block". Same with texts. I am so sick of Apple's Johnny Come Lately announcements. They no longer compare to Galaxy class phones and have not since the GS2. I was setting up email on a co-worker's iPhone 5 and it feels positively dainty to me. :anim_59:

All Apple can do now is hope that the prettiness of the phone and clever (but misleading) advertising still continues to dupe the sheep into thinking they have a truly premium phone when they do not. The iPhone is now comparable to mid-level Android phones moreso than a device like the GS3 or GS4 or HTC One.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
The irony of iOS7 is that most of the functionality stuff are things they should have done several versions ago. And at that they still lack basic things like:

1) A Finder (file manager) equivalent for the phone
2) Text Reflow in the browser and OS

A lot of the basic design language in the new look actually comes from Windows Phone (flat, basic colors, getting rid of the GPU/CPU cycle eating 3D effects and textures in the basic UI and so forth). Derivative indeed - they "borrowed" from WebOS, Android and WinPhone.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
When I can, I want to get a Windows phone. It just makes more sense to have one that's compatible with my computers.

For now, it's not in the ballpark for me (Money? What is this "money" to which you refer?), so for now, Waiting Is.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The irony of iOS7 is that most of the functionality stuff are things they should have done several versions ago. And at that they still lack basic things like:

1) A Finder (file manager) equivalent for the phone
2) Text Reflow in the browser and OS

A lot of the basic design language in the new look actually comes from Windows Phone (flat, basic colors, getting rid of the GPU/CPU cycle eating 3D effects and textures in the basic UI and so forth). Derivative indeed - they "borrowed" from WebOS, Android and WinPhone.

OMG...your list is still way too short! And this is just the software...the hardware list would be a joke.

• No true multitasking
  • No ability to modify icons or screen grid
  • No ability to add more screens
  • No circular scrolling of screens
  • No widgets (forget live widgets...lol)
  • No Flash support
  • Native maps/navigation is far inferior to Google Maps and Navigation
I do not see what the advantage of having an iPhone would be...now that I have a Galaxy S4, I dont see ANY level of anything that an iPhone would have...and NO, there is no lag at all in Jelly Bean on the GS4. It is buttery smooth with nary a glitch or a hiccup. Even the screen pixel density and resolution and the "retina" display has been trounced by the GS4.